Port Authority of Allegheny County [PAAC] -- Pittsburgh, PA

Pitt Aviation & Rail

On 1/13/2019 at 5:09 PM, Pitt Aviation & Rail said:

Just made this thread for Port Authority news.

So what is everyone's thoughts on the plastic seating they're trying out?

IMG-0584.jpgIMG-0578.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_Authority_of_Allegheny_County

Some of The 2005-06  Neoplan USA AN460A Transliner Articulated Buses are RETIRED 

On 1/16/2019 at 10:24 PM, The Neoplan Rider Studios said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_Authority_of_Allegheny_County

Some of The 2005-06  Neoplan USA AN460A Transliner Articulated Buses are RETIRED 

I believe that only two are left. I might submit a request to them to see which ones are still in service.

Also, I think that all 64xx are delivered now, but again, I don't have confirmation.

• 3 weeks later...

PAT would continue ordering buses in that specification until 1995 when they ordered buses with both seating sides facing front except when on wheel wells. The side destination signs were moved immediately to the left of the front door starting with the 1998 Neoplan AN-460 (articulated bus) order. This continued with the Neoplan Metroliner order but skipped the Neoplan AN-440LF order in 1999.

PAT-5010a.jpeg

normal_DSC04755-1.jpg

mqdefault.jpg

images.jpeg

Neoplan USA is now back in business. 

DSCF0104.jpg

Port Authority Neoplan Metroliner 1910.JPG

mid_pat_3909_on_West_Ohio_Street.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

According to Wikipedia:

Pittsburgh

The Port Authority of Pittsburgh bought 159 low floor buses from Neoplan that were put into service in 1999, costing $47.7 million, or up to $300,000 apiece. Cracks in the frame were found shortly afterwards, and the buses were pulled out of service. Neoplan agreed to pay for repair for buses under warranties, and compensated the Port Authority for additional costs associated with the defects on the buses.[18][19]

It was reported that these same bus models underwent testing by the Federal Transit Administration in 1994 and 1995, and problems were detected in these tests. One test in May 1994 found a bus breaking down after driven 94 miles, and structural cracks happened after 482 miles. In 1995 cracks were found in 10 different places in the steel frame, air cooler outlet and axle mounts. [20]

19830624_10_PAT_3564_Pittsburgh,_PA_(3535970855).jpg