Sign in to follow this  

What are your New Year's resolutions for 2019?

Leave your resolutions here. Here are my 2.

- Eat healtier 

- Instead of going to the gym twice a week, I'll be trying four times a week

- Be a better husband and be there for my daughter

• Like 2

4 hours ago, STO_1601 said:

Find a new job. My contract expires early next year.

That's rough.  I hope you find something good soon, hopefully permanent employment and not a temporary contract.

6 hours ago, 7575 said:

Leave your resolutions here. Here are my 2.

- Eat healtier 

- Instead of going to the gym twice a week, I'll be trying four times a week

Same here.  My diet isn't too bad but I do need to severely increase the amount of time I'm spending at the gym.

I also need to make a point about putting in some serious work on various projects around the house.  I'm not happy with the backlog that's built up.

• Like 1

I am hitting up the pool three times a week. Right now too busy for more because I have to visit mom in the nursing home 2 - 3 times a week.  In the future I plan to hit the pool up more often.

• Like 1

Honestly not proud to admit this as I'm likely going to get s#it for this but..

-Quit Smoking. I only smoke(d) a couple times a week due to stress and anxiety from work and school but there is no excuse for that sort of activity. Recently I've been able to stop and I plan on keeping that for good.  Though I am perfectly healthy and admitted it to doctors, it isn't healthy, expensive and it's gross!

-Need to smile more often. I've lived a life of cynism, and honestly, I want to change that. Whether that includes interacting more with other people or looking at the bright side of life. I need to embrace life rather than just get frustrated over the little things. 

Do Goals Also Count as Resolutions?

-Complete my Private Pilots License by September 2019 so I can enter the Aviation Program in University rather than doing another year of doing General Education Courses. 

I probably have more but that's it for now. I normally don't think resolutions till the last couple days of the year. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Greatcoinz said:

Honestly not proud to admit this as I'm likely going to get s#it for this but..

-Quit Smoking. I only smoke(d) a couple times a week due to stress and anxiety from work and school but there is no excuse for that sort of activity. Recently I've been able to stop and I plan on keeping that for good.  Though I am perfectly healthy and admitted it to doctors, it isn't healthy and it's gross!

-Need to smile more often. I've lived a life of cynicism, and honestly, I want to change that. Whether that includes interacting more with other people or looking at the bright side of life. I need to embrace life rather than just get frustrated over the little things. 

Do Goals Also Count as Resolutions?

-Complete my Private Pilots License by September 2019 so I can enter the Aviation Program in University rather than doing another year of doing General Education Courses. 

Admitting these things and wanting to do something about them is very admirable. It's when you take the easy / lazy way out that you end up digging a deeper hole.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I too would like to find a proper job. I'm currently in a seasonal retail position and I'd like to finally get a career in journalism. Heaven only knows how I'll do that though... even these days I keep getting rejection emails from jobs I applied to back in the summer. I really don't want to do more retail work, but I also really don't want to be unemployed for several months again :(

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PCC Guy said:

I too would like to find a proper job. I'm currently in a seasonal retail position and I'd like to finally get a career in journalism. Heaven only knows how I'll do that though... even these days I keep getting rejection emails from jobs I applied to back in the summer. I really don't want to do more retail work, but I also really don't want to be unemployed for several months again :(

I need to find something else myself. My hours are messed up and there's been a trend of getting moved all over the place. First, I was at Birchmount as a mechanic and now I'm waiting for another position to open up. It's a waiting game from here on out. Maybe MiWay? I also hate working nights and I need to be a good father for my daughter, especially while she's young.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, captaintrolley said:

...snip... that you end up digging a deeper hole.

I have always thought that "When you at the bottom of a hole, quit digging!" is very good advice; works, too.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

I have always thought that "When you at the bottom of a hole, quit digging!" is very good advice; works, too.

Pile the dirt up and climb back out !!!

