TTC Electric Buses Orders and Deployments

Orion VI

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/28/2018 at 10:51 PM, 2044 said:

The TTC has the hybrid batches broken down as follows:

3400-3454: 55 buses (3400 is the pilot bus)

3455-3569: 115 buses

3570-3654: 85 buses

Total: 255 hybrid buses from 2018-2019. In all likelihood, they will all be delivered concurrently.

No 3411 was the pilot bus, 3400 is the bus with the old drivers window. And to show y’all, I took a picture of it on the 133, when it was on it yesterday

08D1C70D-B82A-4F22-92E4-0415FAE4B611.jpeg

7 hours ago, Bus_Medic said:

Did it occur to you that it has the prior incarnation of the driver’s window because it was manufactured first, before the assembly line was modified? That’s what a pilot bus is. The first one manufactured, not the first one in service.

Lucky catch with the photo, after all, recess is only 15 minutes.

Oh my bad, I forgot. Also it was about a few minutes until my school bell rung

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Bus_Medic said:

Lucky catch with the photo, after all, recess is only 15 minutes.

3 hours ago, GTAtransitfan1-Toronto said:

Oh my bad, I forgot. Also it was about a few minutes until my school bell rung

Standards have clearly been slipping.  Back in my day, I used to routinely extend recess well beyond 15 minutes to last the rest of the day to go riding various things and that meant starting out on a TTC electric bus the last time the TTC had electric buses!  If you're not doing that, please, please, please tell me you're at least smoking in the boys room.

2 minutes ago, Wayside Observer said:

Obviously, I've been out of the public system for more than just a few years now.  Is the teachers' lounge still the closest liquor store or has that changed too?

Let's just say there's much less coffee going around, but many more coffee cups

10 hours ago, 110B West Pickering said:

Why is the world ON A TRANSIT FORUM are you (@Imgurdsdownvote4love and @Wayside Observer) taking about all this bullsh*t. Believe it or not, I came here looking for news about these buses, not to hear about what teenagers do in the bathrooms.

Back to topic please.

talk about the bathroom on your own time.

Because this thread is dead, and there's a much more active one in the TTC sightings forum:

2 hours ago, Bus_Medic said:

YEAH! Other members have precious little time to be wasted on human social attributes like humor!

....cuts into their fortnite time.

Absolutely!  Any distraction from the very, very, very serious business being transacted on CPTDB is not to be tolerated.

Oh well, on a more serious note, it is kind of fitting that the first of the electric buses to come to Toronto are Flyers considering how the TTC closed out electric buses the last time with Flyers. And the leased BBCs but those weren't owned by TTC and kept their Edmonton colours the whole time they were here.

What I'm waiting for is once they're carrying passengers, is for one to eventually land on one of the old trolleybus lines I used to use all the time and take a ride on a Sunday or holiday with light traffic to try and do the best apples to apples comparison.  I figure they're going to be dissimilar in terms of riding quality on account of the general differences between high and low floor buses plus there has to be a significant weight difference between the two since the trolley uses had no on board energy storage vs. the battery electrics, but what I'm most curious about is how they'll perform.  Will they have that fast race up the hills and fly down the road characteristic the way electric buses should be or will they perform more closely to a diesel.

And yes, when I started skipping class in grade four, the rest of the day began with catching the next trolleybus down to the subway.  This went on until middle school when I discovered on the first day of grade seven that they took attendance in every class instead of once in the morning, which ruled out the idea of walking out and leaving at lunch or one of the recesses if the day started to go bad.

2 hours ago, Wayside Observer said:

Absolutely!  Any distraction from the very, very, very serious business being transacted on CPTDB is not to be tolerated.

Oh well, on a more serious note, it is kind of fitting that the first of the electric buses to come to Toronto are Flyers considering how the TTC closed out electric buses the last time with Flyers. And the leased BBCs but those weren't owned by TTC and kept their Edmonton colours the whole time they were here.

