TTC Guy

TTC Orion VII Retirements

12 minutes ago, Shemar said:

#1759, #1813 are units to look out for.

I have seen 1813 at Hillcrest like 3 times since September, and it was intact when I saw it all the times. I haven’t seen it recently, and I think it may have been one of the stripped hybrids I saw today. 1759 I was told is at Malvern.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Matthew TTC 4120 said:

There was a row of Orions in the old paint at Hillcrest, with a stripped hybrid at the front. There may have been a few Diesel OG and a couple more hybrids as well. I am not sure what any of their numbers are, and if those other units behind the stripped hybrid are stripped as well.

When you say "striped hybrids", you mean NGs, right?

There are a bunch of ex-TTC NG hybrids at the Pearson Airport Fire Training Centre, unsure of the units but there's about 3. The OG's that were there around 1 year ago, 7599 and 7565 weren't seen.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/5/2019 at 1:30 PM, FabianColeyLOVESBUSES said:

1609 1772 and 1782 are now retired and stripped at Malvern division.

We did some decommissioning work on 1609 today and also 1782 should be gone now.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 7749 said:

There are a bunch of ex-TTC NG hybrids at the Pearson Airport Fire Training Centre, unsure of the units but there's about 3. The OG's that were there around 1 year ago, 7599 and 7565 weren't seen.

And A New Flyer XE40 and a PROTERRA BE40

01FB63E1-0568-4D8F-ADE0-9083831482DD.png

7 hours ago, Doggosareamazing said:

Numbers stripped?

Yep, took them off myself.1609 is now parked up at 1810 so it should be getting towed to scrap very soon. 1782 is off property now I’m pretty sure, I last spotted it fully decommissioned at 1810 on Friday, it was probably towed away by now.

Photos can be found on my Instagram page.

On 9/20/2019 at 6:40 PM, FabianColeyLOVESBUSES said:

1760 and 1817 are  now retired and stripped at Malvern division. I am not too sure what's going on with 1337 but it is partially stripped at Malvern division and the license plates are also removed. 

1337 isn’t retired, has a front logo now and has been going into service for the past couple of days.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Transit_Hub said:

1337 isn’t retired, has a front logo now and has been going into service for the past couple of days.

It’s on the 995 right now.

2788A8FE-2D34-4105-86A1-38B2BB5A4525.jpeg

• Like 6

Can confirm that 1759 is being decommissioned right now and 1804 is next for decommissioning. 

2 hours ago, TTC7447 said:

It’s on the 995 right now.

2788A8FE-2D34-4105-86A1-38B2BB5A4525.jpeg

Here’s a photo I took before it got the logo on it. :)

498FBDCD-10C1-45A2-948E-5A9F2653A963.jpeg

• Like 6

Would anyone happen to know if #1813 has been retired yet or not? I think that unit was last seen at Hillcrest.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Transit_Hub said:

Yep, took them off myself.1609 is now parked up at 1810 so it should be getting towed to scrap very soon. 1782 is off property now I’m pretty sure, I last spotted it fully decommissioned at 1810 on Friday, it was probably towed away by now.

Photos can be found on my Instagram page.

One I get me car back from being fixed up (I hate winters), I'll keep an eye out for these units. So do you use a Milwaukee drill and sand the numbers off or do you use a sharp razor blade to scratch them off like a lottery ticket? 

39 minutes ago, Doggosareamazing said:

One I get me car back from being fixed up (I hate winters), I'll keep an eye out for these units. So do you use a Milwaukee drill and sand the numbers off or do you use a sharp razor blade to scratch them off like a lottery ticket? 

Yeah razor blade scraper and a heat gun.

1759 is getting its traction motor out now and 1804 is now starting the stripping process.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

10 minutes ago, Transit_Hub said:

Yeah razor blade scraper and a heat gun.

1759 is getting its traction motor out now and 1804 is now starting the stripping process.

Out of curiosity, what is the point of removing the fleet numbers on the front and side, but leaving them on the back? Especially when half of the time someone later chalks the former identity on the bus on the front windshield.

5 minutes ago, PCC Guy said:

Out of curiosity, what is the point of removing the fleet numbers on the front and side, but leaving them on the back? Especially when half of the time someone later chalks the former identity on the bus on the front windshield.

The decals with references to the TTC and fleet numbers have to be removed, just what the TTC wants. The rear fleet number is always left so the tow truck driver can identify the bus. The chalk on the front windshield is mainly an optional thing, it’s not needed.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

5 hours ago, Transit_Hub said:

Can confirm that 1759 is being decommissioned right now and 1804 is next for decommissioning. 

Here’s a photo I took before it got the logo on it. :)

498FBDCD-10C1-45A2-948E-5A9F2653A963.jpeg

What's with the weird paint job on the front (the black part below the windshield being farther down)?

1687 was also like this and had a TTC logo.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OC Transpo/STO Fan said:

What's with the weird paint job on the front (the black part below the windshield being farther down)?

1687 was also like this and had a TTC logo.

1337’s front cowl was erroneously “harvested” several weeks ago. I’m assuming one of the other shift foremen assumed it was retired without actually checking the actual status in the computer system, as it sat idle in the 1810 Markham road compound.

I was tasked with sourcing a suitable replacement, so I took it off 1795 a week ago.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Bus_Medic said:

1337’s front cowl was erroneously “harvested” several weeks ago. I’m assuming one of the other shift foremen assumed it was retired without actually checking the actual status in the computer system, as it sat idle in the 1810 Markham road compound.

I was tasked with sourcing a suitable replacement, so I took it off 1795 a week ago.

How heavy are the caps?

5 hours ago, Transit_Hub said:

The decals with references to the TTC and fleet numbers have to be removed, just what the TTC wants. The rear fleet number is always left so the tow truck driver can identify the bus. The chalk on the front windshield is mainly an optional thing, it’s not needed.

If I can add to that, it’s probably because of brand image. For example, when an Emirates Boeing 777-200ER A6-EMF retired, they stripped the Emirates logo for the reason of not wanting the average public to know where it’s heading to (ie the scrapyard in the really hot Mojave desert). I think it is a similar case with TTC.