TTC GM New Look Fishbowl Preservation

TTCNLFBT

10 hours ago, jor said:

I hope 8058 survives longer than the second 8058 (the Orion vii)

GM 8058 is a 1975 bus which was retired in November 2004 (29 years).  It will be restored by 2021 (TTC's 100th Anniversary).  Orion VII 8058 is a 2007 bus which is still active. (12 years old)  It will retire sometime in 2020-2021.  

• Like 6

I believe that 8058 has gone inside Harvey Shop to be worked on.  I was comparing photos between 8058 on page 2 and rebuilt 9028.  If you look at the rear photo of 9028 you will see a reflection of parts bus 2345, but it doesn't have 8058 at the front facing east.  

Edited by TTCNLFBT

On 4/30/2019 at 11:06 PM, Shawn Mikee Isidro said:

What is the procedure to view 2252 in Malvern Division? Is there a fee?

You would need to report to the office and ask for a tour of the garage, but 95% of the time they don't let you go in so gl with that :D

On 4/30/2019 at 11:06 PM, Shawn Mikee Isidro said:

What is the procedure to view 2252 in Malvern Division? Is there a fee?

There is no fee. You can always call ahead of time and ask. That way they can arrange a member of staff to show you around.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 5/2/2019 at 9:48 AM, TTCNLFBT said:

I believe that 8058 has gone inside Harvey Shop to be worked on.  I was comparing photos between 8058 on page 2 and rebuilt 9028.  If you look at the rear photo of 9028 you will see a reflection of parts bus 2345, but it doesn't have 8058 at the front facing east.  

I've been off this week. I'll check on it next week when i go back

• Thanks 4

2 hours ago, leylandvictory2 said:

don't bother.  employees are busy here and there.

Well, it'd be interesting if they had preserved another New Look and perhaps convert it to battery-electric drive - it'd be completely bringing 40-year-old iconic vehicles into the future!

• Haha 3
  • Confused 3

14 hours ago, Transit geek said:

Well, it'd be interesting if they had preserved another New Look and perhaps convert it to battery-electric drive - it'd be completely bringing 40-year-old iconic vehicles into the future!

If you were willing to sacrifice capacity, you could (easily enough*) convert an ETS BBC to battery-electric.

*As in the drivetrain is already electric, you'd just have to wire in the batteries.

What would be a bit more of a challenge would to convert a CLRV into a battery-electric bus, with rubber tires

• Confused 1

19 hours ago, Transit geek said:

They should hook up a flux capacitor and take it back to the future!*

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, leylandvictory2 said:

fibra canning converted a fishbowl into a cng bus.

There were a few that were converted to CNG that ran in Hamilton as well. The FIBA Canning unit might have been scrapped.

Just now, TTC 9701 said:

There were a few that were converted to CNG that ran in Hamilton as well. The FIBA Canning unit might have been scrapped.

It was a hydraulically powered hybrid, using a pressure accumulating tank, and a CNG fuelled V8 to run the pump.

To my knowledge it still exists.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, leylandvictory2 said:

fibra canning converted a fishbowl into a cng bus.

4 hours ago, TTC 9701 said:

There were a few that were converted to CNG that ran in Hamilton as well.

2 hours ago, Imgursdownvote4love said:

Medicine Hat Transit converted two in the 1990's. Both were sold for scrap, but both still exist.

Let's not forget that OC Transpo converted several Fishbowls from diesel to propane and back in the 1980s.