Jump to content
dover5949

2001 Orion V Retirement

Recommended Posts

12 hours ago, Community Shuttle said:

@MCW Metrobus I think that thread should be unlocked and this one merged with it

I think that posts should remain on topic, and foolish garbage should be kept elsewhere, preferribly off the forum as many wpuld like to go back and review archives for enjoymwnt, or for whatever other purposes may be, therefore , i think a whole page of nonsense should not be unlocked and merged but rather deleted altogether, as it looks childish, and has kept me from using the forums altogether. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Marlow1331 said:

I think that posts should remain on topic, and foolish garbage should be kept elsewhere, preferribly off the forum as many wpuld like to go back and review archives for enjoymwnt, or for whatever other purposes may be, therefore , i think a whole page of nonsense should not be unlocked and merged but rather deleted altogether, as it looks childish, and has kept me from using the forums altogether. 

unless admins have a way to delete those replies

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Community Shuttle said:

unless admins have a way to delete those replies

Just admit that someone else posted before you

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Transit geek said:

I think this post just needs to be merged as part of regular "garbage collection" on the board. Of course, at the discretion of an ADMIN.

Agreed. To keep things on topic. I once read that romours would be the later model V's would go with the original batch... Whats the condition like on these units. Given we have seen the later 73/74xxs out the door, could this be true? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Marlow1331 said:

Agreed. To keep things on topic. I once read that romours would be the later model V's would go with the original batch... Whats the condition like on these units. Given we have seen the later 73/74xxs out the door, could this be true? 

they're only 10 years old, i dont see why they'd retire them this soon

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Marlow1331 said:

Agreed. To keep things on topic. I once read that romours would be the later model V's would go with the original batch... Whats the condition like on these units. Given we have seen the later 73/74xxs out the door, could this be true? 

They have the same engines as a lot of not to be retired vehicles. They'll live for a while IMO

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, cleowin said:

they're only 10 years old, i dont see why they'd retire them this soon

If they're really intent on getting rid of orions, they'd probably be more likely to try sell those ones rather than scrapping them at this point.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ThatBusGuy said:

If they're really intent on getting rid of orions, they'd probably be more likely to try sell those ones rather than scrapping them at this point.

But knowing TransLink they'll never sell anything but shuttles and the few conventionals that somehow don't get run into the ground

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cleowin said:

they're only 10 years old, i dont see why they'd retire them this soon

If MARTA retired their 1994 D40LF's after 10 years of service, anything can happen... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Ninja Bus Fan said:

If MARTA retired their 1994 D40LF's after 10 years of service, anything can happen... 

US federal funding rules assume a twelve-year service life for buses (and don’t fund the massive mid-life rebuild needed to go much beyond that). Also, MARTA actually massively cut bus service a couple years earlier, so these buses may well have been surplus. Our situation is almost precisely the opposite.

1 hour ago, Community Shuttle said:

But knowing TransLink they'll never sell anything but shuttles and the few conventionals that somehow don't get run into the ground

They don’t bother trying to sell them, precisely because they are run into the ground by the time TransLink is done with them. And that’s especially true now, given how many retirements they’ve deferred to implement service expansions.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GORDOOM said:

US federal funding rules assume a twelve-year service life for buses (and don’t fund the massive mid-life rebuild needed to go much beyond that). Also, MARTA actually massively cut bus service a couple years earlier, so these buses may well have been surplus. Our situation is almost precisely the opposite.

They don’t bother trying to sell them, precisely because they are run into the ground by the time TransLink is done with them. And that’s especially true now, given how many retirements they’ve deferred to implement service expansions.

Yes, TransLink loves to run everything but shuttles in the ground, but some conventionals somehow end up making it out alive (e.g. movie studio's buses, 3106, etc.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Community Shuttle said:

Yes, TransLink loves to run everything but shuttles in the ground, but some conventionals somehow end up making it out alive (e.g. movie studio's buses, 3106, etc.)

lol, kinda like NICE bus in New York City. But it'd be a shame to see TransLink retire these jems. They are (along with Golden Gate Transit in SF bay area) among the last TAs in existents with DDS50 Orion Vs on such a large scale.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Phillip said:

9234 is on the retired bus track

I knew this one would be done, it was the longest STC one gone since 9254 was transferred to STC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This opens up the doors for the private collectors as well possibly. I would lo e to see a second life come from them. But we all know Vancouver has the interesting reputation of cutting them in half and shipping them off to be recycled. The Orion V is nearly gone with Vancouver having the most in service in Canada for now. Ontario has one left, Quebec has some floating around & Fortress of Louisbourg has the oldest. They are the only places that you can find them in limited service. I already would assume Vancouver would be the last to operate them as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, TTC 9701 said:

But we all know Vancouver has the interesting reputation of cutting them in half and shipping them off to be recycled.

This is only because TransLink squeezes every last kilometer they could out of their buses (i.e. works them really hard for their 20-year lives) and they end up in a condition unfit for resale. BC Transit is known to do the same as well.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Community Shuttle said:

This is only because TransLink squeezes every last kilometer they could out of their buses (i.e. works them really hard for their 20-year lives) and they end up in a condition unfit for resale. BC Transit is known to do the same as well.

Now TransLink knows how to run buses unlike TTC...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chris.A said:

Now TransLink knows how to run buses unlike TTC...

They run it like everyone else... They are 2001 and 2008 models. Now lets keep the TTC out of this section lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chris.A said:

Now TransLink knows how to run buses unlike TTC...

Fact check:

Toronto got 18 years out of their 135 1996  V’s.

1991’s made it to 18 as well.

  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I mean... A bus is a bus. Once a bus develops some pretty serious issues, mechanical or structural, and there are new buses to replace them with, they go. Exact reason why there are 01s going before 96s (in terms of D40LFs) and so on. 

Edited by Community Shuttle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...