Vancouver

2018 Novabus LFS CNG Sightings and Deliveries

On 12/6/2018 at 12:32 AM, School Bus 101 said:

The city plans to replace roughly half of its diesel-powered buses with ones that run on natural gas

Does this mean roughly 400 40/60 foot CNG, or could the 1800's be replaced by CNG as well?

On 12/7/2018 at 11:54 AM, Jaymaud0804 said:

Does this mean roughly 400 40/60 foot CNG, or could the 1800's be replaced by CNG as well?

I think CT will stick with gasoline for the community shuttles as there are no current CNG offerings for the Arbocs. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, TechSpotlight said:

I think CT will stick with gasoline for the community shuttles as there are no current CNG offerings for the Arbocs. 

They don't have to go with Arboc, do they?

1 hour ago, Jaymaud0804 said:

They don't have to go with Arboc, do they?

Fair point, but as they’ve ordered from them since 2009, it’s very likely that they will continue to order from them in the future.  But remember, they just ordered a significant number of Arbocs last year (I think it was 137) so we might have to wait a little while for that to happen.  

Anyway, let’s move this discussion to another thread and stay on topic with the new Novas.

There's at least 5 more of these along the South Fence at SG, and saw 2 more being delivered yesterday heading off Deerfoot onto 32nd Avenue. The Luminator Titan sign looks sharp. Will they run from SG at all or are we keeping them until Stoney opens in the new year?

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Vancouver said:

There's at least 5 more of these along the South Fence at SG, and saw 2 more being delivered yesterday heading off Deerfoot onto 32nd Avenue. The Luminator Titan sign looks sharp. Will they run from SG at all or are we keeping them until Stoney opens in the new year?

I would guess that they probably wouldn't see service until Stoney opens. Fueling the CNG buses is very labour intensive and inefficient right now - someone needs to drive them offsite for fueling, then back again.  Once Stoney opens, that changes drastically.  I think they're also probably using them for testing and commissioning at Stoney.

3 hours ago, LRT said:

That's one ugly operators window. Why did they change it?

It's to improve visibility. The B-pillar is now behind the driver to offer a clearer view. The mirror is also repositioned.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LRT said:

That's one ugly operators window. Why did they change it?

Calgary Transit cares more about safety of their operators (and other drivers) than the look of their buses.  Yes it doesn't look the best but once you see them more, you will get used to it and not hate it as much.

A real simple and elegant solution would be to add black around the driver's window, connecting with the passenger window. Looks like Calgary was doing that on the previous batches of Novas.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TechSpotlight said:

Calgary Transit cares more about safety of their operators 

😂

Too cute. Yes they do care your right 😉

But as an operator I've seen a lot of things happen over the years that have taken a long time to fix.

Back in the day the series 8s didn't have door knobs on the inside of the train cab doors.. instead they had a yellow plastic strap that was used to shut the door... I can't tell you how many times I got my hand caught in the door with those things.

I've never driven a Nova bus so I had no idea they had issues with visibility. Good on them to change the design.

When I 1st saw that window it kind of reminded me of a bus that was converted to a RV and they stuck that window there because they had it laying around in the shop. Lol

• Haha 2

On ‎11‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 11:15 AM, vicinity said:

Sorry i didn’t mean to sound condescending, this is a very interesting development. A little disappointing they didn’t come painted 

Buses haven't come painted for years at least not "big" buses. Much easier and cheaper to fix/modify/change decals than paint especially since the panels are not metal. They could have come pre-decaled but the city has a contract with someone in the city to decal them

On ‎12‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 9:23 AM, CTrainDude said:

I would guess that they probably wouldn't see service until Stoney opens. Fueling the CNG buses is very labour intensive and inefficient right now - someone needs to drive them offsite for fueling, then back again.  Once Stoney opens, that changes drastically.  I think they're also probably using them for testing and commissioning at Stoney.

Stoney will be designed different in all aspects as you cannot just park CNG buses inside a building. NG is lighter than air and if there is a leak will slowly fill the building so they need different air makeup units etc, plus as mentioned you multiple filling stations as they are slower to fill. At least time they didn't pick a brand new bus architecture like they did with the first batch of Nova's and the last Flyers. Odd they can produce a 500 page document for the bus tender but aren't smart enough to not pick a brand new architecture for the bus

Minor nitpick, to add, I’m rather certain they will also have a de-fuelling station on site. Outwardly resembles a retail propane dispenser with a vertical tank. Some work in the shop itself such as welding, is best done with the tanks empty. They’ll just shunt them around with a tug.

Even if Stoney was designed for diesel buses, considering the sheer numbers it’s designed to house, there would still be at least four or five fuelling stations.

• Like 1

On 2/20/2019 at 6:58 PM, Rainman said:

Buses haven't come painted for years at least not "big" buses. Much easier and cheaper to fix/modify/change decals than paint especially since the panels are not metal. They could have come pre-decaled but the city has a contract with someone in the city to decal them

#'s 8205-8354, 1625-1634, and 6074-6093 were all delivered fully painted.  Not wrapped.  However, they have gone back to having them delivered plain white and then wrapping them in the livery with this newest batch of CNG LFS buses.

This post with be edited until the first spotting on the next page is posted.

Normal- delivered, in service

Bold- delivered, not in service

Bold red- not delivered

Units delivered: 10/40

Units in service: 0/40

Edited by Imgursdownvote4love
Fleet numbers!
  • Like 1

On 2/20/2019 at 6:58 PM, Rainman said:

Let's be honest here every single bus Calgary Transit has received has been painted at least white!😋🤤😝

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I don't ride buses so I can't compare the engine noise levels but this thing was so quiet that we thought it was shut off when in fact it was idling. The bus was at AG for show-'n-tell.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, chills_on_the_train said:

Having ridden on 8302, I didn't really find it noticeably quieter than the other 8000-series buses, are there datapoints somewhere that show a clear reduction in engine noise on these models?

Medicine Hat Transit's C40LFRs (2012, ISL G) aren't much quieter than the 2010 D40LFRs (ISL), but the 2014 XN40s (also ISL G) are noticeably quieter than the diesels.

It will be interesting to see the difference between the diesel and CNG Vicinities