TTC Orion VII Retirements

1629 is scrapped. 1628 is there too. Expect some more photos in the coming days.

DISCLAIMER: I had permission from the staff to walk around the yard and take some photos. That doesn't mean you have permission. If you plan on going here, report to the front office first and ask for permission. If they say no, don't go in. Just because there's no fence doesn't mean you're welcome inside.

20190420_151547.jpg

20190112_123505.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, Imgursdownvote4love said:

I suggest you turn off autofocus so you can focus on the buses instead of the fence

I actually just realized that now. It’s hard to take photos because of all the and grass, trash, plants and puddles of water in that area. You have to move the branches out of the way to actually get photos.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Lex Reid said:

1684 is not retired, also the 15-18s without vision after the 29th they will be off the road and decommissioned

20190423_084729.jpg

That’s a good number of buses that will be off the road if you add in the near 50 79xxs that don’t have vision as well

• Like 5

45 minutes ago, bus_7246 said:

That’s a good number of buses that will be off the road if you add in the near 50 79xxs that don’t have vision as well

Those are staying but being used for Streetcar shuttles

Also update on 1684, it's retired and is being sold to Sault Ste Marie 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 7

3 minutes ago, Lex Reid said:

Those are staying but being used for Streetcar shuttles

Also update on 1684, it's retired and is being sold to Ste Sault Marie 

Why would anyone want one of our hybrids? Probably would have been better to buy one of the 79's.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Lex Reid said:

1684 is not retired, also the 15-18s without vision after the 29th they will be off the road and decommissioned

20190423_084729.jpg

6 of those 1800s will be moved to the recently purchased Obico property in the west end for use as driver training units exclusively. Still to be maintained by malvern for the time being.

39 minutes ago, Matthew TTC 4120 said:

Why would anyone want one of our hybrids? Probably would have been better to buy one of the 79's.

Smart.

Sault st. Marie has several NGs in their fleet. They’ll want only it for harvesting body parts. Same deal as when Timmins bought a couple of retired London CNG Orion 6s many years ago. They have no intention of running it.

58 minutes ago, bus_7246 said:

The latest scuttlebutt is that fleet management has reconsidered and has requested clever devices manufacture kits to equip the rest of the 7900s (excluding the roadblock buses possibly)

There will be some lead time before they’d get around to making them, so they could be deployed on streetcar substitutions exclusively, with the same TETRA radios.

as an aside, the vision buses communicate with TETRA technology as well, it’s just got more extra bells and whistles, like tablet screens ‘n shit.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 6

3 hours ago, Bus_Medic said:

6 of those 1800s will be moved to the recently purchased Obico property in the west end for use as driver training units exclusively. Still to be maintained by malvern for the time being.

Smart.

Sault st. Marie has several NGs in their fleet. They’ll want only it for harvesting body parts. Same deal as when Timmins bought a couple of retired London CNG Orion 6s many years ago. They have no intention of running it.

The latest scuttlebutt is that fleet management has reconsidered and has requested clever devices manufacture kits to equip the rest of the 7900s (excluding the roadblock buses possibly)

There will be some lead time before they’d get around to making them, so they could be deployed on streetcar substitutions exclusively, with the same TETRA radios.

as an aside, the vision buses communicate with TETRA technology as well, it’s just got more extra bells and whistles, like tablet screens ‘n shit.

Beat me to it about the training part! haha

39 minutes ago, FabianColeyLOVESBUSES said:

1567 1580 1582 1585 1612 1615 1630 1632 1682 are at the obico yard on north queen street. I guess these will be the buses used for driver training units. I guess these units are retired from regular passenger service?

Some of these units came back into regular service, but never received vision. I guess this would be the final nail on their coffins

• Like 1

On April 24, 2019 at 3:24 PM, TTC 9701 said:

And they are getting them from Toronto? That would be interesting.

It looks like I'll be taking a spin up to Sault Ste. Marie this summer to play against the Steelers so I might take a look around while I'm up there if I've got time.

Edit:  This is assuming the Sault Steelers goes through with fielding a team.  They folded before playoffs last summer because they didn't want to visit GTA All Stars.  If there's no football game, I'm not going.  There is absolutely no way I'm driving all the way to Sault Ste. Marie to look for a bus.  Nope.  Not happening.