Monster OAD™ - Cummins Approves New Transit Product.

Al Steadman

Hello Everyone,

I am new to this forum and my name is Al Steadman.  I am a Project Manager for Litens Automotive.  I have purposely asked for permission to post from the Administrator and therefore I want to introduce to this forum the Monster OAD™.  This is an exciting new product for the transit industry. It is an alternator pulley that has a spring and clutch mechanism inside. The main purpose of the Monster OAD™ is to fix the belt drive issues with the ISL9 (and other engines) and at the same time increase Fuel Economy/Reduce emissions.  Shut down chirps, transmission shift chirps, broken belts, and premature tensioner, idler and alternator bearing wear are all fixed with the 5 min install of the Monster OAD™.

Has anyone in this forum heard of the Monster OAD™?   I would like to generate some discussion on this topic.

Note: The Monster OAD™ has just been approved by Cummins for use on the new L9 engines with the large alternators.  Cummins has tested the Monster OAD™ and agrees that the product does exactly what it has been designed to do. 

The Monster OAD™ is available for retrofit to existing fleet, as well as for new bus builds. Be sure to add it to your bus spec, you will not be disappointed with what the Monster OAD™ can do or how well it performs.  

I would be happy to answer any questions and facilitate any discussion surrounding this new product to the transit industry. Below is my phone number should you wish to discuss directly.

Here is a couple websites of my Canadian distributor (ELREG)  should you wish to see the product videos and read up on it.

https://www.elreg.com/product/306-p920101-monster-oad-decoupler-pulley-8-grooves-splined-version-3-75-od/

https://www.elreg.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/Litens-OAD-Brochure.pdf

Absolute best regards,

Al Steadman

Project Manger, Product Engineering - Commercial Vehicles.

Litens Automotive Partnership

150 Courtland Ave, Concord, Ontario, L4K 3T6 , Canada

OFFICE +1 905-760-9177 ,, 2235

Actually, can’t say that I’ve heard of this product before...but alternator belt issues haven’t been especially prevalent in our fleet either (Niehoffs on the existing hybrids, 50DNs on everything else). Belt squeal on the novabus bitzer a/c compressors is a persistent issue however.

Higher up on my list of gripes is the longevity of Cummins’ fan hub (serpentine belt idler in transit bus applications) bearings...and ISB water pumps...

Bus medic.

Thanks for your comments. The Monster OAD™ also helps the fan hub on the ISL last longer as well as waterpumps on the ISB.  It does this by absorbing the torsional vibration firing pulses and accels/deccels throughout the belt drive and all its components.  

Consider trying a Monster OAD™...it is a 5 minute install. 

Al

3 minutes ago, Al Steadman said:

Bus medic.

Thanks for your comments. The Monster OAD also helps the fan hub on the ISL last longer as well as waterpumps on the ISB.  It does this by absorbing the torsional vibration firing pulses and accels/deccels throughout the belt drive and all its components.  

Consider trying a Monster OAD...it is a 5 minute install. 

Al

I would, unfortunately I’m just a grunt in the trenches. The enginerds in technical support services guard their sandbox very closely. I’ve brought several innovative products to their attention over the last 15 years to no avail. I’ve no influence over trials or purchasing.

Basically given up on breaking through the bureaucratic glass ceiling at this point in my career.

17 hours ago, Bus_Medic said:

I would, unfortunately I’m just a grunt in the trenches. The enginerds in technical support services guard their sandbox very closely. I’ve brought several innovative products to their attention over the last 15 years to no avail. I’ve no influence over trials or purchasing.

Basically given up on breaking through the bureaucratic glass ceiling at this point in my career.

Bus Medic,

I do know that some transits take a while to adapt to new technology, but the Litens OAD is not "new technology".  Almost every new vehicle sold today has a Litens OAD™ attached to the alternator.   It should be noted that even the new Promaster wheeltrans buses already have the OAD™ on the alternator. 

The Litens OAD™ is considered low hanging fruit for the OEMs when it comes to bolt on fuel economy and durable quiet belt drive systems.

The Monster OAD™ can save up to 5% fuel.... the payback (depending on fuel price) can be 3 months.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/10/2018 at 8:56 AM, Al Steadman said:

Has anyone in this forum tried the Monster OAD™?

Please post your experiences and any questions you may have.

We appreciate any feedback and discussion you may have.

AL

I haven’t tried it. But I’m definitely curious why this board is devolving into a free outlet for product research.

• Like 1

On 12/10/2018 at 5:56 AM, Al Steadman said:

Has anyone in this forum tried the Monster OAD™?

Please post your experiences and any questions you may have.

We appreciate any feedback and discussion you may have.

AL

Never heard of this before. I'm mostly working on Detroit Series 60s and Volvo D13s on coaches. Has this been tested on such engines? Never really thought about the chirping too much until this was brought up. 

On ‎12‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 2:47 AM, translink fan said:

Never heard of this before. I'm mostly working on Detroit Series 60s and Volvo D13s on coaches. Has this been tested on such engines? Never really thought about the chirping too much until this was brought up. 

Transitlink fan,

This has not been tested on the Detroit Series 60 engines as they are clearly on their way out, and they use a 10 rib belt instead of the 8rib that Cummins is currently using on the ISL.

With respect to Volvo D13 engine, there has been no testing on Volvo buses as of yet, however Nova bus (which is Volvo owned but uses Cummins engines in transit buses), has a part for testing. 

It should be noted that the OAD™ technology is very mature (20yrs old ow)  and almost every new light duty vehicle has one already installed from the factory. It is only now that they are being developed for the Heavy Truck and bus market.

Thanks for your feedback,

AL

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎12‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 12:14 AM, NeOn Bus Rider said:

@Al Steadman

You may want to get your company in next year's Ontario Transportation Expo and CUTA's trade show to show case your product. Most of us can't convince our higher ups on even trying your product. The best way is the have them come to you at your booth.

Neon Bus Rider,

Happy new year and hank you for your input and feedback.  Our product was showcased by both CE Niehoff as well as one of our distributors (ELREG) at both the OTE and CUTA trade shows in 2018. 

Keep pushing your higher ups to at least have a look at the product, and then take advantage of the fuel savings and belt calming benefits of the Monster OAD™ for the whole fleet. .

Cheers,

AL