TTC Orion VII Retirements

41 minutes ago, Tom1122 said:

Which buses were involved? IIRC ES-4 was one of them.

I believe ES-1 is the other.

Does anyone know if any of the buses will be brought out for the end of the parade at Nathan Phillips Square on Monday? I'd rather like to grab a shot or two before their colleagues follow them down the same road :P

Back to the main topic, 1585, 1667 & 1759 are parked in the south lane by the old International shop. Meanwhile, 1636 is parked with 1825, 1808 and 1787 to the north

1585, 1667, 1758 & 1636 are all still intact 

• Like 2

69E639BB-876A-41FB-89C4-3F90D01A9EE5.thumb.jpeg.9072077fb8e9f9ea1850750d3a51e939.jpeg085087FB-41C1-46B6-9F4F-5967DD2B6DFD.thumb.jpeg.b1ea32a96f9986a1e40e76ba263d1e08.jpeg

Two retired hybrids and an og. The hybrids appear to be 1514 and 1619. I have no clue what the og is. I can only guess that it’s one of the birchmount units that’s still on property. I am not sure if 7931 was put back into service or not but it could be this one as well. Might also be 7936.

Edit: I don’t know where else to put this but 7575 was driven around birchmount recently, I think on Friday.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, Novabusfan_2004 said:

EFAE9275-2BE1-4D38-9FD4-0FAE1B374FDC.jpeg

But seriously what is ttc planning to do with 7575. Also why would they preserve it, it’s not special like 2252

When something becomes niche, it becomes special. A preserved New Look in the early nineties would be not so special but since there aren't as much trundling down the road, it became special. Give a bus some time and it shall become special in their own way. Anyways, back on topic, will possibly be checking Langilles for new loads for the heap. 

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, Novabusfan_2004 said:

But seriously what is ttc planning to do with 7575. Also why would they preserve it, it’s not special like 2252

A Brill T48A wasn't special in the 60's. A Classic wasn't special in the 90's. Your Novas aren't special now, but they will be in a couple decades. Better to preserve them when you still have them instead of regretting not preserving one.

• Thanks 5

8 hours ago, Novabusfan_2004 said:

This is exactly the problem with transit preservation in this city. The point of preserving vehicles of the past is not to save only that which is special, but to tell the history of our transit, and that should also include the more mundane - after all, not everything is going to have the longevity of a PCC or a New Look. And the Orion VII was a massive part of our transit history over the last 15 years.

For what it's worth, every European city with a large historical collection that puts ours to shame saves a diverse range of vehicles, even the ones that haven't become icons of their respective cities over the last however many years. No need to wait until something reaches the longevity of the GMs to decide it's worthy of being shared with our children and grandchildren. Sure, sometimes financial concerns mean that you won't be able to save everything, and I understand that - but if you have the means to do so, not saving something just because it's not as special as an iconic vehicle class that was in service for 50 years is a disservice to future generations.

• Thanks 3

15 hours ago, PCC Guy said:

This is exactly the problem with transit preservation in this city. The point of preserving vehicles of the past is not to save only that which is special, but to tell the history of our transit, and that should also include the more mundane - after all, not everything is going to have the longevity of a PCC or a New Look. And the Orion VII was a massive part of our transit history over the last 15 years.

For what it's worth, every European city with a large historical collection that puts ours to shame saves a diverse range of vehicles, even the ones that haven't become icons of their respective cities over the last however many years. No need to wait until something reaches the longevity of the GMs to decide it's worthy of being shared with our children and grandchildren. Sure, sometimes financial concerns mean that you won't be able to save everything, and I understand that - but if you have the means to do so, not saving something just because it's not as special as an iconic vehicle class that was in service for 50 years is a disservice to future generations.

I'd also like to add that the TTC board members could have a physical reference of seeing previous buses bought so they can look out for things they need or don't need. Basically if per se 2252, 7575, (a 62xx bus if they ever find one and decide to second chance it), etc... were on display, it can help decipher in what to look for when procuring new vehicles. 

1787, 1808 and 1687 are stripped at markham rd. 1761 and 1615 are parked beside them. 1667 continues to sit on the other side. 1636 is parked close behind, however there is a beeping that comes from the unit. I think it is the trump unit thats making the beeping. There is also a panel above the driver's seat that has been opended, but nothing has been stripped yet.

1615 1761 1667 and 1636 are intact.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Matthew TTC 4120 said:

1787, 1808 and 1687 are stripped at markham rd. 1761 and 1615 are parked beside them. 1667 continues to sit on the other side. 1636 is parked close behind, however there is a beeping that comes from the unit. I think it is the trump unit thats making the beeping. There is also a panel above the driver's seat that has been opended, but nothing has been stripped yet.

The beeping comes from the fire suppression unit on the vehicle. It is either related to the fire suppression system, or it indicates that the battery charge is low. This is the case on the VIIs. I’m not sure of the LFSes

• Thanks 3

43 minutes ago, bus_7246 said:

The beeping comes from the fire suppression unit on the vehicle. It is either related to the fire suppression system, or it indicates that the battery charge is low. This is the case on the VIIs. I’m not sure of the LFSes

Same deal. The kidde module will chirp when it senses the battery voltage drop below a predetermined threshold.

22 hours ago, Matthew TTC 4120 said:

1768 was added and hitched up behind 1808 last night, still intact

• Thanks 2

I'm going to suggest that when we are reporting retirements that we also include in our posts how units are retired (decommissioned or stripped for example) because there are many reasons as to why buses get pulled from service, not always meaning that they are retired.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Jonathan1007 said:

7906 is somewhere far

GPS glitches happen commonly. Don't read too closely into it.

And glitches like this is why I will never trust movements or retirements based solely on where a vehicle is tracking. Need to do it old-school (have an actual set of eyes see it).

• Like 4

jason (basket on this website) gave me a tour at Hillcrest and showed me off the event support buses. 1 of them had the windows put back up but no mirrors or steering wheel and the other was completely the same and still had graffiti all over it but it was missing the back and Jason told me it is going to be scrapped so that means 1 is being repaired and other is being scrapped he also told me that cptdb is --gay-- and that everyone there is a foamer so luckily that time I was not a member so I said no when he asked me do u have cptdb but he is a nice guy he said I can come over and bring my friends today for a mount Dennis tour

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

I’ve got half a mind to get ahold of the manager over there, and inform him of the extra curricular activities going on.

The legal department will go apoplectic when they find out the liability he’s exposing the commission to should anyone get hurt.

• Thanks 5