Vancouver Island

Allandale25

I didn't see a thread for a discussion for commuter, VIA and freight railway activity and proposals for Vancouver Island so I thought I'd start one. Admin/Mods: please let me know if there's already a thread for this.

I saw this update from the Island Corridor Foundation and this recent media article.

"Hi Everyone,

During our town hall meetings in November we talked a lot about upcoming meetings with the Province in regards to the future of rail on the island.  A meeting was held on December 10, 2018 in Victoria which brought together First Nations, island mayors, representatives from Regional Districts, the Island Corridor Foundation, and Provincial officials including  the Minister of Transportation and Infrastructure, Claire Trevena,  and Premier John Horgan.

This was a round table discussion wherein participants were asked for their thoughts on the future of rail on the island and how to move forward. Overwhelmingly participants agreed that the rail must be part of any comprehensive transportation plan going forward, it must include the entire island, and that the unique requirements of each region needed to be addressed within the plan. Participants asked the Province to commit to the development and implementation of such a plan and to do so without delay.  

We have talked with Minister Trevena since the meeting and she advises that she, and the Premier, clearly heard the views of the participants.  The Province is committed to moving forward and as a first step will work with the Island Corridor Foundation to do an  assessment of track and bridge conditions on the entire corridor.  It was agreed this process needs to start immediately so we will be meeting early in January to develop a plan to complete the assessment.

Although this is only the first step, in what promises to be a multi-step process, we view this as a significant step forward. We are very pleased the Province is moving forward and look forward to working with them to bring rail back to the island!

Larry Stevenson
Chief Executive Officer
Island Corridor Foundation"

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

If there are no or few freight movements over the SRVI between Victoria West and Langford, it might have been somewhere the Ottawa Talents could have landed (assuming the third one was repaired and the other two weren't wrecked from Ottawa winters).

It could also be somewhere that some UPX cars could suit if/when no longer required in Toronto (as long as high platforms available) given their commuter door placement. I think the biggest issue with a "commuter" service is how far a Victoria West terminus would be from the downtown east of the Johnson Street Bridge.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

I gotta say, this is welcome news right in time for my birthday... The track assessment for the reinstatement of services on the island corridor is apparently done and the ICF is once again making quiet grumbling noises pretending they'll actually accomplish something. Here's to hoping that their actions will one day yield results. The Parksville Qualicum Beach News kind of hit the nail on the head with a great editorial that sounds more like an Onion or Beaverton headline than anything. In other news, I'm really happy to see some volunteers have fixed up the old Ladysmith Station (at least in appearance). Last time I was up there it was in a sorry state.

4RF1cJW.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just curious, who is funding these repairs? I was under the impression that the biggest hurdle for the ICF was the lack of appropriate funding to revitalize the corridor. While this is obviously not the entire route, this looks like some seriously expensive work... especially for areas beyond Nanaimo where freight services aren't even used any more. Super glad to see it happening, I just want to know more of the story behind the construction! 

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Allandale25 said:

In the local paper re Vancouver Island passenger service 

much-delayed Vancouver fast ferry

While I am a huge supporter of rail being brought back for both commuters, and tourists, where on earth did the topic of Fast Ferries ever come up? Yes, Fast Ferries are a serious topic of discussion that isn't brought up enough any more, but can we please leave that entirely separate from the E&N Corridor? They are entirely unrelated. Not that the Nanaimo Bulletin is some bastion of high-stakes journalism, but that's a pretty low-quality letter to feature.

On 10/30/2019 at 10:04 PM, InfiNorth said:

"Analysis Paralysis" is a new term that I'm happy to use whenever talking about anything to do with passenger rail in Canada.

Absolutely!  In most cases, doing more "studies" is just a way to say something's happening when in reality it's just putting off real action.  The other phrase that applies is "NIMTOO" (not in my term of office...).

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

There's something coming towards Victoria, even if it's just a showpiece for the company redeveloping the roundhouse lands in Victoria: An SW8 Switcher was spotted in New Brunswick. It bears the markings of Bayview Place, which previously even had a boxcar in mock-CP livery inexplicably up an embankment. If anyone knows of when this will be arriving in Victoria (and how), I would love to know. It's being transported by CN, which means it's probably paralyzed somewhere in central Canada right now with the shutdown. Another post shows it passing through Belleville, ON, meaning it made it past the nightmare that is the blocked tracks out east. If this thing is actually going to be rolling into Victoria on its own wheels, I absolutely need to know when so I can get footage and photos of something more than a work truck running on E&N trackage.

Quoted from the Facebook post by Rob Scrimgeour:

This had been stored inside at American Railcar Services in Moncton.

The site was previously Industrial Railway Services Inc., and the SW8 was IRSI 1001.

Before that is was Royal Polymers 8620, Lambton Diesel 8620, CR 8620, PC 8620, NYC 8620, and originally NYC 9620.

I'm more excited than I should be for what is more likely than not just a bricked showpiece.

22 hours ago, InfiNorth said:

There's something coming towards Victoria, even if it's just a showpiece for the company redeveloping the roundhouse lands in Victoria: An SW8 Switcher was spotted in New Brunswick. It bears the markings of Bayview Place, which previously even had a boxcar in mock-CP livery inexplicably up an embankment. If anyone knows of when this will be arriving in Victoria (and how), I would love to know. It's being transported by CN, which means it's probably paralyzed somewhere in central Canada right now with the shutdown. Another post shows it passing through Belleville, ON, meaning it made it past the nightmare that is the blocked tracks out east. If this thing is actually going to be rolling into Victoria on its own wheels, I absolutely need to know when so I can get footage and photos of something more than a work truck running on E&N trackage.

Quoted from the Facebook post by Rob Scrimgeour:

I'm more excited than I should be for what is more likely than not just a bricked showpiece.

According to a Facebook group that I am a member of, that unit is stuck in Winnipeg for the time being.

• Thanks 1

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
8 hours ago, TheAverageJoe said:

sitting in the yard in Nanaimo 

Gotta ask... where'd you get that info? If we weren't supposed to stay in our own town I'd pop up for some photographs. Will it be brought down on the rails or will be put on a flat-bed? The things I would do to get my hands on the schedule of that train if it actually were coming down under its own power...