The future of Buses is Battery-Electric

MikeyB

On 2/24/2022 at 5:51 PM, JCL said:

Today, bus 2103 along with a demonstrator unit from Nova Bus (Nova LFSe+) were being test driven today.

Video taken on Princess Louise Drive in Orleans. 

Is there a reason for a LFSE+ demonstrator driving around in Ottawa? Like could there be some potential that OC Transpo might get the LFSE+? After all OC Transpo did test the LFSE a few years back, soooo..

23 minutes ago, JackoJacko said:

Is there a reason for a LFSE+ demonstrator driving around in Ottawa? Like could there be some potential that OC Transpo might get the LFSE+? After all OC Transpo did test the LFSE a few years back, soooo..

Although four Xcelsiors have been purchased as part of the electric bus pilot, OC Transpo will need to go through a whole separate procurement process before purchasing additional units in future years (as per the staff report from June 2021: https://app05.ottawa.ca/sirepub/mtgviewer.aspx?meetid=8290&doctype=agenda&itemid=413041).

Very likely, Nova Bus brought the LFSe+ demo unit to Ottawa at OC Transpo's request to compare the performance with the New Flyer Xcelsior in a more extensive manner. 

Until the City completes the procurement, we won't know whether or not OC Transpo will be purchasing LFSe+. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, JackoJacko said:

After all OC Transpo did test the LFSE a few years back, soooo..

14 hours ago, JCL said:

Although four Xcelsiors have been purchased as part of the electric bus pilot, OC Transpo will need to go through a whole separate procurement process before purchasing additional units in future years

If I recall correctly the original LFSe was meant as a short-range solution where you'd charge it up every time you pulled into a station, whereas the newer + model is a long-range model meant to compete directly with the Xcelsior, so that you can drive around for (according to the marketing at least) a few hundred kilometres before it needs to be charged again. So yes, OC tested the LFSe a few years ago but in the interests of following procurement practices it's probably advisable to test the LFSe+ on its own merits.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wowzhao said:

If I recall correctly the original LFSe was meant as a short-range solution where you'd charge it up every time you pulled into a station, whereas the newer + model is a long-range model meant to compete directly with the Xcelsior, so that you can drive around for (according to the marketing at least) a few hundred kilometres before it needs to be charged again. So yes, OC tested the LFSe a few years ago but in the interests of following procurement practices it's probably advisable to test the LFSe+ on its own merits.

Correct and as JCL mentioned it’ll go through a whole process and tender. The next tender will be solely on OC transpo and the city. Future tenders may be through Metrolinx again post 2023 when metrolinx begins their electric bus procurement process. Currently the only reason we did not go through them is because the TPI is only for Diesel, Hybrid or CNG. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JCL said:

Here is a video ride (filmed by someone else) of Bus 2103 last month on Route 16 Main after departing Tunney's Pasture: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DSMa04n8co

Unless the microphone is sensitive, that heater/ventilation is obnoxiously loud. Probably inadvertently the byproduct of being so quiet, but if that's the case, then it ain't going to be fun to make a audio recording of a ride if I can't hear anything other than the ventilation.

8 hours ago, Loud-Invero said:

Unless the microphone is sensitive, that heater/ventilation is obnoxiously loud. Probably inadvertently the byproduct of being so quiet, but if that's the case, then it ain't going to be fun to make a audio recording of a ride if I can't hear anything other than the ventilation.

If I get one tomorrow, it will be warm enough that I will likely have the heaters off tomorrow, for most of the day at least. Supposed to be doing the 16 and 81 so fingers crossed that I get it. Only 2103 is available for service right now.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Enviro_1203 said:

So, I have to say, the bus is EERILY quiet with all of the fans/blowers off!

I agree with you !  Though I’m also impressed with how smooth the take off is.  
Though it’s unfortunate that there’s still some bugs to iron out. 

• Haha 1

Through an e-mail newsletter that I received, The Canadian Institute of Transportation Engineers (CITE) is hosting a free luncheon webinar on the 'Bus Alternative Energy Systems (BAES) Project' (electric bus project). 

It is scheduled to take place on March 22, 2022 between 12pm and 1pm. It is a free event, and anybody can sign-up to attend: https://www.cite7.org/event/ncs-cite-march-luncheon-webinar/?mc_cid=9eede74a69&mc_eid=5100b9f025

Got a chance to ride the new electric... here are my thoughts. 

I find the suspension is really good and can absorb bumps better than Novas. I like at the front of the bus they have vertical yellow pull cords to ring the bell, kind of like the 1997 lfs... the bus is really quiet inside and the NSAS can be heard very loud and clearly unlike the Novas. 

What I don't like. Accessibility standpoint, they expect you to rely on a little tiny check mark on the NSAS to confirm a stop request has been made. You can't hear the bell at all as a passenger despite the bus being quiet. Also a nitpick but it was missing that new bus smell which was ashame but I'm not surprised.

thanks to N. for the great ride and photo opportunity.?

20220313_194338.jpg

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Loud-Invero said:

Got a chance to ride the new electric... here are my thoughts. 

I find the suspension is really good and can absorb bumps better than Novas. I like at the front of the bus they have vertical yellow pull cords to ring the bell, kind of like the 1997 lfs... the bus is really quiet inside and the NSAS can be heard very loud and clearly unlike the Novas. 

What I don't like. Accessibility standpoint, they expect you to rely on a little tiny check mark on the NSAS to confirm a stop request has been made. You can't hear the bell at all as a passenger despite the bus being quiet. Also a nitpick but it was missing that new bus smell which was ashame but I'm not surprised.

thanks to N. for the great ride and photo opportunity.?

20220313_194338.jpg

Unfortunately the new bus smell disappears after a few months, and we have had the buses for testing/training for a few months now.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/10/2022 at 9:06 AM, JCL said:

Through an e-mail newsletter that I received, The Canadian Institute of Transportation Engineers (CITE) is hosting a free luncheon webinar on the 'Bus Alternative Energy Systems (BAES) Project' (electric bus project). 

It is scheduled to take place on March 22, 2022 between 12pm and 1pm. It is a free event, and anybody can sign-up to attend: https://www.cite7.org/event/ncs-cite-march-luncheon-webinar/?mc_cid=9eede74a69&mc_eid=5100b9f025

Here is the video of the free luncheon webinar from last week.

• Thanks 1

While not OC Transpo-related, it is related to electric buses which may be of interest (which is why I'm choosing to post on this thread).

TTC has published their final results of their electric bus pilot, to be discussed at their upcoming Commission Meeting on April 14.

Link to report (102 pages): https://ttc-cdn.azureedge.net/-/media/Project/TTC/DevProto/Documents/Home/Public-Meetings/Board/2022/April-14/Reports/10_TTCs_Green_Bus_Program_Final_Results_of_TTCs_Head_to_Head_eBus_Evalua.pdf?rev=38416aa6e8f3466b9e66ffa46adf2626&hash=D22151C0BD927C565CA1A5866F4E5E4A

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1