What I'm waiting for is once they're carrying passengers, is for one to eventually land on one of the old trolleybus lines I used to use all the time and take a ride on a Sunday or holiday with light traffic to try and do the best apples to apples comparison.  I figure they're going to be dissimilar in terms of riding quality on account of the general differences between high and low floor buses plus there has to be a significant weight difference between the two since the trolley uses had no on board energy storage vs. the battery electrics, but what I'm most curious about is how they'll perform.  Will they have that fast race up the hills and fly down the road characteristic the way electric buses should be or will they perform more closely to a diesel.

And yes, when I started skipping class in grade four, the rest of the day began with catching the next trolleybus down to the subway.  This went on until middle school when I discovered on the first day of grade seven that they took attendance in every class instead of once in the morning, which ruled out the idea of walking out and leaving at lunch or one of the recesses if the day started to go bad.

What trolleybus route was It, gonna say they could string back trolleybus wires on its former routes considering climate change 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TTC T6H-5307N 2252 said:

What trolleybus route was It, gonna say they could string back trolleybus wires on its former routes considering climate change 

Most frequently the three lines out of Eglinton as well as Ossington and Lansdowne.  In theory, yes, trolleybus wires could be reinstalled but there's no point considering the service levels on the Eglinton division lines.  You don't invest in expensive fixed plant when it's going to have a very low utilization factor.  If the TTC were to bring back trolleybuses, and that is very clearly never going to happen, it'd be the heavily used long haul routes that would be good candidates, especially the north-south ones where there's hills, where you'd maximize the bang for your infrastructure buck.  The Nortown bus isn't it.  As much as those Eglinton division trolleybus lines were great, I used them all the time, every day until they were abandoned, to be honest about the situation, they became an anachronism as soon as the subway got extended north of Eglinton and the heavy ridership they had until then thinned out severely.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, TheAverageJoe said:

Due to issues from BYD, TTC will be only taking 10 buses not 20

A question I still haven't had answered is what will happen with the remaining 10.

Will they be awarded to the winning manufacturer, split between the two, or will they simply not be built?

2 hours ago, Imgursdownvote4love said:

A question I still haven't had answered is what will happen with the remaining 10.

Will they be awarded to the winning manufacturer, split between the two, or will they simply not be built?

That hasn't been decided yet. See here, fast forward to 12:10.

• Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Wayside Observer said:

Does anybody really expect the TTC to buy a fleet of buses from BYD when they can only deliver half of the sample units because of problems?  It's off to a pretty bad start for them.  This isn't how you sell potential customers on placing large orders.

or like did anybody expect TTC to purchases buses from BYD in the first place?

I was told electric bus training has started for Arrow bus drivers.  

On May 9, 2019 at 4:47 PM, anyfong said:

On May 9, 2019 at 4:47 PM, anyfong said:

I was worried about the quality of the BYDs. I'm partially glad that the extra 10 buses will not come!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Urban_Monkey Transit said:

I was worried about the quality of the BYDs. I'm partially glad that the extra 10 buses will not come!

You may want to keep worrying.

There is one very important passage made in the meeting that everyone has totally missed - "...at this time." The TTC is still in discussions with BYD, and may still exercise the option for the 10 additional buses.

All that has happened is that the TTC has said that they are only getting 10 buses from BYD for now.

Dan

• Thanks 4

14 hours ago, leylandvictory2 said:

or like did anybody expect TTC to purchases buses from BYD in the first place?

Hopefully not but all it would take is the right combination of political interference and arm twisting combined with some you'll-lose-your-funding-if-you-don't type economic blackmail to influence a purchasing decision like buying ICTS or Presto for it to happen.  Granted, BYD isn't an Ontario government pet project like those two examples so maybe there's a smaller chance of that happening, but I'd be reluctant to underestimate the influence a couple of the right, will placed lobbiests can have.

I was told electric bus training has started for Arrow bus drivers.  

That's good. I'm actually quite eager to take a ride one one of these and see how the battery electric buses of my mis-spent adulthood stack up against the wired electric buses of my mis-spent youth.