Jump to content
Mr. Engineer

Spadina Subway Extension

Recommended Posts

The pause shouldn't be noticeable. It should be as simple as a push of a bottom. Eventually the Crosstown will have manual/ATO changeover at Laird Station. When Eglinton is extended westward, another change over would be at Jane or Scarlett depending on how far west the grade separation goes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Transit geek said:

I wonder if the TTC's Spadina extension is in the same situation: if it does not have fixed-block signalling installed, and the signal upgrades on the rest of the line has not been completed yet, necessitating trains to pause at some station for longer than normal to make the switch between wayside signals and CBTC before continuing on? From this GIF from The Globe and Mail, it seems like the changeover would take place at Dupont for the time being.

transitmap-gif-1.gif

ATC/ATO goes live from Dupont to Yorkdale this fall, tentatively in October. When the extension to VMC opens in December, it too will run only with ATC/ATO.

 

The switchover will take literally a couple of seconds - you likely won't notice it considering all of the other things that happen at a stop.

 

Dan

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Global News, BlogTO and 24 Hours (Sept. 7 issue, page 6) are reporting as of the recent TTC Board meeting that the opening date for the extension to Vaughan will open December 17.  The CEO's Report (page 15) states that Finch West is the last station to be completed and will be completed at the end of September.

 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Gil said:

Global News, BlogTO and 24 Hours (Sept. 7 issue, page 6) are reporting as of the recent TTC Board meeting that the opening date for the extension to Vaughan will open December 17.  The CEO's Report (page 15) states that Finch West is the last station to be completed and will be completed at the end of September.

 

Dec 17 is the start of the holiday board period.

School doesn't end till Dec 22 through so kids can ride it. Let's hope they don't forget to schedule in the school runs and have a disaster like last time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sept 16
Had a look a York Station and a hour of work a best to remove the fencing from both entrance and the west side on Monday. Everything is wide open to the public now.

Finch Station
Repeat after me:
Who Said Finch Will Be Finish This Month?? Who Said Finch Will Be Finish This Month??

The Finch Station will not be completed by the end of Sept. The Finch Station will not be finish by the end of Sept.

The Finch Station will be completed by the end of Nov. The Finch Station will be completed by the end of Nov.

There will be no open house for the station. There will be no open house for the station.

The Finch Parking Lot Will be finish By Summer 2018. The Finch Parking Lot Will be finish By Summer 2018.

The last time I visited the station 6 month ago, it was going to be tight to get it completed as plan then. Going by the station for the Open House of the 2 station, didn't look like much had change from my last visit.

Flashing and the exterior will not be finish this month and a lot of interior work to be done from what I could see. Now the curbs have been pour for the station and driveway, concrete can be pour for the bus bays and the loop. The east-west road will be pave from what I saw.

The same contractor still doing the work with Garrison Construction doing Keele St on both side of Finch.

Photos to follow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Out of curiosity, isn't the YRT/GO terminals for Highway 407 and Vaughan Corporate Ctr. Stn. be located outside the fare paid area? Its the same case for YRT loading inside Don Mills Stn.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Antarctica said:

Out of curiosity, isn't the YRT/GO terminals for Highway 407 and Vaughan Corporate Ctr. Stn. be located outside the fare paid area? Its the same case for YRT loading inside Don Mills Stn.

There's not TTC bus terminal there. Riders will have to exit through fare gates before boarding YRT/GO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Antarctica said:

Out of curiosity, isn't the YRT/GO terminals for Highway 407 and Vaughan Corporate Ctr. Stn. be located outside the fare paid area? Its the same case for YRT loading inside Don Mills Stn.

My understanding is that the terminals at Vaughan Metropolitan Centre, Highway 407 and the YRT terminal at Pioneer Village Station will be located outside a fare paid area. This means they will have a similar arrangement to Jane or Runnymede stations in the sense that you have to exit through the turnstiles to board the buses in the terminal. Don Mills Station is different from these as it is located within the TTC fare paid area, which is why YRT/Viva buses drop off outside the station.

 

In other subway opening related news, YRT has posted the preliminary final plans for routings once the subway opens. It seems that Viva Purple will continue as is for the time being on weekdays only, servicing York U and Pioneer Village Station. No timeline yet on the York U Shuttle, but I imagine it will start when the Purple is branched between Town Centre and Kennedy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even the GO Station at Downsview Park will be outside fare paid zone. 

Only Finch West and Pioneer Village will have a fare paid zone TTC bus terminal. Pioneer Village will be the only terminal with a huge 14 bay terminal. Finch West only has 6 bays.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any news on when York University GO station will be closed? Perhaps it will be timed to coincide with the opening of Downsview Park Interchange?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 19/09/2017 at 12:39 AM, Xtrazsteve said:

Even the GO Station at Downsview Park will be outside fare paid zone. 

