Ralph Watzke

Does anyone know anything about 30 foot Flxible Old Looks in Saskatoon Transit circa 1966 or earlier?

• There is an unaccounted gap of seven numbers, 313 to 319 around 1964-65 in the midst of the GM New Look list, thus I suspect that these numbers may have been old-look Flxibles built in the Alabama ex-Southern plant? The bus I was in, in 1966, looked to be in fairly new condition, despite its old-look styling. I suspect these buses may have been bought to replace some of the similarly sized CCF C-36A small gasoline Brills 101-125 from 1946-1953, but for some reason not kept long in the Saskatoon system. The below 1954 pictures of Southern buses do look like a pretty close match to the Saskatoon Flxible, so it's quite possible that Flxible opted to continue to build these under the Flxible name circa 1964-65. The other alternative is that Flxible may have chosen to continue building an "old look" short Twin Coach but without the "ears/crew-cut" and Twin Coach name, much like GM continued to build its small Old Look until 1968; the photos of later small Twins with standee windows do seem to bear a resemblance too.
    Manage
    No automatic alt text available.

•      

That's a lot of speculation. Where there actually even old look style Flxible's produced once they introduced their "New Look"?

And if there were... Why would Saskatoon, with no prior history of purchasing Twin's or Flxible's, end up being the only operation in Canada to purchase them when a 30' GM "old look" option was available?

I can't say for sure what you rode, although there were still gasoline powered CCF/ Brill buses in service in the 1960's.

Definitely was a Flxible (badges on front and in interior), with old look styling and standee windows - it resembled very much the small Macks or the small GM Old Looks. My theory is that it may have been a re-branded Southern product from Alabama, from right after Flxible`s takeover c. 1963, but still using the Old Look design - or perhaps an Ohip factory product as one of the last FL Fageoliner products made - remember Flxible`s right to use Twin coach name ended in 1962 so anything built after that time had to be labelled only as Flxible.

I am referring specifically to a City Of Saskatoon Transit bus I rode in the summer of 1966, with Flxible markings (name inside an oval, WITHOUT Twin Coach). I don't think it had the Twin Coach "crew cuts", I'd have noticed that, rather it looked very much like the standee-window short Old Look GM's or Macks. And the upholstery was white and black two-tone, as I recall. Or would it have been a late short version of Twin design without the Twin nameplate and "crew cuts". I could find no reference to these buses in any City Of Saskatoon Transit fleet list, but there is a gap of 7 numbers in the early sixties that might have been these? I've found pictures of a 1954 Southern brochure that resembles this bus, also seen photos of short Twins with standee windows that seem reminiscent.. There seems to be an almost total absence of info on buses produced by Southern, or of the small transit buses made by Flxible at the Southern plant. Anyone have any info?  I remember in 1966, riding on at least one thirty-foot Flxible transit bus in Saskatoon, SK. This bus would have been an Old Look made in the fifties or sixties, not sure if it was a shortened Twin Coach or an original Flxible design. The only name displayed was Flxible, no Twin Coach, no Canadair. Does anyone know about this particular model as I have been unable to find any photos or records of such a bus anywhere?  There is an unaccounted gap of seven numbers, 313 to 319 around 1964-65 in the midst of the GM New Look list, thus I suspect that these numbers may have been used for Flxibles.

The only thing Flxible built at Evergreen were short "New Looks" (with single headlamps) and Flxettes. The first of the "New Looks" weren't delivered until the early 60s. Twin Coach did have a 30-foot coach in the early 1950s, but these were Fageoliners.  The Southern Coach production ended before Flxible.