Spadina Subway Extension

Mr. Engineer

2 hours ago, skyfirenet said:

So who plans to be on the first end-to-end train from Finch or VMC?

Sure wouldn't be me. I will do the new section only.

Here a quick tour from the new bus terminal to the out side of the subway station. Its not 100%, but good enough to go into service. The Mayor and Andy where there as will with Andy saying good bye to his employees.

Interestingly the unload bus bay is located across from the u-turn roadway. Since the elimination of the additional bus platforms at Pape Station, there isn't any in the system.

I expect Finch West is going to be a major mess on Monday morning. Buses load at 3 separate locations with the 41A/41E/107 being on street (like the 29 at Dufferin Station) while the 36/199 loads in fare paid zone. There is significant changes to all the bus network to add to that mess. Meanwhile, the 36B eastbound would see a significant service reduction with less and smaller buses. Let's see if the dispatcher throws artics on the the 36B (which isn't scheduled them).

I was able for what every reason, to shoot a video between stations, as well arriving at VMC, since the driver door was open. Seeing a train only about 100 feet in front of us at VMC shows how close trains can get using ATO.

I don't know about others, but I found the trains traveling at a higher speed once you left Sheppard W station as well between the others one. Headway was a real problem all the time I was there. Trains were 1-12 minutes apart going north, showing 3 trains time at the same time. Only showing 1 train time going south. Slow going southbound around Eglinton. Most train after I arrived at VMC were close to peak load going both ways.

VMC YRT Bus Terminal, YRT BRT Station, 407, Finch and YRT Pioneer Bus Terminal are far from being finish. I see crappy Bondfield is doing VMC Bus terminal and a reason its late along with Finch. No idea who doing the others.

Some real nice stations, but how well will they stand up over time will be known in 20 years or more. A few are so so. don't recall 407 platform being cold.

From what I could see of 407 parking lots, looks like room to expand and YRT Pioneer Village Lots are twice as big as 407.

It became more of a zoo later in the day with VMC the worse at the beginning of the day and up to the time I left.

Shot 11 videos and 311 photos for 3 stations today.

Escalators not working on day was not a good sign as well no elevators in place at other location. "HUGE" mistake not having 2 elevators vs the current One. 

407 looks like the only new station with a washroom. Going to be a long time to see all the bus bays in service at 407.

• Like 2

VMC also has public washrooms; long lineups for both mens and womens today. Trains did appear to be moving quite fast between stations. While I was exploring headways didn't appear to be an issue; they were fairly regular. Ride was smooth, though the tunnel noise is quite loud even compared to other bored tunnels.

Not a big fan of the concrete finishing on the opposite-platform walls; cracks and water damage were visible already, and a lot of patching has apparently been done ie) at York U in particular. Transfer machines were very finicky today too.

3 hours ago, drum118 said:

I don't know about others, but I found the trains traveling at a higher speed once you left Sheppard W station as well between the others one. Headway was a real problem all the time I was there. Trains were 1-12 minutes apart going north, showing 3 trains time at the same time. Only showing 1 train time going south. Slow going southbound around Eglinton. Most train after I arrived at VMC were close to peak load going both ways.

Something to do with CBTC/ATO. Today I found out that trains were switching between the two in the tunnel south of Sheppard West, instead of at St. George as my impression from reading the previous threads suggest. The changeover took only about 30 seconds each way, though I'd only wish this would happen at Sheppard West instead to maximize dwell times, such as in where else other than Singapore: 

24 minutes ago, Transit geek said:

Something to do with CBTC/ATO. Today I found out that trains were switching between the two in the tunnel south of Sheppard West, instead of at St. George as my impression from reading the previous threads suggest. The changeover took only about 30 seconds each way, though I'd only wish this would happen at Sheppard West instead to maximize dwell times, such as in where else other than Singapore: 

That's just where the engineers decided to put the migration point. It's going to be irrelevant fairly soon. The nice thing with putting it there is that the trains can enter Sheppard West NB at 59km/h, instead of 35 or much less in the case of a lot of operators.

Phase 1 was from Dupont to Yorkdale, so you wouldn't be migrating at St. George. They are going to reactivate that section when the activate the section from Yorkdale to Sheppard West including Wilson Yard. Basically you will have the trains switching modes when they are stopped and servicing the northbound Dupont platform, and running CBTC all the way to VMC once they finish the work on the area around Wilson.

Just now, Shaun said:

Are there three tail tracks at Vaughan? It looks like that from the pictures on the internet. 

So where do we go from here? We need to look at expanding finch to highway 7, but is there still a plan to create a closed loop? 

Yes, tail tracks at Vaughan. Hopefully they will choose to build some sort of downtown relief line before the extend the Yonge side further.

3 hours ago, 63 Ossington said:

VMC also has public washrooms; long lineups for both mens and womens today. Trains did appear to be moving quite fast between stations. While I was exploring headways didn't appear to be an issue; they were fairly regular. Ride was smooth, though the tunnel noise is quite loud even compared to other bored tunnels.

Not a big fan of the concrete finishing on the opposite-platform walls; cracks and water damage were visible already, and a lot of patching has apparently been done ie) at York U in particular. Transfer machines were very finicky today too.

Yes, lots of noise. Not impressed with some of the work they did in there. Lost of tunnel liners missing fairly big chunks of concrete. I counted more than 20 one way. I can't tell if they are from defects in materials when they cast the liners, or if it is damage from installation or transporting them. From what I remember, the Sheppard line seemed to be cosmetically a lot better when first opened.

