dover5949

2001 Orion V Retirement

49 minutes ago, Express691 said:

I mean, can we just do away with suburban-configured buses altogether if the routes are so short? Perhaps just dedicate the deckers to 351/352/354 and maybe the 555.

Use them on the 620!

4 hours ago, rulerduler said:

Use them on the 620!

Too much luggage for the upper deck to be super useful. You’re better off with artics for that one IMO.

• Like 1

On 1/8/2019 at 6:47 PM, dover5949 said:

Not officially confirmed as retirements as the following coaches have not been on the road recently...9209 Dec 10, 9224 Dec 27, 9245 Nov 27, 9250 Dec 28

9224 is sitting at the back of STC.

A minor issue, but can someone change the name of this thread to Orion Retirement? I feel like '5' doesn't do justice to this bus.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, FlyingPig said:

A minor issue, but can someone change the name of this thread to Orion Retirement? I feel like '5' doesn't do justice to this bus.

I don't care (neither do most others in this forum). As long as there's a distinction.

Whatever - this entire section seems to have no idea what integrity is.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Express691 said:

Whelp. There's only so much we can do.

9 hours ago, Express691 said:

I don't care (neither do most others in this forum). As long as there's a distinction.

Still waiting for the RV conversion dreamers to lineup at auction to buy these?

• Haha 3

59 minutes ago, northwesterner said:

Still waiting for the RV conversion dreamers to lineup at auction to buy these?

I did see a video of a young family living out of an ex Denver V conversion that was....not terrible. Still though, they’d be the exception and not the rule. They definitely got the vegan/non gmo Whole Foods/vaccinations cause autism/organic cork Birkenstock’s stereotype. Ironic they choose to live in a vehicle that gets 7 MPG.

I’m guessing that you’re in the puget sound area, so you can’t swing a chainsaw around without hitting one. 😋

2 hours ago, Bus_Medic said:

I’m guessing that you’re in the puget sound area, so you can’t swing a chainsaw around without hitting one. 😋

From there originally, socal these days. Yes - I am very familiar with the type.

1 hour ago, northwesterner said:

From there originally, socal these days. Yes - I am very familiar with the type.

Hope to retire there. PNW that is...north side of the 49th parallel. I’d try now, but I’m exactly halfway from retiring from Toronto with a full pension....I just need to stick it out a little longer. Tired of the snow and salt.

47 minutes ago, Jaymaud0804 said:

You lie. Toronto doesn't have any snow. Only salt.

Busted.

Can't they just put them in their non revenue fleet as a training vehicle for the Nova Suburban drivers or sell them to some some coach/charter company? Is that their plan?

1 minute ago, Urban_Monkey Transit said:

Can't they just put them in their non revenue fleet as a training vehicle for the Nova Suburban drivers or sell them to some some coach/charter company? Is that their plan?

Why?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Urban_Monkey Transit said:

Can't they just put them in their non revenue fleet as a training vehicle for the Nova Suburban drivers

A 3rd gen Nova would be closer than the Orions

1 hour ago, Urban_Monkey Transit said:

sell them to some some coach/charter company? Is that their plan?

go a few pages back and read

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Urban_Monkey Transit said:

I don't think any of them will end up for sale because they're all in such bad shape. A coach/charter company would be better off with like an old MCI or Prevost from the early 90s or something. These buses have too many mechanical and/or cosmetic and possible structural issues stemming from the hard lives they lived.

2 hours ago, Urban_Monkey Transit said:

To expand it's use life and not just scrap it.

Transit buses are designed to be good for 12 years (I don't know why that's the standard but it is) and anything after that, they aren't guaranteed to be good.

Edited by Community Shuttle
I basically repeated the above reply but oh well

58 minutes ago, Community Shuttle said:

Transit buses are designed to be good for 12 years (I don't know why that's the standard but it is)

It’s the standard because that’s the age at which the US DoT will provide federal funding to replace it. For that reason, US transit agencies generally don’t bother with the kind of comprehensive midlife mechanical rebuild we do, which is why our buses are in better shape in their later lives. By twenty years, though, the frames themselves start to break down.

• Like 3

Red- Retired/decommissioned

Black- Active

Skinny- 2000/2001 order

Italicized- 2007/2008 order

(92)01

Edited by Jaymaud0804
9276 was built in 2001
  • Like 3

29 minutes ago, Jaymaud0804 said:

Should I change the shade of green?

I like what you did, but I don't see a need to make active units green; I say keep it the standard black (I think that red and black contrast each other better, thereby making it more clear). I'd also prefer the 2008 units be italicized as I find the bold font a bit too distracting/overpowering (maybe that's just me).

• Like 2