Spadina Subway Extension

Mr. Engineer

I was watching CP24 today, and they said a little thing about Premier McGuinty and Harper announcing federal funding for the extension. Shovels could go in the ground as early as this summer. The announcement is supposed to be sometime next week.

Any insight or comments?

I for one support the extension as a way to divert many of the YRT buses (77) from going all the way to Yonge and reducing crowding. TTC should also look at other subway construction. I watched 'THE MAYOR' today, and Miller said that if the province had not sold the 407, the money could have built another subway by now. That should be a sign as to what the provs and the feds should be doing right about now, especially since the provincial elections are coming up, and Harper is gearing toward ANOTHER federal election. The 407 is still a major issue.

$697M seals subway deal

Harper and McGuinty to announce federal funding next week for long-awaited extension of Spadina line into York Region

Mar 03, 2007 04:40 AM

Bruce Campion-Smith

OTTAWA BUREAU

OTTAWA–The final piece of the puzzle is in place to build the first-ever subway line beyond the border of Toronto into York Region, with a stop at York University, the Star has learned.

Prime Minister Stephen Harper and Premier Dalton McGuinty will announce next week that the federal government will pump $697 million into the plan to extend the Spadina subway from Downsview station. The province and the municipalities of Toronto and York have already committed money.

As well, the federal government will announce funding for:

# A Mississauga transitway, a bus-only road along Highway 403 and Eastgate Parkway from Burnhamthorpe Rd. to Eglinton Ave. E.

# Brampton's $280-million Acceleride project, meant to speed bus service. Ontario has already committed $95 million for the improvements.

# An expansion of York Region's Viva bus system. York Region officials want to get buses on to dedicated lanes.

# The widening of Highway 7, in the amount of $55 million.

# An environmental assessment to extend Highway 407 eastward to link up with Highway 401. This would go through federal Finance Minister Jim Flaherty's Whitby-Oshawa riding.

# A $5 million study of rapid transit in Durham.

The announcement comes with both the federal and provincial governments attempting to prove they are serious about protecting the environment. More public transit means fewer cars on the road and reduced greenhouse gas emissions.

It comes with the possibility of a federal election this spring, and winning Ontario seats is a must for Harper to win a majority government. On March 19, the federal budget will likely have a lot of goodies for Quebec, and the Tories wanted to make a big splash in advance in Ontario.

McGuinty faces re-election Oct. 10.

Once contributions from Ontario and the various municipalities are factored in, the projects represent a $3.2-billion investment to help GTA commuters get around.

In December, Flaherty declared, "public transit generally is significant ... and environmentally important."

At the heart of the announcement is the $2-billion extension of the TTC's University-Spadina subway line to York University and into York Region to help cope with population growth north of Toronto.

About six kilometres of the 8.6-kilometre line will be in Toronto. A "preferred alignment" on the TTC website shows stations at Sheppard West, Finch West, York University, Steeles West in Toronto and Highway 407 and Vaughan Centre in York Region.

There has been a demand for years to make York University more accessible for its 65,000 students and staff.

The provincial government has already set aside $670 million for its one-third share of the huge project. Toronto and York Region last September set aside long-standing differences and agreed on a deal to split their $670-million share of construction work.

Despite active lobbying by the province and municipal officials, the federal contribution has been the hold-up, until now.

Now, thanks to this announcement, workers could break ground as early as this summer on the 8.6-kilometre extension from Downsview station, through the York campus and across Steeles Ave. to the Vaughan town centre.

The negotiations around the subway funding date back months with Flaherty and his Ontario counterpart, Greg Sorbara, frequently discussing the province's demand for additional transit cash. The extension goes through Sorbara's Vaughan-King-Aurora riding.

"We're going to move ahead on that project and I believe that at the right time the federal government will be a partner. There is a huge political risk for them if they're not," Sorbara said after one of their meetings last December. Speculation has been rampant for weeks that an announcement was near but it was only on Thursday that the federal cabinet gave the green light for the spending, sources say.

News of the announcement comes as big city mayors, including Toronto Mayor David Miller, gather in Montreal tomorrow and Monday to discuss plans for a national transit strategy.

With files from Allan Woods

Original Article

They only mentioned the extension on CP24 today, so thanks for the article. Its nice to know that the feds are finnally waking up to the curent situation when it comes to transit and the environment. I just hope that something more along the lines of permanent transit funding will come of this.

Does anyone have the link for the TTC's Spadina Extension website. Its not on the TTC homepage anymore.

They only mentioned the extension on CP24 today, so thanks for the article. Its nice to know that the feds are finnally waking up to the curent situation when it comes to transit and the environment. I just hope that something more along the lines of permanent transit funding will come of this.