• Thanks 1

Also the first service delay (from what I can tell reading the delay feed) of the extension was this afternoon at SB Downsview Park, with a male intox passed out in the 5th car with a half full bottle of vodka. EA activated, turned into a medical. The male was eventually helped off the train by special constables.

And with regard to the Presto machines; there are 3; one self serve reloader like those currently in use in the TTC, a new presto card vending machine which only sells preloaded cards (but also accepts cash), and what appears to be a full-service machine which allows reloading and purchasing cards.

Will the full service machines eventually also be the ones selling the "limited-use media" Presto cards, or will there be a 4th machine to be added? Or will they eventually be all replaced with newer "2nd generation" machines as this route seems to be quite popular over the years...? 

Regardless I hope these machines' coin slots have jamming countermeasures (like some sort of internal slot clearing mechanism) to spare them from the same fates as the current token vending machines...

IMG_2458[1].JPG

IMG_2459[1].JPG

IMG_2460[1].JPG

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, 63 Ossington said:

Also the first service delay (from what I can tell reading the delay feed) of the extension was this afternoon at SB Downsview Park, with a male intox passed out in the 5th car with a half full bottle of vodka. EA activated, turned into a medical. The male was eventually helped off the train by special constables.

And with regard to the Presto machines; there are 3; one self serve reloader like those currently in use in the TTC, a new presto card vending machine which only sells preloaded cards (but also accepts cash), and what appears to be a full-service machine which allows reloading and purchasing cards.

Will the full service machines eventually also be the ones selling the "limited-use media" Presto cards, or will there be a 4th machine to be added? Or will they eventually be all replaced with newer "2nd generation" machines as this route seems to be quite popular over the years...? 

Regardless I hope these machines' coin slots have jamming countermeasures (like some sort of internal slot clearing mechanism) to spare them from the same fates as the current token vending machines...

IMG_2458[1].JPG

IMG_2459[1].JPG

IMG_2460[1].JPG

The full-service machine you have pictured was broken. It would freeze up once you put the card in the slot. The presto agent that was beside it was laughing when I told him about it.

On 2017-12-16 at 1:57 AM, 63 Ossington said:

I don't think it has been discussed here yet, but when there is a service suspension along the extension, which TA will be providing shuttles?

If YRT is tasked with shuttles for suspensions along the Vaughan portion, will they also provide shuttle service into Toronto if the suspension crosses into Toronto (ie; Pioneer Village being the incident station)?

Or will the TTC be the sole provider of all shuttles regardless of where the suspension is?

On 2017-12-16 at 2:32 PM, lip said:

YRT will be responsible for providing service from Vaughan to Pioneer Village, while the TTC will have to provide service only up to Pioneer Village.

If you went to the open house a couple months ago, think of if operating just like that.

True TTC will be responsible for providing emergency shuttles. YRT might assist north of Pioneer Village Stn. But it is a TTC service thus a TTC responsibility.

Took the photos at Wilson Division today. 

0C948786-8B8F-4697-B226-8A31347BD8F2.jpeg

2839BF41-7A38-45C0-BB09-054A620ABE13.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

40 minutes ago, STC125 said:

True TTC will be responsible for providing emergency shuttles. YRT might assist north of Pioneer Village Stn. But it is a TTC service thus a TTC responsibility.

Took the photos at Wilson Division today. 

0C948786-8B8F-4697-B226-8A31347BD8F2.jpeg

2839BF41-7A38-45C0-BB09-054A620ABE13.jpeg

Interesting, that's changed from the last word I heard on this subject but i'm sure YRT would assist if the delay was significant.

As a customer I would just take a cab, or some ride-sharing platform if I were headed northbound and there was was a delay affecting stations north of Sheppard West as that shuttle would take forever.

11 minutes ago, TechnicaProductions said:

What even causes that sound anyway? 

I believe that would be the result of minuscule grooves that are perpendicular to the track direction; perhaps the result of a rail grinder. Its similar to some other tracks in the GTA, take the GOT Milton line. You can hear that high pitched sound coming from the track as a result of the wheels going over those grooves. 

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Shaun said:

Are there three tail tracks at Vaughan? It looks like that from the pictures on the internet. 

So where do we go from here? We need to look at expanding finch to highway 7, but is there still a plan to create a closed loop? 

There's three tail tracks but only two are equipped for use. It's the same setup that Downsview had before they started the extension work (the middle tail is unused).

14 hours ago, Archer said:

There's three tail tracks but only two are equipped for use. It's the same setup that Downsview had before they started the extension work (the middle tail is unused).

Oh wow, I hadn't noticed that Shaun was asking if there were *3* tail tracks at Vaughan, I just saw that he was asking *if* there were tail tracks there. Sorry about that.

This is one oddball schedule for the 36 FINCH WEST:
http://www.ttc.ca/Routes/36/Westbound.jsp

Although there is already 36A, 36B, 36D, 36F, and 36J branches, there is a 36B (Finch Stn-Finch West Stn) branch scheduled as "36K" rush hours, midday, early evening and weekend daytime periods while four trips labeled "36W" exists to Weston Road as short turns on weekdays as well as 36J (Finch Stn-Humberwood) trips labelled as "36R" to Arrow Road during evening hours.