TTC GM New Look Fishbowl Preservation

TTCNLFBT

44 minutes ago, Ed T. said:

Is the bus still at Queensway? I don't recognise that loop, but it sure is nowhere near Hillcrest. Maybe somewhere in western Etobicoke?

Came back to malvern last Monday. It was only at queens way for the parade staging, since they were travelling west to east along lakeshore boulevard. 

• 2 weeks later...

Harper did 2252’s so they likely did it this time around too.  Two strokes are still reasonably common in marine applications, so the few old timers there keep their skills sharp mostly on those. They may have a go-to guy who strictly deals with boats and off highway equipment. Obviously no one here has been near one in at least 8 years, so the skills are forgotten, along with the special feeler gauges and injector height tools.

1 hour ago, Bus_Medic said:

Incorrect. Straight 30 weight, not multigrade as per Detroit diesel spec.

My apologies. I stand corrected. I’m not very mechanically inclined with engine, but if the engine took 15w-40, how catastrophic would that be to the engine?

1 hour ago, bus_7246 said:

My apologies. I stand corrected. I’m not very mechanically inclined with engine, but if the engine took 15w-40, how catastrophic would that be to the engine?

It’d run ok, It would be a little on the thin side, would make the inherent external leaks that much worse. It wouldn’t be my first choice, but if I was stuck at a truck stop somewhere and that all they had, I’d use it to top up without losing much sleep over it.

An online private coach owners forum I frequent recommends Chevron Delo 40 weight for 2 stroke Detroits.

20 hours ago, Bus_Medic said:

Harper did 2252’s so they likely did it this time around too.  Two strokes are still reasonably common in marine applications, so the few old timers there keep their skills sharp mostly on those. They may have a go-to guy who strictly deals with boats and off highway equipment. Obviously no one here has been near one in at least 8 years, so the skills are forgotten, along with the special feeler gauges and injector height tools.

2 engines were sent to harper to get redone but they farmed them out. the first one went in 2252 and we already had to put a head on it LOL. The second has been sitting around the shop and is going in 8058. The boys had to change the bellhousing to the correct one for the old 2 speed. I still have my tune up stuff for them. No problem, let me at it !

• Like 2

5 hours ago, valvebodyguy said:

2 engines were sent to harper to get redone but they farmed them out. the first one went in 2252 and we already had to put a head on it LOL. The second has been sitting around the shop and is going in 8058. The boys had to change the bellhousing to the correct one for the old 2 speed. I still have my tune up stuff for them. No problem, let me at it !

Good to hear you still have the tune up stuff. The tools we had at Mt Dennis are long gone.

18 hours ago, Bus_Medic said:

It ain’t 30 weight but...

http://www.redlineoil.com/15w40-diesel-motor-oil

protip: don’t waste your money.

That's a pretty reasonable statement for all Red Line products.

I am a bit curious how a two-stroke diesel's oiling system works. I assume that oil is not added to the fuel--unlike small two-stroke gas engines--and also that something that pushes a bus must have a full flow pressurized oil system. I guess that being a diesel, the fuel itself is injected directly into the cylinders instead of finding its way through the crankcase.....so the crankcase contains only pressurized air? In which case, how does the lubricating oil spilling out of the main bearings, or coating the cylinder walls to keep the rigs lubed, not get sucked into the engine and burnt?

Since the engines obviously run and run well, they must differ in various ways from gasoline engine two-stroke technology.

Another term to defining a two cycle diesel is a uniflow scavenged  engine. Basically intake and exhaust happen simultaneously. The air box (intake manifold between the blower and cylinder intake ports) and crankcase are always at slightly higher than atmospheric pressure. There is also an extra set of oil control rings at the bottom of the piston skirt to keep splashed oil below the intake ports.  The positive crankcase pressure is the culprit behind their infamous external oil leaks.

7745D1D8-5E5A-4210-A19E-2143020A0A96.thumb.jpeg.03f20b323890f04e5c7004731393f86f.jpeg

this article sums it up pretty well.

http://www.railmotorsociety.org.au/rm_engine_diesel_page.htm

The blower vane bearings are fed oil too, and weeping seals are common, introducing oil into the intake, causing the all too common bluish puffs of smoke revving up after an extended period of idling.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Doggosareamazing said:

Redline does make good oil that is overpriced. (The apple of oil) Runs good in my Corolla. So SAE 30 is only Dino or can it be a full synthetic/ synthetic blend for 6V71 applications?

If you can find it, 30 weight synthetic is fine, but not really necessary unless you’re starting cold daily in sub zero temperatures....But in that case a switch to 15-40 may not be a bad idea from November to April anyway.

Admittedly I run Mobil1 5w-30 in both my rides, but especially my Honda. It’s lived outside exclusively since 2014 (it’s an ‘03) without a block heater.

On 7/11/2019 at 10:29 PM, Bus_Medic said:

If you can find it, 30 weight synthetic is fine, but not really necessary unless you’re starting cold daily in sub zero temperatures....But in that case a switch to 15-40 may not be a bad idea from November to April anyway.

Admittedly I run Mobil1 5w-30 in both my rides, but especially my Honda. It’s lived outside exclusively since 2014 (it’s an ‘03) without a block heater.

High mile synth or reg synth?

8 hours ago, Doggosareamazing said:

High mile synth or reg synth?

Stay away from high mileage. There are additives that swell oil seals deliberately to stop oil leaks short term. Long term, it hastens their destruction.

3 hours ago, Bus_Medic said:

Stay away from high mileage. There are additives that swell oil seals deliberately to stop oil leaks short term. Long term, it hastens their destruction.

Yeah, that’s what I did, no high mileage. 120,000KM is like 70,000 miles, not much. Bottle is just deceptive.

• 4 weeks later...