TTC Guy

TTC Orion VII Retirements

Why? Because I use the tracker to help me track down buses? And then I go out looking for them (and yes I do pay my fare, and I have never trespassed on TTC property, ever!) I don't see how that is "cheating". So quick to criticize people when you don't know why they do things a certain way. You people make me sick...

I use Transee as well to correct the fleet numbers in my weekly sightings and track buses on my local routes especially on Tuesdays (today) and Saturdays for the 85, 116 and 985 and occasionally tracking RaD buses on my local routes, most sightings I get on my way to and from school and Malvern Public Library (a good example is the pic I’ll include below). I see no reason why you have to accuse @Shemar of trespassing or cheating by using a tracker. Trespassing is illegally going into private property then getting caught for it, I know you guys know that, I don’t think Shemar would do that or anyone in that fact or else many of us would be saying this from prison. Cheating, well trackers don’t count as many of us use it and y’all don’t accuse them. My closing statement, this biased shit gotta stop because many of us tired of it.

F95132B1-6422-4645-83C8-6BCF2C51BBA3.jpeg
The “good” example, 1398 on the 131

• Thanks 1

Reporting Transsee and other apps are inaccurate because they are computerized stuff, not human sightings.  There should be a CPTDB rule about posting sightings from Transsee and other apps.  Back in good old days where apps didn't existed (TG!) I use to go outside garage to garage to find retired buses and report them on CPTDB.  Now, technology has taken over and sightings has become a app only and not a visual sightings.  I have been on this discussion since 2003 and things started to change in 2011 ever since when TTC Fishbowls ended.  I'm done.    

• Thanks 2

This thread has degenerated into immature pedantic noise from all sides.

Keep it up....it’s very entertaining.

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

It's been 3 months into the new decade and I'm disappointed of how this site of a whole has become. 

Well I was in the wrong to blame the site and jump straight in conclusions like that, I'd just like to say everyone makes mistakes of course. Everyone here is human. There a saying that says "nobody is perfect." I dont want to go off topic alot as I don't have any more things to say. Let's just stop this argument before things can worse from here and move on with our day.

• Confused 1

Careful what you wish for. This thread needs to be returned to a civil and normal manner before it gets locked.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, GTAtransitfan1-Toronto said:

Exactly, like who cares who uses Transee or use their eyes. 

I remember back when, that was your only option. Ever since apps were introduced, children have been reporting "Sightings" from them. It's a shame that people don't realize that apps just aren't the best way to report Sightings! Using your own two eyes given from birth is. Children also, get out into the world to report Sightings, your phones ain't gonna give you everything! 

10 hours ago, Express Network said:

Careful what you wish for. This thread needs to be returned to a civil and normal manner before it gets locked.

IMG_2973.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Or, you could just report whether you got your information from transsee, or an IRL sighting. @Shemar, I understand that you've made many right retirement calls, but to say that we, as civilized people who just have a slight doubt, make you sick? Tone it down a bit. Like by 4,000,000. or more. 

Not trying to escalate this further, just know that just because a bus is at Markham rd., doesn't mean its 100% retired.

On 3/3/2020 at 10:45 AM, GTAtransitfan1-Toronto said:

Exactly, like who cares who uses Transee or use their eyes. 

I mean, we all do?

51 minutes ago, Bus_Medic said:

Two hybrids slated for scrap have been re activated, and are being MTO inspected as I type this. Immediately following that, they are to have all seats permanently stripped out, and will be pressed into medical transport service.

Do you know which vehicles?

53 minutes ago, Bus_Medic said:

Two hybrids slated for scrap have been re activated, and are being MTO inspected as I type this. Immediately following that, they are to have all seats permanently stripped out, and will be pressed into medical transport service.

Thank you for posting something useful. Others in this thread should take note.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

18 minutes ago, TTC Guy said:

Do you know which vehicles?

1500 and 1650, I think. I didn’t consider that important at the time.

• Like 11

Not sure if this is 100% confirmed, but it's been said that #8362 is currently retired and is being used as a parts bus. It's been sitting at Hillcrest for now a long time. If this is 100% officially confirmed, it will be the very first Orion VII 3G EPA10 to be discommissioned. 

