TTC Guy

TTC Orion VII Retirements

1 hour ago, PCC Guy said:

That should be the key takeaway here. Who's to say those buses won't come back once the pandemic blows over?

If this lasts long enough, there's probably not going to be a lot of money to go around for buying new stuff. Better to hold on to as many as you can, so that you know where you stand financially.

This^

But also to what another poster said, aviation vs. transit systems is not a totally apt comparison. KLM retired their 747s because they have new and incoming aircraft that do the same job for much cheaper, and while using much less fuel. The 'ronies only accelerated that process. 

While an 8000-series may cost more to operate than a 3100-series, its not 747 vs. A350 "more". And when this blows over, people will still need to get to work, and TTC will still need its old fleet to achieve that, especially with limited funds to pickup new units, as PCC Guy said.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PCC Guy said:

That should be the key takeaway here. Who's to say those buses won't come back once the pandemic blows over?

If this lasts long enough, there's probably not going to be a lot of money to go around for buying new stuff. Better to hold on to as many as you can, so that you know where you stand financially.

Would be interesting to see if they do end up moving forward with the T1 life extension as a result.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PCC Guy said:

Fair, but I was told there was a pretty good chance they wouldn't. But hey, there's always that tiny chance xd

9 hours ago, Bus_Medic said:

Why? That would put an unnecessary burden on an already finite manpower pool.

5 hours ago, AnalogPentium said:

Just something that I was curious about since coronavirus caused retirements at an agency I can't say since that's still internal info at this point. They're not being stripped yet, just sidelined indefinitely despite being in a SOGR and having a valid MTO. Decreased riderships caused this and because the TTC's ridership has obviously decreased, it was just something that popped into my mind.

With that said, I do understand there's only so much manpower the TTC has but at the same time, to my knowledge quite a bit is not being utilized. But yeah, I guess it does make sense for the TTC to stick to whatever plan they have for them for now.

In fact, it makes sense to keep working, licenced buses around under these conditions. If you're dealing with a lot of missing garage staff, it's always good to have a trusty old bus to send out if a newer bus fails. Remember that maintenance and repair capability is likely down across all the garages. The ability to get spares may be impacted as well. Spending time actually decommissioning older buses that are still usable seems like a poor use of scarce resources.

• Like 2

I’d love to speak plainly on the subject, but I’m concerned an NDA would get me into hot water, should HR get ahold of it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Sup my homies! I went by Langilles Scrap Yard and I found TTC 1565. That is the only TTC bus there. There were two GO transit buses next to a school bus in the holding lot. Pictures were taken on Sunday, April 12th, 2020. 

TTC 1565 1.jpg

TTC 1565 2.jpg

TTC 1565 3.jpg

TTC 1565 4.jpg

TTC 1565 5.jpg

TTC 1565 6.jpg

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Doggosareamazing said:

Sup my homies! I went by Langilles Scrap Yard and I found TTC 1565. That is the only TTC bus there. There were two GO transit buses next to a school bus in the holding lot. Pictures were taken on Sunday, April 12th, 2020. 

FFF02B44-0F5C-450D-9B97-D1949A5D8BDE.thumb.jpeg.410a8d73add59073de684efb209ec3ef.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, Bus_Medic said:

FFF02B44-0F5C-450D-9B97-D1949A5D8BDE.thumb.jpeg.410a8d73add59073de684efb209ec3ef.jpeg

DUDE, ENOUGH! I was no where near any people and well beyond the 6ft rule. I did not travel to any foreign countries in the past 14 days so I am not legally required to isolate. Yes, it is highly recommended people stay home but I was wearing a mask and had hand sanitizer. I was out of my car for less than 30 seconds. I had made no contact with any other individuals and limited my time outside. Same rule applies to cyclists and joggers. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Doggosareamazing said:

DUDE, ENOUGH! I was no where near any people and well beyond the 6ft rule. I did not travel to any foreign countries in the past 14 days so I am not legally required to isolate. Yes, it is highly recommended people stay home but I was wearing a mask and had hand sanitizer. I was out of my car for less than 30 seconds. I had made no contact with any other individuals and limited my time outside. 

You’re not cycling or jogging. You’re foaming.

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 1