Lets hope this stands tho , cause of the up coming Provincial and Federal elections that

will be coming up in the next year of so, cause we all know Harper will not last more than a year

Lets hope this stands tho , cause of the up coming Provincial and Federal elections that

will be coming up in the next year of so, cause we all know Harper will not last more than a year

Thats why i say their should be stable funding for transit. This way, even if there wer an election, the new government will still have to pay, hopefully :lol:. These one time offers arent doing it, and if the feds to attempt another election, we all know that the voters will shove this down their throats. If not... I propose a boycot of the next election. :lol::P. But seriously. The governments need to start listening to the wants of their voters or... they wont have any voters. Ya, the gov't acknowledges that voter turnout is low, but thats only becasue the gov't sucks, and doesnt listen to their voters. If ur not gonna listen to us, why are we going to vote? Right?

Thats why i say their should be stable funding for transit. This way, even if there wer an election, the new government will still have to pay, hopefully :lol:. These one time offers arent doing it, and if the feds to attempt another election, we all know that the voters will shove this down their throats. If not... I propose a boycot of the next election. :lol::P. But seriously. The governments need to start listening to the wants of their voters or... they wont have any voters. Ya, the gov't acknowledges that voter turnout is low, but thats only becasue the gov't sucks, and doesnt listen to their voters. If ur not gonna listen to us, why are we going to vote? Right?

Well if it does stand about time cause this has been in the air now for the past 15-20 years on and off

Great to hear about the funding. It's pretty obvious that this is probably a stunt to attract votes in the GTA. This should really beneift a number of people. Now all that we need here in Waterloo Region if funding for out own rapid transit project. The EA is set to finish next year!

Great to hear about the funding. It's pretty obvious that this is probably a stunt to attract votes in the GTA. This should really beneift a number of people. Now all that we need here in Waterloo Region if funding for out own rapid transit project. The EA is set to finish next year!

Thats more like this is sounding like and I will not believe anything until

the 1st shovel is in the ground and they start constuction of the line

Thats more like this is sounding like and I will not believe anything until

the 1st shovel is in the ground and they start constuction of the line

We'll know for sure when / if the budget passes. If not, no money and an election. I'm thinking that even if the budget is defeated and an election called, the bar has already been set.

We'll know for sure when / if the budget passes. If not, no money and an election. I'm thinking that even if the budget is defeated and an election called, the bar has already been set.

well if the budget is defeated this is gonna be dead , well dead for now but not for ever,

The subway will get build but the question has always been WHEN lol

This is why the Canadian gov'ts of present, and future need to become smarter. First, Ontario downloads on TO, then they sell the 407, of all things :lol: . Then Canada becomes the only G8 country without a transit plan. No wonder Spain or something like that is slated to replace Canada at G8. We plainly suck. I just hope that Harper can see this, becasue in 2 years, when Im old enough to be a voter... I WILL shove this down his throat.... if he's around that long :lol: . Another thing our gov'ts should stop doing is holding election after election.

This probably is a stunt to attract GTA votes, but it will take a heck of a lot more than this to attract more GTA votes. Something like a National Transit fund, and buying the 407 back from which ever Mexican company owns it :lol::P. Why does MEXICO own the 407!!! As I said above, if we had kept the thing, we could have built a subway by now. Oh the stupidity of our gov'ts :lol: . And they complain about lack of funds. I would even take a step further, and toll ALL the 400-series, since so many people use the things, especially the 401. Why has it taken so long for a propostiton like this to surface. They've been doing it in the US for God knows how long, and I can't believe that Canada, the USs direct neighbore hasnt caught on yet.

And when the announcement is made for the extension, I hope the feds just hand over one big check with 697 million writen on it. That way, even if the budget is defeated, TTC would still have their money.... As if that will ever happen...

Why does MEXICO own the 407!!! As I said above, if we had kept the thing, we could have built a subway by now.

From their web site, 407 ETR is owned by a consortium comprised of Cintra Concesiones de Infraestructuras de Transporte, Macquarie Infrastructure Group and SNC-Lavalin.

Hardly a case of "Mexico" owning. Yes, there is one with a Spanish name, but these are all publicly-owned companies meaning that their ownership is spread worldwide.

And I doubt that keeping the thing would have allowed us to build a subway. Selling it and NOT using the cash to provide $200 tax refunds (which is what the Conservatives did) might have allowed us to build the subway.

But people are easily bribed with their own money these days.

Also, regarding "handing over a cheque" - the province has put their money into a trust fund, so presumably the deal would be for the feds to do the same. But we'll have to wait for the details next week when the official announcements are made.

