Orion VI

TTC Electric Buses Orders and Deployments

Hello all,

Was scrolling around and didn't find a forum for this. (correct and/or redirect me if i'm wrong, and don't get TOOOOO mad)

Does anyone know when these buses will be deployed? 

Thanks

TTC9432

NFI's and BYD's are supposed to be delivered in 2019 Q1. And to save you another question, Q1 means each quarter of the year. Jan-Mar, Apr-Jun, Jul-Sept, Oct-Dec. As far as I know, BYD units are going to Eglinton. Can @leylandvictory2 confirm or correct?

30 minutes ago, 7575 said:

NFI's and BYD's are supposed to be delivered in 2019 Q1. And to save you another question, Q1 means each quarter of the year. Jan-Mar, Apr-Jun, Jul-Sept, Oct-Dec. As far as I know, BYD units are going to Eglinton. Can @leylandvictory2 confirm or correct?

Yes, BYD is going to Eglinton along with Proterra headed for Mount Dennis and New Flyer will be at Arrow Rd

• Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, DAT_28 said:

Yes, BYD is going to Eglinton along with Proterra headed for Mount Dennis and New Flyer will be at Arrow Rd

Ok I knew that Proterra and NFI were going to west end I just didn't know which divisions. Arrow will lose some units from this.

7 hours ago, 7575 said:

Ha nice. I know what Yearly Quarters are. They are used in financial terms to describe markets, and company fiances for that quarter. 

Also, any chance of the buses that are going to Mount Dennis will be running on the 14 Glencairn route? I live where this bus passes. I see and hear it everyday. Probably won't because it is a small route, but still curious. 

12 minutes ago, ttc9432 said:

Also, any chance of the buses that are going to Mount Dennis will be running on the 14 Glencairn route? I live where this bus passes. I see and hear it everyday. Probably won't because it is a small route, but still curious. 

TTC will run all buses on all routes. The reason they're ordering a test fleet is so that they can give them a proper workout under all conditions - busy and quiet routes, long and short trips, slow and fast speeds - in order to find any strengths and weaknesses, and determine if the technology is viable to adopt large-scale.

Just now, Articulated said:

TTC will run all buses on all routes. The reason they're ordering a test fleet is so that they can give them a proper workout under all conditions - busy and quiet routes, long and short trips, slow and fast speeds - in order to find any strengths and weaknesses, and determine if the technology is viable to adopt large-scale.

True, because whoever they like the best they order 30 more, is that right?

5 hours ago, TechnicaProductions said:

Speaking of the electric buses. A Proterra demo was just delivered to Mt Dennis

Why would they need that? Aren't the 10 buses going to be in TTC livery?

4 hours ago, Kelvin3157 said:

Test drives and other technical checks

It is most likely in town for the CUTA Trans-Expo next week and TTC probably just asked for a few days to look at it.

• Thanks 1

I think we might have a duplicate topic somewhere... let me seek it...

EDIT: here it is, it's in the sightings forum. These could be merged but can't think of where it should go... sightings or main...

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Transit geek said:

I think we might have a duplicate topic somewhere... let me seek it...

EDIT: here it is, it's in the sightings forum. These could be merged but can't think of where it should go... sightings or main...

They both have 14 replies so ya merge them, but the other one was older, so give it priority (????) just keep posting here, that one is dead. 

13 minutes ago, TechnicaProductions said:

Deliveries make more sense on the sightings page, that's where the Flexity and LFS delivery topics are as well.

Should I make another one in that section? or can it be moved?

Why do all the media say TTC will get 55 hybrids this year with 200 more in 2019 but the CPTDB wiki indicates only 170 hybrids for this order? Was something changed and the wiki is not updated?

Also find it amusing they only praise the advantages of these 2nd gen hybrids without telling the public of the problems the 1st gen hybrids have and why many are early retired now.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Orion V said:

Why do all the media say TTC will get 55 hybrids this year with 200 more in 2019 but the CPTDB wiki indicates only 170 hybrids for this order? Was something changed and the wiki is not updated?

Also find it amusing they only praise the advantages of these 2nd gen hybrids without telling the public of the problems the 1st gen hybrids have and why many are early retired now.

The TTC has the hybrid batches broken down as follows:

3400-3454: 55 buses (3400 is the pilot bus)

3455-3569: 115 buses

3570-3654: 85 buses

Total: 255 hybrid buses from 2018-2019. In all likelihood, they will all be delivered concurrently.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Downsview 108 said:

"Last week the TTC received its first ever Hybrid Electric bus."

Informative, you say.<_<

It gets better.  In the next paragraph they say that, "Hybrid electric buses use an electric motor that is charged by a combination of an on-board diesel engine and regenerative braking," as if the electric motor is an energy storage system.  They correct themselves in the next sentence when they mention the battery.  The whole thing reads as if the Urban Toronto people lifted the graphics, which, true, they are at least attributing as "Courtesy of TTC", out of the TTC green bus report that came out a year ago or the updated presentation that was released back in the summer and are trying to paraphrase the text without fully understanding what they were reading.  Each section they cover has errors in it that were not present in the TTC original.

The absolute best eye-roller in the whole thing to me is where they repeatedly talk about how the bus charging systems convert DC to AC to charge the buses except for the BYD where they claim the DC to AC conversion occurs on the bus.  Apart from getting the direction of the power conversion completely wrong, and clearly nobody at Urban Toronto checked what they were writing against the original TTC reports they were plagiarizing which are correct and noticed the difference or understands that batteries work on direct current and not AC, there's nothing wrong with what they wrote about electric bus charging.

So yes, it's informative.  About the skill level of the authors or lack thereof, more than anything.  I'll be generous and say that it isn't as vacuous as BlogTO and the "This week's 10 Most Impressive Douchebag Condos on the 6 Bay Bus in Toronto" garbage they publish for millennials that are being heavily subsidized by the Bank of Mom & Dad.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

8 hours ago, Downsview 108 said:

"Last week the TTC received its first ever Hybrid Electric bus."

Informative, you say.<_<

(Kid walks up to the TTC booth at the CUTA show)

“Didn’t you guys have hybrids before?”

”Zis exhibit is closed!”

5ADAE00C-33A1-44E3-967C-393C9C5BA734.thumb.jpeg.f3c9f9b7a9d0f8656e2621fdd3938537.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 9