Jump to content

The future of Buses is Battery-Electric


MikeyB
 Share

Recommended Posts

Some things to note from these pictures:
- They've chosen a different type of seat, it appears to be the American Seating InSight. These are the plastic/fibreglass version of the stainless steel Vision seats that have been used on other buses, possibly changed for weight.
- They've gone with Alcoa (aluminum) rims instead of steel. Probably also for weight, but they do look great.
- The rear door has a different opening mechanism than the combination push bar/grab handle used on the rest of the fleet except the Inveros.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Flalex72 said:

Some things to note from these pictures:
- They've chosen a different type of seat, it appears to be the American Seating InSight. These are the plastic/fibreglass version of the stainless steel Vision seats that have been used on other buses, possibly changed for weight.
- They've gone with Alcoa (aluminum) rims instead of steel. Probably also for weight, but they do look great.
- The rear door has a different opening mechanism than the combination push bar/grab handle used on the rest of the fleet except the Inveros.

The destination sign is surprising...

They also seem to have gone back to 16x160 Luminator Horizon front and 8x96 Horizon side signs like on the artics/Inveros instead of the 200x24 Titan Front and 14x112 Titan Side signs found on the Novas.

Total downgrade in my opinion.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Flalex72 said:

Some things to note from these pictures:
- They've chosen a different type of seat, it appears to be the American Seating InSight. These are the plastic/fibreglass version of the stainless steel Vision seats that have been used on other buses, possibly changed for weight.
- They've gone with Alcoa (aluminum) rims instead of steel. Probably also for weight, but they do look great.
- The rear door has a different opening mechanism than the combination push bar/grab handle used on the rest of the fleet except the Inveros.

So the rear door handle/bar is essentially the same thing just less potential for damage over time. It’s more of a “Touch Bar” vs push bar but will handle the same. Everything else you mentioned is correct, it’s to reduce weight wherever possible due to the batteries weighing so much 

 

5 hours ago, dudebrains said:

The destination sign is surprising...

They also seem to have gone back to 16x160 Luminator Horizon front and 8x96 Horizon side signs like on the artics/Inveros instead of the 200x24 Titan Front and 14x112 Titan Side signs found on the Novas.

Total downgrade in my opinion.

From what I’ve heard, the signs were more so an old spec sheet new Flyer had for OC and therefor was used on the Xcelsiors ( If I’m wrong someone correct me ) but I do agree it’s a downgrade compared to the Nova’s 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, ZümmyZüm said:

So the rear door handle/bar is essentially the same thing just less potential for damage over time. It’s more of a “Touch Bar” vs push bar but will handle the same. Everything else you mentioned is correct, it’s to reduce weight wherever possible due to the batteries weighing so much

Yeah, it's not like we're going back to the CLASS system from the original Novas. I believe these bars are capacitive touch instead of a mechanical switch, which people will hopefully figure out pretty quickly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Flalex72 said:

Yeah, it's not like we're going back to the CLASS system from the original Novas. I believe these bars are capacitive touch instead of a mechanical switch, which people will hopefully figure out pretty quickly.

When 6351-6398 were brand new, they were equipped with the touch bars rather than push bars. People get VERY aggressive with them, especially when the doors have a slower response. I can see the doors or at least, the bars, getting damaged very frequently because of this.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/27/2021 at 5:20 PM, dudebrains said:

The destination sign is surprising...

They also seem to have gone back to 16x160 Luminator Horizon front and 8x96 Horizon side signs like on the artics/Inveros instead of the 200x24 Titan Front and 14x112 Titan Side signs found on the Novas.

Total downgrade in my opinion.

To me, this honestly sounds like a funding issue. Is OC Transpo unable to afford the Titan models? I understand with the loss of profit due to COVID-19 and maybe a bit with the O-Train shutting down for two months and people choosing ridershare services due to large crowds. I was expecting those going forward. Disappointed, but I can't wait to be on one to see what it's like. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, TMTheBusFan said:

I understand with the loss of profit due to COVID-19 and maybe a bit with the O-Train shutting down for two months

What profit? Virtually all transit service nation wide operates at a loss and is subsidized by taxpayers. There is no profit to be made in transit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, TMTheBusFan said:

To me, this honestly sounds like a funding issue. Is OC Transpo unable to afford the Titan models? I understand with the loss of profit due to COVID-19 and maybe a bit with the O-Train shutting down for two months and people choosing ridershare services due to large crowds. I was expecting those going forward. Disappointed, but I can't wait to be on one to see what it's like. 

I am guessing when they put it out for tender they didn't specify in detail what model destination sign they wanted and stuff like that, so when NFI won the bid they just put what ever equipment they could get for less cost, also probably by the buses are coming with the Smaller Steering wheel 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's only 4 buses. Who's to say come the next order of 74 buses(assuming it NFI) they may order them with the other sign mention earlier post? 

In all honesty I hope they go with the Nova/NFI 60LFR signs as there way easier to read then the ones on the INVERO's. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, MCIBUS said:

It's only 4 buses. Who's to say come the next order of 74 buses(assuming it NFI) they may order them with the other sign mention earlier post? 

In all honesty I hope they go with the Nova/NFI 60LFR signs as there way easier to read then the ones on the INVERO's. 

The Invero and D60LFR signs are the same.

5 hours ago, Loud-Invero said:

Unless you're the general manager for the travesty that is OC :P

No. That's city council, who wants a higher farebox recovery ratio. The general manager serves at the pleasure of council (through the city manager).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I spotted at least two of the XE40 buses parked inside the St. Laurent garage as I was driving by on St. Laurent Blvd. and Belfast Road this evening.  Of course, I couldn't catch the numbers because they were deep inside the garage and I only saw them briefly through an open door.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, tomsbuspage said:

I spotted at least two of the XE40 buses parked inside the St. Laurent garage as I was driving by on St. Laurent Blvd. and Belfast Road this evening.  Of course, I couldn't catch the numbers because they were deep inside the garage and I only saw them briefly through an open door.

2102 and 2104 were plugged in at the back of lane 22 when I finished my shift. 2101 (weight simulation test) bus was parked at the front of 24. 2103 was not seen.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Saw in a Facebook group that the XE40 has a passenger assistance alarm or PAA at the back of the bus. First standard 40 ft buses to receive them. 

Only other units in the fleet are all double deckers and articulated buses that are 6404 and higher (D60LFR). They are in-place in case of an incident occurs in the back of the bus and if the passenger cannot reach the front to notify the operator. That is what the PAA is for. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, GTAmissions1 said:

Saw in a Facebook group that the XE40 has a passenger assistance alarm or PAA at the back of the bus. First standard 40 ft buses to receive them. 

Only other units in the fleet are all double deckers and articulated buses that are 6404 and higher (D60LFR). They are in-place in case of an incident occurs in the back of the bus and if the passenger cannot reach the front to notify the operator. That is what the PAA is for. 

That would be because the basic specs of this bus were followed from the last order we received from New Flyer. Hence the reasoning for Luminator Horizon signs also.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The City of Ottawa Auditor General Office has tabled a report regarding the Electric Bus: https://app05.ottawa.ca/sirepub/mtgviewer.aspx?meetid=8602&doctype=agenda&itemid=420632

The report is to be discussed on February 22, 2022 at 9:30am at the City's Audit Committee (provided it doesn't get cancelled due to the ongoing trucker's convoy situation). 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...