Only Finch West and Pioneer Village will have a fare paid zone TTC bus terminal. Pioneer Village will be the only terminal with a huge 14 bay terminal. Finch West only has 6 bays.

Scarborough Centre is also tied with 14 TTC bays in the system, but overall, 20 bays in one terminal since GO Transit has six bays.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like TTC is doing two emergency exercises, named "Operation Rolling Thunder" at York University, but the name came under fire after it was used during the Vietnam War.
 

Quote

The Toronto Transit Commission is apologizing for naming its two scheduled emergency preparedness exercises on the soon to be opened subway extension after a deadly bombing campaign carried out during the Vietnam War.

In a letter sent to York University Students, the transit agency said they will be conducting an emergency preparedness exercise, named “Rolling Thunder,” in the York University station on Oct. 25 in advance of the opening of the Line 1 extension in December.

Students immediately raised concerns about the name of the operation being offensive for it was also used as a code name for an American aerial bombing operation in North Vietnam from 1965 to 1968.

“The TTC apologizes unreservedly for this name and the negative connotations associated with it,” TTC spokesperson Brad Ross said in an email.

He said the exercises will now be referred to only as TYSSE Emergency Exercise #1 and TYSSE Emergency Exercise #2. Both exercises will serve as a test run of track-level emergencies on the new subway infrastructure for TTC and first responders from Toronto and York regions before the Dec. 17 opening.

Students from the Disaster & Emergency Management, Nursing and Kinesiology & Health Science programs will also participate in the simulation.

Following the first test run at York University, a second exercise will also take place at the Highway 407 station on Nov. 22. The exercises will impact transportation on and off campus.

The Toronto-York Spadina Extension sees the addition of six new subway stations on Line 1 that stretches past the Toronto border to the city of Vaughan.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Antarctica said:

Looks like TTC is doing two emergency exercises, named "Operation Rolling Thunder" at York University, but the name came under fire after it was used during the Vietnam War.
 

well of all places to name an emergency exercise after a war op, they had to pick the most left wing anti war school to host it in. Seriously though, they really have nothing more important to worrry about than to complain and whine about a simple name. Its not like its named op sealion or barbarossa. people are so damn sensitive about the smallest thing these days.....

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/20/2017 at 10:16 AM, Transit geek said:

Any news on when York University GO station will be closed? Perhaps it will be timed to coincide with the opening of Downsview Park Interchange?

December 29th.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Forgot to post this earlier

TTC to host open houses at three new Line 1 stations
Saturday afternoon

October 25, 2017

This Sat., Oct. 28, the TTC will host open houses at three of the six new stations on the Line 1 extension to York Region.

From 1-5 p.m., those wishing to get a first look inside the modern new stations can do so at the following locations:

- Pioneer Village Station, 2800 Steeles Ave. West
- Highway 407 Station, 7332 Jane Street
- Vaughan Metropolitan Centre Station, 3150 Highway 7 West

Visitors will be able to tour the stations, meet with the construction teams, chat with staff from PRESTO, York Region Transit, Brampton Transit and TTC about service changes, and visit with other partners including BAI Canada and the City of Vaughan. 

Architects and artists who designed and built the stations will be on hand, including Will Alsop (Pioneer Village station architect), David Pearl (artist for Highway 407 Station) and Paul Raff (artist for Vaughan Metropolitan Centre Station).

At Pioneer Village Station, a barbeque lunch in support of the United Way will be available.

The TTC will operate shuttle service from Sheppard West Station to Pioneer Village Station and back between 12:40 p.m. and 5:15 p.m. 

York Region Transit will operate a free shuttle bus between Pioneer Village, Highway 407 and Vaughan Metropolitan Centre stations.

For those planning to drive, parking is available as follows:
- Pioneer Village Station - 185 Northwest Gate (south side of Steeles Avenue West) and 2800 Steeles Ave. West (north side of Steeles Avenue West).  Free parking will be available in the commuter parking lot accessible from 2800 Steeles Avenue West.
- Vaughan Metropolitan Centre Station - 3150 Highway 7. Free parking is provided by SmartCentres in the parking lots at Home Outfitters at 3200 Hwy 7 and the KPMG building at 100 New Park Place.

There is no parking available at Highway 407 Station. Please use the shuttle bus service from Vaughan Metropolitan Centre or Pioneer Village stations.

Please note that these stations are not yet accessible - elevators and escalators will not be operational during the open houses.

