TTC GM New Look Fishbowl Preservation

TTCNLFBT

Instructions:

I created this thread to keep this and TTC GM Fleet Reminiscing separated.  Reminiscing means enjoying and viewing the past according to a Google search.  Which means: sharing pictures, videos and information in the past, not present or future.  Posting pictures, videos and information about these buses in revenue service should be posted TTC GM Fleet Reminiscing thread.  In this thread members talk about the current or future TTC GM New Look Fishbowl Preservation Fleet.  Such as restoration, sightings, current or future transit events, etc.  Sharing current: Pictures, videos and information about TTC GM's is acceptable.     

• Like 2

6 hours ago, TTCNLFBT said:

To any TTC members who works in or around Harvey Shop:  Has 8058 entered restoration?  The reason I asked is because I want to keep notes of the restoration.

Don't worry about 8058 it will be done when it's done.

2 hours ago, 7575 said:

That piece of crap was rusted all the way to the frame. I wouldn't be surprised if it was scrapped.

Tubular built buses (old looks, new looks, classics, and FIL coaches) were all panels and rivets. No frame. I can’t speak for the floor support, but I do recall to the best of my knowledge that this bus has no frame

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, bus_7246 said:

Tubular built buses (old looks, new looks, classics, and FIL coaches) were all panels and rivets. No frame. I can’t speak for the floor support, but I do recall to the best of my knowledge that this bus has no frame

I do believe there was a "frame" under the bus.

9 hours ago, bus_7246 said:

Floor is under tension, basically ties the walls together, along with the longitudinal bulkheads. FIL (not sure if you mean flyer or flxible), but flyers did have tubular sub frames.

8 hours ago, 7575 said:

I do believe there was a "frame" under the bus.

It’s monocoque construction. Think aircraft fuselage. Suspension anchor points were reinforced, but there’s no frame in the conventional sense.

28 minutes ago, Bus_Medic said:

Floor is under tension, basically ties the walls together, along with the longitudinal bulkheads. FIL (not sure if you mean flyer or flxible), but flyers did have tubular sub frames.

Flyer Industries Limited. Got lazy after a ridiculously long day 

17 hours ago, bus_7246 said:

The New Look was a bit of a revelation at the time in that it was built very much like an automobile - with stamped steel and aluminum panels being overlapped and attached to each other. In that sense, no, it doesn't have a tubular steel self-supporting frame like a modern bus has. A New Look needs certain structural elements in order to retain its strength - the fore and aft bulkheads, and the floor. The RTS was built in largely the same matter, but the panels were welded together rather than rivetted.

The Classic was kind of weird bastard - below the window belt, it is exactly like the New Look, all sheet metal stampings. Above the windows, however, it used a tubular steel frame, and the interior and exterior panels were hung from that. Those panels otherwise imparted very little strength to the design.

Of course, the issue with this kind of design is that damage to the exterior panels, because they impart strength to the overall design, can lead to problems. And there were also design issues with the New Look that never got resolved in its 27 year production run. For instance, the interface between the rear bulkhead and the floor - over time the bulkhead would impart an upwards force on the floor, and without reinforcing the floor would break at that point. And on most properties, it was just simply easier to replace that section of floor than it was to design a brace that GM never felt they needed.

Dan

• Thanks 1

On 2/27/2019 at 6:24 PM, leylandvictory2 said:

I have been told 8058 has been scrapped due to poor condition.  I can't confirm or deny this rumor.

Its still at Hillcrest, in Harvey shop, it has not been scrapped.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Tom1122 said:

Any idea if 2252 was in the St. Patrick's Day parade today?

How likely will 2252 be in the Easter parade and/or the Pride parade?

I don't know about today's parade. I believe an Artic was in the parade.

19 hours ago, Tom1122 said:

Any idea if 2252 was in the St. Patrick's Day parade today?

How likely will 2252 be in the Easter parade and/or the Pride parade?

For the Easter parade TTC usually announces it in their news section on their website or Facebook.  I'm not sure if it will be used for Santa Clause parade because from the looks in the photos at CUTA 2018 event, it looks like it has a Christmas theme destination sign.

1 hour ago, TTCNLFBT said:

For the Easter parade TTC usually announces it in their news section on their website or Facebook.  I'm not sure if it will be used for Santa Clause parade because from the looks in the photos at CUTA 2018 event, it looks like it has a Christmas theme destination sign.

It has a themed sign for basically every holiday, they're styled in the same way GO Transit's SuperLo buses had them

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TechnicaProductions said:

It has a themed sign for basically every holiday, they're styled in the same way GO Transit's SuperLo buses had them

Does the new destination sign still have the old route names and numbers?  For example: 8 Broadview?  Just in case if someone wants to charter it and replicate the route.

• 3 weeks later...