2001 Orion V Retirement

dover5949

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

9260, 9262 retired. Compass equipment gone, and license plates removed, along with a window missing of 9260.

9205 also on the same track. Still has its Compass equipment installed, however there are seats and all that thrown in the back. Hasn't seen service since October 4th. Did not complete it's block.

Another note, 9201 was parked in the far SW corner of the yard. Likely a B/O, but I thought I could mention it.

• 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Busmanic92 said:

I would assume translink now puts buses through 12+ years service so they don't go through a midlife refurbishment. 

And i heard 2012+ units are 12+ years service life. These are 2008's so I'd expect a few years more after the 2006's go....

That's a giant increase in costs for them. A midlife refurbishment extends the lifespan of buses by enough years to make it generally worth it. Considering the LFRs aren't scheduled to go for another couple years even now, I doubt they would stop refurbing.

I haven't heard anything on this from my internal contacts, albeit, I am a little out of the loop right now.

23 hours ago, buizelbus said:

That's a giant increase in costs for them. A midlife refurbishment extends the lifespan of buses by enough years to make it generally worth it. Considering the LFRs aren't scheduled to go for another couple years even now, I doubt they would stop refurbing.

I haven't heard anything on this from my internal contacts, albeit, I am a little out of the loop right now.

It would be public knowledge for accounting reasons. Changing from a 17-year to 11-year projected lifespan changes the lifecycle cost of each bus (a capital asset) in a way that has to be budgeted for: amortization/depreciation, ongoing maintenance costs, etc. That's why the systems that have done this (including the provincial fleet) have tended to do so from a certain purchase date, rather than cutting off mid-life rebuilds of existing coaches.

Furthermore, if memory serves, when TransLink switched from a parallel-hybrid to a series-hybrid drivetrain, it was with the express intention of converting the buses to battery-electric at their mid-life rebuild. (A series hybrid is basically a battery-electric bus with a diesel generator, whereas parallel systems like the Allison EP use the engine both to generate electrical power and to turn the wheels directly.)

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...