TTC Orion VII Retirements

30 minutes ago, Doggosareamazing said:

Buses at the scrapyard

Orion VII S50EGR/ NG - 7808 and a 152x bus.

I spotted 7808 on a tow yesterday evening at about 8pm northbound on Kennedy at Ellesmere. The tow ended up going east on the 401.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Matthew TTC 4120 said:

I did not see 7575 at Hillcrest outside. If it is there, it must be inside.

She is definitely not at Langilles. Most likely in the shop. Maybe it’s MTO related. 7575 might be mechanically sound to drive, but not legal rn.

I’ll keep my eyes peeled for the two ES buses.

• Like 4

On Monday, July 29, 2019 at 12:27 AM, Doggosareamazing said:

She is definitely not at Langilles. Most likely in the shop. Maybe it’s MTO related. 7575 might be mechanically sound to drive, but not legal rn.

I’ll keep my eyes peeled for the two ES buses.

A source has Informed me that Its currently Inside Harvey. They don't know why Its there.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Doggosareamazing said:

I’m thinking MTO or storage reasons since Birchmount Garage might need extra space.

Neither Harvey shop nor Duncan are registered motor vehicle inspection stations (only the divisions are) so it wouldn’t be for MTO purposes, at least not directly.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bus_Medic said:

Neither Harvey shop nor Duncan are registered motor vehicle inspection stations (only the divisions are) so it wouldn’t be for MTO purposes, at least not directly.

Oh, I thought it would be done there or the buses are driven to some old quaint town with an MTO facility. 

1 hour ago, TTC T6H-5307N 2252 said:

I wonder if it’s possible to buy one of the RTS buses from Langille’s and restore it?

You could get a Cargobob from GTA V and lift it out to Sandy Shores airfield. 

On a serious note, while the stance of Langilles is the vehicles there are to be shredded, it really depends on whoever is in charge of it if they want to sell it to you. I mean, if you’re Jeff Bezos, they’ll sell you all of their stuff. Also government red tape MTO stuff as well. I guess Langilles is trying to avoid a "Mark 1 Plumbing" situation. 

16 hours ago, Doggosareamazing said:

On a serious note, while the stance of Langilles is the vehicles there are to be shredded, it really depends on whoever is in charge of it if they want to sell it to you. I mean, if you’re Jeff Bezos, they’ll sell you all of their stuff. Also government red tape MTO stuff as well. I guess Langilles is trying to avoid a "Mark 1 Plumbing" situation. 

In the interest of public (and frankly their own) safety, fanboys have no business “restoring” a 13 ton vehicle. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

50 minutes ago, Bus_Medic said:

In the interest of public (and frankly their own) safety, fanboys have no business “restoring” a 13 ton vehicle. 

I tend to agree especially if they have no knowledge on themselves on how to repair vehicles. I ain’t gonna trust a tanning salon to fix an Allison transmission. Plus I’d imagine most OEM if not all for the RTS are discontinued anyways.

Broken down into its consituent subsystems, most of the consumable parts for the axles and brakes, suspension can still be sourced without too much fuss if one is resourceful. Those same parts pop up regularly in other vehicles, and weren’t pedigree to any specific model. 

problems will arise when you need pedigree parts like windshields or interior fittings, and I’m not sure NATSCO supports the early version of Dinex multiplexing ours used. Hell, the Toronto fishbowl owners I’m in contact with have an easier time... there’s still more than a handful of 1970’s ex OC units that can be parted from in North eastern Ontario. 

The same certainly can’t be said of the TTC’s oddball mini fleets of the late 1990’s

39 minutes ago, Doggosareamazing said:

I tend to agree especially if they have no knowledge on themselves on how to repair vehicles. I ain’t gonna trust a tanning salon to fix an Allison transmission. Plus I’d imagine most OEM if not all for the RTS are discontinued anyways.

The parts that make it stop and steer are far, far more crucial than the ones that make it move. A smoked transmission doesn’t maim and kill bystanders.

here’s just a taste...

18 hours ago, Doggosareamazing said:

That'd be a great way for an employee to buy a one way ticket into the office to get fired.  The problem there is that when proof of destruction is specified in the contract, nobody can have a bus escape into the wild because a TTC bus is a totally traceable thing.  Even minus logos and fleet numbers, it'll still have a VIN.  We have the same thing with surplus equipment at work and believe me, lots of people including myself have had the "can't you just write this off if it's being junked anyways" conversation and been shot down.

1 hour ago, Bus_Medic said:

Oh boy.  This is definitely a practical example of the road to hell being paved with good intentions.  I can tell some stories about PCC cars getting screwed up in the states by people who don't reason things through before they mess with the equipment.

2 hours ago, Bus_Medic said:

For the windshield, I'd imagine PPG/PGW, Asahi, Pilkington, LOF could remake one since getting a windshield out of another bus might be difficult. I failed extracting windshields out of a Corolla with a cold knife. (Damn thing cracks if you put too much pressure on the glass) 

Now, back on topic, I will make a pit stop next week to Langilles to see if more diebrids. come by from TTC or any other transit agencies.

• Like 2