• Like 2

My biggest goal is to have a job at least by spring break or summer break.  I'm now fifteen and I need to be able to rely on myself for money instead of my parents, and of course to fund my various hobbies such as technology, photography and of course transit fanning.  I also need to schedule my time a bit better.  This semester has been quiet with only English and Math but next semester (which starts in February), I've got another semester of Math (because of my school's new grade 10 math system ) as well as Social and Science.  I'm going to get stressed with all the homework coming in, so best that I pre-plan beforehand.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, TechSpotlight said:

My biggest goal is to have a job at least by spring break or summer break.  I'm now fifteen and I need to be able to rely on myself for money instead of my parents, and of course to fund my various hobbies such as technology, photography and of course transit fanning.  I also need to schedule my time a bit better.  This semester has been quiet with only English and Math but next semester (which starts in February), I've got another semester of Math (because of my school's new grade 10 math system ) as well as Social and Science.  I'm going to get stressed with all the homework coming in, so best that I pre-plan beforehand.

Good luck! I wish I could give you some advice but I was in high school when there were no colours...

• Like 1

On 12/11/2018 at 1:05 AM, Gregory said:
  • Get a new job, I'm not really happy with where I am now, but hey, it pays the bills.
  • Get an apartment.
  • Eat healthier.
  • Start working out.

On 12/11/2018 at 8:09 AM, PCC Guy said:

On 12/11/2018 at 10:58 AM, 7575 said:

I need to find something else myself. My hours are messed up and there's been a trend of getting moved all over the place. First, I was at Birchmount as a mechanic and now I'm waiting for another position to open up. It's a waiting game from here on out. Maybe MiWay? I also hate working nights and I need to be a good father for my daughter, especially while she's young.

Add me to the list of people wanting to find other work.  I've been at my place for almost 11 years now and it's slid badly because of a number of problems.  Shrinking budgets, management turnover where every new management team seeks to build a new empire in their own vision, you name it.  The working hours have gotten out of control as has the workload as they've demanded more and more specialty coverage shifts but also demanded that certain systems technolgists be taken off shift rotation and available to management on fixed days.  Then they parachuted a bunch of basketcases into the department and none of them work shifts.  The shop absorbed their workload and two of them sit around on cadillac gold plated Monday-Friday dayshifts surfing Facebook and Kijiji all day.  Apparently without repercussions too, and that really burns me because if something breaks and I don't come racing back from my meal break when my cellphone rings, there's hell to pay.  The double standards, managerial entitlement, slacker entitlement, and such are bothering a lot of the people here who do the shifts and do the work and there's already been one confrontation between two of my co-workers that landed both in the HR department.  Finding decent work in the GTA when you're not an office-dwelling Excel jockey and the bottom's fallen out of the industrial base here, that's another matter entirely though.

It's almost a full week into 2019.  How is everyone's resolutions holding up so far?  On my end, not good.  I haven't set foot in the gym yet this year and it's probably going to be about a week until I'm able to do so.  My insane work hours are largely the cause.  I'm paying for it right now too.  No gym and I had an indoor football game after work last night for the first time in almost a month and the team had a short bench so I ended up playing O and D line both ways except for the last five minutes.  No break and no water except for the five minute half time break and the last five minutes where they were able to get another lineman on who'd arrived late, and my body's killing me now.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Wayside Observer said:

It's almost a full week into 2019.  How is everyone's resolutions holding up so far?  On my end, not good.  I haven't set foot in the gym yet this year and it's probably going to be about a week until I'm able to do so.  My insane work hours are largely the cause.  I'm paying for it right now too.  No gym and I had an indoor football game after work last night for the first time in almost a month and the team had a short bench so I ended up playing O and D line both ways except for the last five minutes.  No break and no water except for the five minute half time break and the last five minutes where they were able to get another lineman on who'd arrived late, and my body's killing me now.

I am living up to my resolution. I've been staying away from fast food and I went to the gym 3 times last week. Next step, quit smoking.

