Orion VI

Grand Cayman RTSs (George Town)

Hello all,

A couple of years ago, (2013) I was on a Disney cruise that stopped at the Grand Cayman Islands, more specifically the George Town region, and was transported by bus to the turtle farm, post-disembarking the boat. The bus was an RTS, white and unlettered. At the dock, there was a couple more RTSs, some yellow and some black. Anybody know of these buses? Are they on the wiki?

Thanks, 

VI

22 hours ago, Orion VI said:

Hello all,

A couple of years ago, (2013) I was on a Disney cruise that stopped at the Grand Cayman Islands, more specifically the George Town region, and was transported by bus to the turtle farm, post-disembarking the boat. The bus was an RTS, white and unlettered. At the dock, there was a couple more RTSs, some yellow and some black. Anybody know of these buses? Are they on the wiki?

Thanks, 

VI

2013 was over 5 years ago lol. As for the RTS's, they might have been retired transit buses from the mainland.

I went to the Cayman Islands last year and I saw two of the RTSes on the streets. One was used by Platinum Tours and another being used as the Camana Bay shuttle bus. Both buses have the rear doors moved from the right side to the left side of the bus (behind the driver). This is due to traffic driving on the left.

3 hours ago, Chris H said:

I went to the Cayman Islands last year and I saw two of the RTSes on the streets. One was used by Platinum Tours and another being used as the Camana Bay shuttle bus. Both buses have the rear doors moved from the right side to the left side of the bus (behind the driver). This is due to traffic driving on the left.

I found a picture of the Platinum Tours one:Image result for Platinum Tours rts

Can't find the other one. Still looking.

• Like 2

Just a guess... that looks like an ex-Long Beach Transit unit.

Clues:

• It sports the first-generation wide front door design. LBT was one of a handful of systems to order that model (CTA and SMART are the only others I can think of...) TMC launched the wide front door option circa 1989-1990; it was revised in 1993 and again by Novabus around 1996.
  • Hard to tell, but it appears to be 96" wide rather than 102". Until the early/mid 90s, that's how LBT spec'ed their buses.
  • The rear end "pork chop window" and distinctive AC fin are strongly reminiscent of cruising 1st Street Transit Mall in a pre-New Flyer Long Beach. Many RTSes in California had those types of AC vents on the side; not sure if it had something to do with a stronger AC plant and/or Cali-specific emissions controls.

Gotta admit, the left-side door retrofit doesn't even look that bad. Testament to the brilliant modular design of the RTS. Wow, they weren't perfect, but I sure do miss those babies...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Border City Transit said:

Clues:

• It sports the first-generation wide front door design. LBT was one of a handful of systems to order that model (CTA and SMART are the only others I can think of...) TMC launched the wide front door option circa 1989-1990; it was revised in 1993 and again by Novabus around 1996.
  • Hard to tell, but it appears to be 96" wide rather than 102". Until the early/mid 90s, that's how LBT spec'ed their buses.
  • The rear end "pork chop window" and distinctive AC fin are strongly reminiscent of cruising 1st Street Transit Mall in a pre-New Flyer Long Beach. Many RTSes in California had those types of AC vents on the side; not sure if it had something to do with a stronger AC plant and/or Cali-specific emissions controls.

Gotta admit, the left-side door retrofit doesn't even look that bad. Testament to the brilliant modular design of the RTS. Wow, they weren't perfect, but I sure do miss those babies...

Was this a DD50 series?

8 hours ago, Border City Transit said:

Clues:

Looking at the wiki, TMC RTS-06 Long Beach 8917 was sold to private owner. Possibly that one. Wouldn't explain the others, though.

I recorded the Platinum Tours RTS as it was turning on to a street in Georgetown and it has the Detroit Diesel Series 92 engine.

14 hours ago, Chris H said:

I recorded the Platinum Tours RTS as it was turning on to a street in Georgetown and it has the Detroit Diesel Series 92 engine.

It also has CTA lights