TTC Transit Operator Info Session - Nov 28

treich85

Hello everyone. I am new to this forum and am seeking any kind of assistance as to what I can expect during the TTC Transit Operator Information Session on Nov 28th.

I know it says that no preparation is required, but I am wondering what type of questions will be on the aptitude test. 

Only reason I ask is because some of the sample math questions on the e-mail had me stumped.  Its been quite some time since I had done these math word problems. Is there any study material/books that anyone can recommend? 

Any and all help is truly and greatly appreciated.

1 hour ago, treich85 said:

Hello everyone. I am new to this forum and am seeking any kind of assistance as to what I can expect during the TTC Transit Operator Information Session on Nov 28th.

I know it says that no preparation is required, but I am wondering what type of questions will be on the aptitude test. 

Only reason I ask is because some of the sample math questions on the e-mail had me stumped.  Its been quite some time since I had done these math word problems. Is there any study material/books that anyone can recommend? 

Any and all help is truly and greatly appreciated.

I am currently not applying at all for the TTC, so you probably can send me these. What questions did they give you? I can help you. 

In terms of the test, maybe it will be like the Brampton Transit MAP test? There is a whole topic about that in the folder Transit Employment Discussion. Come to think of it, this topic should probably be moved there too. 

Good luck to you, and I hope you can pass this test. I have always wanted to be a transit operator (weird dreams, I know), so i can honestly say good luck! 

The sample questions were in the email along with my confirmation as being picked as a candidate. the questions are:

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

1. Look at the row of numbers below. What number should come next?

8 4 2 1 1/2 1/4 ?

2. PRESENT/RESERVE, Do these words:

1. have similar meanings; 2. have contradictory meaning; 3 mean neither the same nor opposite?

3. A train travels 20 feet in 1/5 second. At this same speed, how many feet will it travel in 
three seconds?

4. A store owner bought 200 pens and sold them for $2.00 each. She made $40 profit after she sold them all. How much did each pen cost?

5. Assume the first two statements are true.

1. Tom greeted Beth.
  2. Beth greeted Dawn
  3. Tom did not greet Dawn

If statement 3 is true then write (T) as your answer. If it is false then write (F) as your answer.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

they provide the answers at the bottom of the e-mail, but questions 3 & 4 are the ones that had me trying to remember grade school math. Again, it's been a while.

thank you for your help!

18 minutes ago, treich85 said:

The sample questions were in the email along with my confirmation as being picked as a candidate. the questions are:

1. Tom greeted Beth.
  2. Beth greeted Dawn

If statement 3 is true then write (T) as your answer. If it is false then write (F) as your answer.

This one would have me writing a big "NEITHER". It's poorly worded. We have no idea if Tom did or did not greet Dawn.

This is a lousy variation on something like this:

1. All humans have two eyes and a mouth.
  2. Mick has two eyes and a mouth.
  3. Therefore Mick is a human.

3 is always false.

But if 3 is worded "Mick is a human", the it could be either true or false.

8 hours ago, treich85 said:

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

1. Look at the row of numbers below. What number should come next?

8 4 2 1 1/2 1/4 ?

2. PRESENT/RESERVE, Do these words:

1. have similar meanings; 2. have contradictory meaning; 3 mean neither the same nor opposite?

3. A train travels 20 feet in 1/5 second. At this same speed, how many feet will it travel in 
three seconds?

4. A store owner bought 200 pens and sold them for $2.00 each. She made $40 profit after she sold them all. How much did each pen cost?

1. Tom greeted Beth.
  2. Beth greeted Dawn

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

they provide the answers at the bottom of the e-mail, but questions 3 & 4 are the ones that had me trying to remember grade school math. Again, it's been a while.

thank you for your help!

I'll work through the sample questions in full and I'll break down figuring out the answers so hopefully it'll help you figure out the results to the questions on the actual test:

Question 1)  Each number in the progression is half the number that came before it so the next one after 1/4 would be 1/8.

Question 2)  Present and Reserve have neither similar nor opposite meanings.  And with the lack of context, we don't know if "present" is intended to mean a gift or the tense (past, present, future) etc. so the question's poorly designed.

Question 3)  The train travels (20 feet in 1/5 of a second) * 5 to clear the fraction and the train travels 100 feet in a full second.  Multiply that by the 3 seconds given and the train's gone 300 feet.  Or , if you want to visualize it, the train covered 3/5 of a standard 500 foot TTC subway platform in the three seconds.

Question 4)  200 pens * $2 each sale price = $400 revenue.  $400 - $40 profit = $360 total expense for the pens.  $360 total cost of the pens / 200 pens = $1.80 unit cost per pen for the store owner to buy them.

Question 5)  Tom greeted Beth.  Beth greeted Dawn.  Neither statement has Tom greeting Dawn, and there's one degree of separation through Beth, so the answer's false.  I agree, it's poorly worded.

Hopefully this helps.  Let us know how it goes.

1 hour ago, Benton Harper said:

Providing the answers seems kinda out of order to me, defeats the test and it's purpose...

Those were the sample questions.  They're out there so it's open season to discuss them as far as those are concerned, but they'd keep the actual test under wraps with a confidentiality agreement that the applicants would have to consent to before writing it.  The sample questions won't appear on the real test for that reason; they'd be total giveaways if people could prepare for those specific ones in advance.  It is (or was - things may have changed between then and now) the same with the Canadian Forces Aptitude Test as well.

The place I work at now used to have multiple tiers of exams until several years ago when they were abolished because the fail rate was getting way too high no matter how the tests got updated.  Millennials and technical exams do not work out well.  But up until the discontinuation, the sample questions for those were out there and the answers were provided as well so that the candidates had an idea for the type of answer they were looking for when they sat down and wrote the exams for real.  The kicker was that in the booklet one of the answers to the sample question was totally wrong (the value and units were both incorrect) and I ended up walking into write the exam even more nervous because I was afraid of not only the exam itself, but the possibility of answering questions correctly but getting marked wrong because their answer template might have had errors in it.  The person administering the test asked me if I had any questions when it was over and I got out the sample test booklet and asked about that possibility, and pointed out the question with the wrong answer.  The guy's eyebrows went up as he looked it over and then looked back at me and he said, "Uh, clearly that's some kind of a mistake..."

Honestly, every place I've worked at that's had employment candidate screening tests has provided sample questions at a minimum and quite often with the reference answers to go with them.  And the sample questions have always been discussed with anybody that could help.  Believe me, they've always been discussed, right up until all the candidates are ushered into the test room to do the real exam.  This is normal and expected behaviour of the job candidates.  I've been around the block on this a few times on both sides of the line of taking tests and asking about the sample questions, and been asked about them by others getting ready to write exams.  It always has been like this, it always will be like this.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

what a difference in the hiring process today from when i was hired by TTC in 1988.

Back then you visited human resources on Bathurst St and filled out an application and deposited it through a slot. Then you waited.

I got a call a few months after submitting an application and asked to come in for an interview. At the interview I was told I had to have a physical done by a doctor the TTC provided.

After the physical I got a call advising me the final step was to go down to the Gray Coach garage on Commissioners and be interviewed by Sidney Palmer, who was the supervisor. If he ok'd me I was in.

Few days later I got a call saying I was being offered a position as furlough driver (seasonal) at Gray Coach lines and that when the busy summer travel season ended at GCL I could transfer to a TTC city division to operate a bus or streetcar. THEIR choice, not mine as to where I'd go and what I'd be operating.

When I started training in April 1988 there were 6 of us in my class. 5 had fathers who worked at TTC.