5 minutes ago, Wayside Observer said:

I'm paying for it right now too.  No gym and I had an indoor football game after work last night for the first time in almost a month and the team had a short bench so I ended up playing O and D line both ways except for the last five minutes.  No break and no water except for the five minute half time break and the last five minutes where they were able to get another lineman on who'd arrived late, and my body's killing me now.

R.I.P

6 minutes ago, Wayside Observer said:

Add me to the list of people wanting to find other work.  I've been at my place for almost 11 years now and it's slid badly because of a number of problems.  Shrinking budgets, management turnover where every new management team seeks to build a new empire in their own vision, you name it.  The working hours have gotten out of control as has the workload as they've demanded more and more specialty coverage shifts but also demanded that certain systems technolgists be taken off shift rotation and available to management on fixed days.  Then they parachuted a bunch of basketcases into the department and none of them work shifts.  The shop absorbed their workload and two of them sit around on cadillac gold plated Monday-Friday dayshifts surfing Facebook and Kijiji all day.  Apparently without repercussions too, and that really burns me because if something breaks and I don't come racing back from my meal break when my cellphone rings, there's hell to pay.  The double standards, managerial entitlement, slacker entitlement, and such are bothering a lot of the people here who do the shifts and do the work and there's already been one confrontation between two of my co-workers that landed both in the HR department.  Finding decent work in the GTA when you're not an office-dwelling Excel jockey and the bottom's fallen out of the industrial base here, that's another matter entirely though.

If you don't mind me asking, where do you work?

11 minutes ago, 7575 said:

Shrinking budgets, management turnover where every new management team seeks to build a new empire in their own vision, you name it.  The working hours have gotten out of control as has the workload as they've demanded more and more specialty coverage shifts but also demanded that certain systems technolgists be taken off shift rotation and available to management on fixed days.  Then they parachuted a bunch of basketcases into the department and none of them work shifts.  The shop absorbed their workload and two of them sit around on Cadillac gold plated Monday-Friday dayshifts surfing Facebook and Kijiji all day.

Sounds normal. Good luck finding work where this isn't prevalent.

1 hour ago, Wayside Observer said:

I feel you, I've got to start going to the gym too. I've gone out on trips almost every day with my family but I've barely moved besides that. At least you have work as an excuse... I just can't work up enough discipline to get up from the computer every hour so and stretch. :(

As for the job search, I've had no shifts this year and haven't applied to any so far. However, I have applied to a couple of paid summer internships in Slovakia through a portal catering to expats and the like. I doubt I'll be picked, but it'd be awesome if I did, because it would mean I'd spend my entire summer there, something I'd give an arm and a leg to do anytime.

Sticking to the topic of jobs, I just started one last year with a company that would train you in technical skills with the goal of landing a placement with one of their clients. So let that be my simple yet specific resolution for the year.

4 hours ago, 7575 said:

I am living up to my resolution. I've been staying away from fast food and I went to the gym 3 times last week. Next step, quit smoking.

That's good!  Quitting smoking's going to probably be the most challenging with how powerful nicotine addiction is.  The gym resolution on my side's been deferred until next week just because of how work and a number of personal events have unfolded schedulewise.

4 hours ago, 7575 said:

R.I.P

I am resting in peace.  On the couch, with the cat, and a crackling fire, nice and cosy watching the temperature drop on my outdoor thermometer, and slowly recovering from that game.  We all got bashed up pretty badly except for the guy who arrived seriously late but that's the reality of full contact football with a short bench especially indoor because it's a faster, harder game due to the field size and the way the nominal one hour game is split into two 25 minute periods instead of 15 minute quarters.  It was lots of fun though.  But wow, playing line for 25 minutes uninterrupted before being able to get water, that's a long and thirsty 25 minutes...

5 hours ago, 7575 said:

If you don't mind me asking, where do you work?

I don't mind you asking but I'd prefer to keep the specifics off public forum since this is open to the public and searchable.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Wayside Observer said:

I don't mind you asking but I'd prefer to keep the specifics off public forum since this is open to the public and searchable.

PM me.