2018 Novabus LFS CNG Sightings and Deliveries

Vancouver

I passed by Spring Gardens tonight and noticed a completely white Novabus LFS CNG bus parked between 8203 and 8204. It has the new LFS driver window design and does not have a back window like 8203 / 8204. I assume this is one of the 40 that is coming from the order that was placed earlier this year.

This thread is to post sightings and deliveries of these buses, unless I'm completely out of touch and this isn't actually one of the Calgary units that's part of this order.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Vancouver said:

I passed by Spring Gardens tonight and noticed a completely white Novabus LFS CNG bus parked between 8203 and 8204. It has the new LFS driver window design and does not have a back window like 8203 / 8204. 

I’m fairly certain 8203 and 8204 don’t have back windows 

25 minutes ago, vicinity said:

I’m fairly certain 8203 and 8204 don’t have back windows 

Both the demonstrators don't have back windows. I was trying to say it was similar to 8203 / 8204 and not like the Red Deer LFS CNGs which do but I guess I did phrase that correctly.

1 hour ago, Blake M said:

I was sent a photo of the inside of one of the new novas 

received_732359377157239.jpeg

I don't mind the look of them, but I agree with "R. Meu" by the fact they look cheap and plasticy.  I would rather have a more comfortable seat than have the seat match the colours of the exterior of the bus.

• Like 1

You can also better see if someone's made a mess before you sit down …

Had a lovely experience this summer aboard an XD40, unknowingly setting myself down on a seat where someone has spilled something. Didn't realize anything was wrong until a cooling sensation soaked through my pants. ?  Happily there was no odour and I suspected it was just plain (but very cold) H20.

2 hours ago, Jaymaud0804 said:

Why didn't we just keep the LFS CNG demonstrators thread?

These new Novas aren't "demonstrators".  That thread is for 8203 and 8204 and this thread is for the new order that CT is getting (8355-8394 and possibly further on).  There may be more information coming to 8203 and 8204 in the future and just makes more sense to keep them in separate threads, to avoid confusion.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TechSpotlight said:

These new Novas aren't "demonstrators".  That thread is for 8203 and 8204 and this thread is for the new order that CT is getting (8355-8394 and possibly further on).  There may be more information coming to 8203 and 8204 in the future and just makes more sense to keep them in separate threads, to avoid confusion.

Not only that, but they probably have different specs to begin with.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Vancouver said:

I think another one of these might have arrived as this one had #02 on the sheet of paper attached to the front window.

Here's a picture of it beside 7659 and 8203 at SG.

1650475410_NovaCNG.thumb.jpg.d1b25de2421dcb20d554825af7fd3649.jpg

The amount of space between the driver window and the first passenger window looks terrible imo... but happy with the frame-less windows! 

Seems to be replacement based on this article from several months ago: https://www.thestar.com/calgary/2018/06/18/calgary-doesnt-want-betamax-version-as-it-considers-electric-bus-pilot-project.html

Calgary’s fleet of 1,000 buses overwhelmingly runs on diesel (850) and gasoline (150). The city plans to replace roughly half of its diesel-powered buses with ones that run on natural gas over the next five years.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, School Bus 101 said:

Nice! I rode on one of the demonstrators a few weeks back. Seemed just like any other XD40 - maybe slightly quieter?

But an 85% emissions reduction is a definite win. Overall that may even be better than an all-electric fleet when you consider the CO2 from generation.