• Confused 1

25 minutes ago, The Queensway said:

Not sure if this is 100% confirmed, but it's been said that #8362 is currently retired and is being used as a parts bus. It's been sitting at Hillcrest for now a long time. If this is 100% officially confirmed, it will be the very first Orion VII 3G EPA10 to be discommissioned. 

So, who are your sources on this?

24 minutes ago, splendidwizardplayer said:

So, who are your sources on this?

Probably involved in something that was deemed retired.

2 minutes ago, TTC 9701 said:

The bus had a engine fire incident back in June 2019, it has been at Hillcrest ever since. I've been told on Instagram that it is retired, however by the looks of it, it is not officially confirmed yet. So we will just have to wait for somebody else to officially confirm.

The back rear has sustained severe damage, and the engine was removed. It's unlikely it will ever be in service again.

3 hours ago, Doppelkupplung said:

Idk if this will mean anything about who was first and who wasn't. I'd say that's been canned for a while.  

https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?fa=Main.Item&itemid=1223&acctid=865

9 years!! 

Suffolk County Transit in NY state has retired a couple of their 2010 diesels already and they appeared online for auction a while back.

USA they usually replace buses based on mileage and funding from subsidies.  So a perfectly fine bus could be retired just because they have the money to buy a new bus.

3 hours ago, TTC 9701 said:

That didn't answer his question.   If you don't know the answer please don't reply just for the sake of bumping up your post count.

3 hours ago, The Queensway said:

The back rear has sustained severe damage, and the engine was removed. It's unlikely it will ever be in service again.

8197, 8198 were stored for a very long time at Arrow prior to refurbishment.  Both those buses had their engines and various other parts removed while being stored.

Untill we hear otherwise 8362 should be still "active"

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

On 4/2/2020 at 9:09 PM, The Queensway said:

As of this week 8362 is still being repaired. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, AnalogPentium said:

Are there gonna be any potential plans to fast track the retirement of the diesels as a result of COVID 19?

Why? That would put an unnecessary burden on an already finite manpower pool.

• Like 8

8 hours ago, AnalogPentium said:

Are there gonna be any potential plans to fast track the retirement of the diesels as a result of COVID 19?

2 hours ago, Bus_Medic said:

And an unnecessary burden on the TTC's finaciall situation. You certainly do have a point, and I would like to expand, saying that if the TTC were to retire the diesels, the TTC would have to spend money to strip them, and make plans for them to be sold to scrap, instead of focusing on the most "contact-free" ridership, and how to protect their employees. I don't know if this is true, but there may even be mechs not coming into work, or older TTC staff retiring early, as to not catch the illness. However, with decreased ridership in general (obviously caused by coronavirus), it is possible that the TTC may do something along the lines of the what the airline industry is doing, and possibly store or hold a certain amount of buses, but not retire them, as I expect (with my unprofessional opinion) there to be an influx of ridership after the pandemic slows down, as people may be not financially able to drive to work, (if they are still employed) may be opting to bus their commute. But then again, some airlines, such as AirTransat with their A310s, or Qantas' and KLM's 747s experiencing premature retirements due to financial hardships on they airline. I would expect older buses to stay around for longer now, as the TTC and the powers funding the TTC may not have the money to replace them, after financially suffering from the virus. The government (even with the leadership we have now) will rightly prioritize building the economy back up, or helping affected individuals or small-businesses restart their lives. A couple old buses traversing Toronto is not nearly as important as the well-being of the economy and the people that live here (definitely not in that order).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bus_Medic said:

Just something that I was curious about since coronavirus caused retirements at an agency I can't say since that's still internal info at this point. They're not being stripped yet, just sidelined indefinitely despite being in a SOGR and having a valid MTO. Decreased riderships caused this and because the TTC's ridership has obviously decreased, it was just something that popped into my mind.

With that said, I do understand there's only so much manpower the TTC has but at the same time, to my knowledge quite a bit is not being utilized. But yeah, I guess it does make sense for the TTC to stick to whatever plan they have for them for now.

12 minutes ago, AnalogPentium said:

They're not being stripped yet, just sidelined indefinitely despite being in a SOGR and having a valid MTO.

That should be the key takeaway here. Who's to say those buses won't come back once the pandemic blows over?

If this lasts long enough, there's probably not going to be a lot of money to go around for buying new stuff. Better to hold on to as many as you can, so that you know where you stand financially.

• Like 9