The TYSSE project is jointly funded by the Government of Canada, the Province of Ontario, the City of Toronto and The Regional Municipality of York. The Government of Canada has committed up to $697 million to the project. The Province of Ontario has provided $870 million through the Move Ontario Trust. Significant investment income has been earned by the Trust, which helped fund the project. Total City of Toronto funding will amount to $904 million and total Regional Municipality of York funding will amount to $604 million.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Xtrazsteve said:

The bus route service changes relating to TYSSE opening and subway operation times are posted on Steve Mumro's blog: https://stevemunro.ca/2017/10/25/ttc-service-changes-effective-sunday-december-17-2017

Keep in mind, the changes are for the holiday season. 

Something is not right at least... They could have at least cut back the 60 STEELES WEST to Pioneer Village Stn and extend the 53 STEELES EAST instead. Perhaps a 97D YONGE short turn shuttle (Finch Stn to Steeles) can offset the loss of 53/60 service on Yonge St. 

My two point five cents.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Antarctica said:

Something is not right at least... They could have at least cut back the 60 STEELES WEST to Pioneer Village Stn and extend the 53 STEELES EAST instead. Perhaps a 97D YONGE short turn shuttle (Finch Stn to Steeles) can offset the loss of 53/60 service on Yonge St. 

My two point five cents.

I don't know if that's you who left that comment there on the blog but do yourself a favour, go to Steeles/Yonge and observe how many would actually transfer between the 53 and 60. Your proposal doesn't reduce the number of buses used at all.

Things to consider:
The 60S to Yonge/Steeles eastbound is a very common displayed sign.
Traffic on Steeles West is considerably worst than Steeles East
The number of buses needed to shuttle everyone over is more than the currently scheduled 60C+60F.
The night running time (showing by the last trip) from Pioneer Village to St George is 32 min oppose to Finch to Bloor which is 25 min. More people are destined to be on the Yonge side too.
Let's assume the 60E express running time between Yonge Street and Pioneer Village Station is assumed to be 20-25 min WITHOUT TRAFFIC IN OFF PEAK (this service doesn't exist). It's about 5 min from Steeles to Finch Station.
Thus the total travel time under the lightest traffic/ridership and most favourable situation from Steeles/Yonge to St George via TYSSE is at 57 min while to Bloor via Yonge Line is 30 min (not counting transfer time).

Good luck convincing TTC to add 20 more buses to Steeles and telling people to double their commute. That 97D shuttle bus is a terrible idea when everyone from the 53 is going to hop off to get on it. It's simply a waste of time waiting for people to board.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Xtrazsteve said:

I don't know if that's you who left that comment there on the blog but do yourself a favour, go to Steeles/Yonge and observe how many would actually transfer between the 53 and 60. Your proposal doesn't reduce the number of buses used at all.

Things to consider:
The 60S to Yonge/Steeles eastbound is a very common displayed sign.
Traffic on Steeles West is considerably worst than Steeles East
The number of buses needed to shuttle everyone over is more than the currently scheduled 60C+60F.
The night running time (showing by the last trip) from Pioneer Village to St George is 32 min oppose to Finch to Bloor which is 25 min. More people are destined to be on the Yonge side too.
Let's assume the 60E express running time between Yonge Street and Pioneer Village Station is assumed to be 20-25 min WITHOUT TRAFFIC IN OFF PEAK (this service doesn't exist). It's about 5 min from Steeles to Finch Station.
Thus the total travel time under the lightest traffic/ridership and most favourable situation from Steeles/Yonge to St George via TYSSE is at 57 min while to Bloor via Yonge Line is 30 min (not counting transfer time).

Good luck convincing TTC to add 20 more buses to Steeles and telling people to double their commute. That 97D shuttle bus is a terrible idea when everyone from the 53 is going to hop off to get on it. It's simply a waste of time waiting for people to board.

I also forgot to mention that the 60F and 53E/F could have been merged into the STEELES ROCKET running from Pioneer Village in the first place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Antarctica said:

I also forgot to mention that the 60F and 53E/F could have been merged into the STEELES ROCKET running from Pioneer Village in the first place.

Yes but it needs to carry all the extra riders if you force them into the TYSSE. Otherwise you'll have twice as many riders on the route. The Steeles Rocket has been on many planning maps but will not become reality till The Yonge extension is built. 

Getting downtown from Steeles is already bad enough, we don't need to make it worst.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Antarctica said:

Something is not right at least... They could have at least cut back the 60 STEELES WEST to Pioneer Village Stn and extend the 53 STEELES EAST instead. Perhaps a 97D YONGE short turn shuttle (Finch Stn to Steeles) can offset the loss of 53/60 service on Yonge St. 

My two point five cents.

Why do you think that would make things better, exactly?

 

Dan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×