From their web site, 407 ETR is owned by a consortium comprised of Cintra Concesiones de Infraestructuras de Transporte, Macquarie Infrastructure Group and SNC-Lavalin.

Hardly a case of "Mexico" owning. Yes, there is one with a Spanish name, but these are all publicly-owned companies meaning that their ownership is spread worldwide.

And I doubt that keeping the thing would have allowed us to build a subway. Selling it and NOT using the cash to provide $200 tax refunds (which is what the Conservatives did) might have allowed us to build the subway.

But people are easily bribed with their own money these days.

I remember hearing that the company that owns the 407 is based out of Australia.

Not selling (or rather, the proper term is leasing) the 407, in the days of budget cuts thanks to NDP overspending, probably would have resulted in the highway never being built to begin with. It was a much needed relief route, and preforms that job pretty damn well.

The general public complains about the tolls, but then when i'm sitting in bumper to bumper traffic on the 407 near the 427, I realise the highway would just be another gridlock filled artery going nowhere with lower tolls, serving no use whatsoever.

Not selling (or rather, the proper term is leasing) the 407, in the days of budget cuts thanks to NDP overspending, probably would have resulted in the highway never being built to begin with. It was a much needed relief route, and preforms that job pretty damn well.

Let's get our history right. The highway opened in 1997 and was leased out in 1999. Given this timing, it's clear that the decision to lease it had nothing to do with getting it built. It was a decision by the Mike Harris Progressive Conservatives to get a quick influx of cash to use to finance tax refund cheques.

The Highway has been privately operated since 1997, privatley owned since 1999. The province spent around $1.2 Billion, and by selling it for $3.4 billion, they almost doubled their investment. That's smart buisness sense.

My interest was only in correcting the statement that it wouldn't have been built without the lease. I'm not arguing the pros and cons of whether it should have been leased, or what the profitability of doing so was, in a thread entitled "Spadina Extension"...

I remember hearing that the company that owns the 407 is based out of Australia.

Macquarie Infrastructure Group is based out of Australia, the other owners are based out of Spain (Cintra Concesiones de Infraestructuras de Transporte) and Canada (SNC-Lavalin).

I'm all for a subway extension into Vaughan (when there's a Vaughan to go to) but honestly, what happened to the Transit Network.

I know a lot of York U students who will be orgasmic over the extension, but honestly, what about the rest of the city?

How does this affect the RT extension (Scarb. is a transit wasteland) and bus ROWs and other High-Priority Transit Corridors that had been looked at.

We don't need four more stops; we need a sustainable network of transit options.

I'm all for a subway extension into Vaughan (when there's a Vaughan to go to) but honestly, what happened to the Transit Network.

I know a lot of York U students who will be orgasmic over the extension, but honestly, what about the rest of the city?

How does this affect the RT extension (Scarb. is a transit wasteland) and bus ROWs and other High-Priority Transit Corridors that had been looked at.

We don't need four more stops; we need a sustainable network of transit options.

Most of the students that go to York U would most likely be finished there education by the time the extension is opened. If I'm not wrong I think I read somewhere that if construction starts this year it would be finished in 2013. Also, on CP24 I heard Vaughan whats to start construction this summer.

This is why the Canadian gov'ts of present, and future need to become smarter. First, Ontario downloads on TO, then they sell the 407, of all things :lol: . Then Canada becomes the only G8 country without a transit plan. No wonder Spain or something like that is slated to replace Canada at G8. We plainly suck. I just hope that Harper can see this, becasue in 2 years, when Im old enough to be a voter... I WILL shove this down his throat.... if he's around that long :lol: . Another thing our gov'ts should stop doing is holding election after election.

This probably is a stunt to attract GTA votes, but it will take a heck of a lot more than this to attract more GTA votes. Something like a National Transit fund, and buying the 407 back from which ever Mexican company owns it :lol::P. Why does MEXICO own the 407!!! As I said above, if we had kept the thing, we could have built a subway by now. Oh the stupidity of our gov'ts :lol: . And they complain about lack of funds. I would even take a step further, and toll ALL the 400-series, since so many people use the things, especially the 401. Why has it taken so long for a propostiton like this to surface. They've been doing it in the US for God knows how long, and I can't believe that Canada, the USs direct neighbore hasnt caught on yet.

And when the announcement is made for the extension, I hope the feds just hand over one big check with 697 million writen on it. That way, even if the budget is defeated, TTC would still have their money.... As if that will ever happen...

Spain's set to replace us? I agree that this is a stunt by the government. Hopefully some funding will come to the project, but I doubt that the budget will pass.