Spadina Subway Extension

Mr. Engineer

Most of the students that go to York U would most likely be finished there education by the time the extension is opened. If I'm not wrong I think I read somewhere that if construction starts this year it would be finished in 2013. Also, on CP24 I heard Vaughan whats to start construction this summer.

remember that during this time as the extension is being built there will be a bus right of way from downsview to york university using the hydro corridor

Waste of money.

http://www.citynews.ca/news/news_8430.aspx

The woman at the end basically sums up why.

There are other priorities that York Region and Toronto should be focussing on:

BRT and the subway extension in Scarborough. Why create a new project and when there's an uncomplete one elsewhere?

Wilson Wu

Markham, ON

one word

politics

Most of the students that go to York U would most likely be finished there education by the time the extension is opened. If I'm not wrong I think I read somewhere that if construction starts this year it would be finished in 2013. Also, on CP24 I heard Vaughan whats to start construction this summer.

More like today students WILL BE FINISHED their education at York by 2013

2013? why so long?

Quote taken from here: http://www.toronto.ca/ttc/spadina_extension/faq.htm

When will the Spadina Subway Extension open?

The subway extension will open approximately 7 years after MOE EA approval:

• EA Study and MOE Review/Approval = 2 years (Approval expected Fall 2006)

• Design = 2 to 3 years

• Construction, Testing and Commissioning = 3 to 4 years

• Open for Service – late 2013 / early 2014

I didnt look here last night so, bare with me... Its a kinda late response to some things...

The 407 ETR may not be own by Mexico in particular, but the fact of the matter is... Its not owned by us; Ontario. Thats Bad business sense on the part of Harris's Cons because although the tax credit thing was a good idea (NOT :lol:), they knew they were building the 407, and should not have made such a bold promise, knowing that the only thing that could pay for it was selling the 407. If he hadn't made that crappy promise, we would still have the 407, and TTC would have another subway line, perhaps even the Eglington line.

There is certain justification for building this extension. As is, most of the YRT buses that connect with the TTC go to Finch station. By building this line right into the heart of York, at least half of those buses would be switched to Vaughn Corperate. This would benefit in the way of reducing the crowds on the Yonge subway that come from York, AND this would also decrease passenger traffic through Finch station, perhaps allowing for short turning at both ends of the line. This would then allow for ATO to be done (the 90 sec headways), without major construction at the terminal stations.

It is reported that shovels could go in the ground, early this summer. That would make opening in 2011, according to your timeline, Wil9402. Thats if they dont put shovels in the ground for recognition, THEN design it :lol:. But anyways, The opening could happen between 2011 and 2014. Somewhere in that three year period, which starts 4 years from now.

York U will continue to get bigger, and putting the curent 65? thousand students on buses is hard enough already, so why not build a subway that can handle more than that?

There is certain justification for building this extension. As is, most of the YRT buses that connect with the TTC go to Finch station. By building this line right into the heart of York, at least half of those buses would be switched to Vaughn Corperate. This would benefit in the way of reducing the crowds on the Yonge subway that come from York, AND this would also decrease passenger traffic through Finch station, perhaps allowing for short turning at both ends of the line. This would then allow for ATO to be done (the 90 sec headways), without major construction at the terminal stations.

I guess you don't really have a map, if you did you would see that only 1 YRT route that goes to Finch Station goes anywhere near the routing of the Spadina extension so only a handful of YRT buses (namely those on route 77) that currently go to Finch can be switched to a different routing.

I guess you don't really have a map, if you did you would see that only 1 YRT route that goes to Finch Station goes anywhere near the routing of the Spadina extension so only a handful of YRT buses (namely those on route 77) that currently go to Finch can be switched to a different routing.

I do actually have a map... I just didnt look at it <_<. I have now, and I realize ur right, BUT other routes could realigned because the new extension would be closer to some routes than the distant Finch station. But I suppose that would be a problem, which is where Viva ROW comes in.

Im not sure about this, but is Viva Blue the only route that is slated for ROW. If it is... that sucks... But if other viva routes were given ROW, they could be used as arteries to direct crowds from local routes to the extension, instead of Finch. Viva Purple/Orgene already do this, but are not on ROW, so they wouldn't be as good as if they had ROW.

Are there any summer classes at York U? The reason why I'm asking this is because if there aren't them ridership on the line in the summer will most likely drop. I'm still trying to figure out how the TTC & YRT will handle fare zone stuff.

Are there any summer classes at York U? The reason why I'm asking this is because if there aren't them ridership on the line in the summer will most likely drop. I'm still trying to figure out how the TTC & YRT will handle fare zone stuff.

Yes, there are summer classes, but enrollment is far less than during the traditional school year.

As for the fare zones, here's what I would like to see once the fare card is operational:

The portion of the subway between Vaughan Corp. Centre and York University will be considered a transition fare zone. YRT riders will scan their fare cards when they enter the subway, and the computer will deduct YRT fare plus the zone upgrade (whatever it ends up being). When they leave (within the transition zone), they will scan out and the computer will see that they are from York Region and refund the zone upgrade cost. TTC riders won't have to scan out, but if they do, the computer will recognize them too.

That's my 2 cents anyway.

(Begin random thoughts)

Oh no! The TTC gauge madness invades York Region! <_< More jobs for Bombardier! :huh:

This extension will render the entire 196A route meaningless. We'll see the return of 84E Sheppard West Express taking the place of the 196B part between Downsview and Sheppard.

If ridership at York drops, either have a few runs short turn at Downsview, or skip the York U stop, or just stop, open door, chime, close door, and take off, in and out in 30 seconds. :lol:

(End random thoughts)

(Begin random thoughts)

Oh no! The TTC gauge madness invades York Region! <_<More jobs for Bombardier! :huh:

This extension will render the entire 196A route meaningless. We'll see the return of 84E Sheppard West Express taking the place of the 196B part between Downsview and Sheppard.

If ridership at York drops, either have a few runs short turn at Downsview, or skip the York U stop, or just stop, open door, chime, close door, and take off, in and out in 30 seconds. :lol:

(End random thoughts)

probabaly won't be that easy for bombardier next time when orders come along since next time it will be a tendered :P....oh and AHHHHHHHHHH TTC GAUGE IN YORK!!!!!!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! :P

A little early to start throwing that idea around right now, isn't it?

Yes but what if York doesnt want to fund service? so what TTC gets stuck with funding Vaughan subway service? thats why is should be worked out before its built

So how does the TTC York BRT to Downsview stand than if they subway does pass in Federal budget and gets built?

Yes but what if York doesnt want to fund service? so what TTC gets stuck with funding Vaughan subway service? thats why is should be worked out before its built

So how does the TTC York BRT to Downsview stand than if they subway does pass in Federal budget and gets built?

viva will be using the BRT corridor as construction is being built. once it is finished and the steeles west station is opened then viva services will be terminating there

(Begin random thoughts)

Oh no! The TTC gauge madness invades York Region! <_< More jobs for Bombardier! :huh:

(End random thoughts)

If they're going to short turn trains at Downsview, they would have to build a pocket track north of the station like at St. Clair West (for AM rush). There would most likely be scheduling problems if they use the crossover south of the station.