Transit Tracker - Greater Montréal, Greater Toronto, Sherbrooke and Lévis

FelixINX

Thanks for the comment everyone. I've decided I'll keep it as it is now - color coded by the agency. An option to change the color coding might be added in the future - but is not planned right now due to the technical complexity. By the end of the summer, I hope to release an option to filter by tags which could be useful for some. Filters will also be applied globally, both on the map and table.

On 7/8/2023 at 11:07 PM, eclair14 said:

For the wrapped bus tracking, the idea behind to be community driven is to relief pressure on you so we can manage it, we could also consider that only some trusted persons could add/remove the wrap status via a login to the platform to avoid sabotage

This will be done via tags, and starting through the suggestion form. I still have a few tweaking to do but it should be quick. @MTL66 already has access to the admin panel to manage tags, so I am open to adding more contributors, as long as it is kept up to date.

On 7/8/2023 at 11:31 PM, Frozen Yogurt said:

Also, I thought we had a way to identify electric buses already (the bolt thing). Adding the contour seems like more color overload. For example, what are you going to do with Laurentides? It's gonna be green on green.

This had been temporarily removed for some time, but it's gonna be back with the bus-bolt icon. It used to be hard to manage, but tags now work better.

On a general note, with about ~75 unique visitors, everyone has a different use case for Transit Tracker. Some use it to keep a registry of the latest buses, others to ride a specific bus or even for academic research. I've always tried to make the app as flexible as possible (like choosing agencies, choosing columns), but there is a balance between simplicity and having two many options.  For example, I'll continue to provide as many agencies as I can, since it's really easy and it can be toggled in the settings for those that don't want them.

There is also the question of performance, which should be address in the next update this summer. Data like agencies, links, tags that don't change often will now be cached and realtime data will be loaded more quickly. This should improve the startup performance.

The update is now done, so everything is displayed correctly.

Some (small) improvement to the VIN Database includes: a page for each operator; a menu to navigate between sectors and operators in each page; other small tweaks to make the experience easier.

22 hours ago, MTL66 said:

I am unable to download the data from the tracker. I tried with Firefox, Chrome and Edge and the download just hangs near the end of the download on all 3 browsers.

image.thumb.png.3c6a53d5a5dcd22b80d2e3395fea9bbc.png

A Guelph vehicle managed to send data outside the specification, it's now been patched and the download is working again.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

@FelixINX Feature request from @eclair14. It was posted on the FleetStats thread.

8 hours ago, eclair14 said:

Speaking of Transit Tracker, might have a new feature request, when entering list mode, i wish i could have the option to load the page with only the company and the + sign visible next to it, would help let say i need to go to page 4 to view what i need, i need to scroll all the way down the page to go to page 2, then again to go to 3, again to 4, if the operator are collapsed, i would immediatly see the next page icon at the bottom of the page

• Like 1

@eclair14

This is a great suggestion and something that has been planned for several months. I'm going to implement this using a new "agency" column that can be filtered. This will be part of a larger feature, allowing filters to work on both tables and maps.

To be honest, I haven't had much time to work on Transit Tracker in recent months. But I hope to have more time soon!