Sign in to follow this  
roeco

New Inter City Bus Services Approved in BC

ebus has been approved to operate Kamloops-Kelowna. Kelowna-Vancouver. And Vancouver-Kelowna-Kamloops. Looks like drivers will switch in Merritt. And I would think all drivers will be Vancouver or Kamloops based by the looks of it.  Wilsons has also been approved to run Vancouver to Kamloops and Vancouver to Kelowna.  Rider Express as we all know is,late Oct is going to be running Hwy 1 Vancouver-Kamloops-Calgary-Winnipeg. Lets hope everyone can get together and work out interline agreements or even share pickup/drop off locations too. Wilsons has indicated they will use Pacific Central station as they already do for their Victoria services. 

• Like 1

Merritt Shuttle seems to have been approved back in Oct but seem to not have the $$ to do anything. They should have started small and built from their, Merritt to Prince George would have been an ideal starting point and feed into Wilsons or ebus at Merritt. One 15 pass sprinter type vehicle would have worked well.

1 hour ago, roeco said:

Merritt Shuttle seems to have been approved back in Oct but seem to not have the $$ to do anything. They should have started small and built from their, Merritt to Prince George would have been an ideal starting point and feed into Wilsons or ebus at Merritt. One 15 pass sprinter type vehicle would have worked well.

How much daily revenue would a single round trip in a 15-pax sprinter generate per day?

Answer - not enough.

On 12/30/2018 at 10:24 AM, northwesterner said:

How much daily revenue would a single round trip in a 15-pax sprinter generate per day?

Answer - not enough.

In general you would be correct, having run 15 passenger sprinters in revenue service, it's not easy. However, if they had freight hauled in a small trailer it can be lucrative. unfortunately it would be difficult at best to get enough freight on board, unless they had some sort of interline with a major courier company.

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 11:24 AM, northwesterner said:

Answer - not enough.

That would all depend on the ridership. With 10-12 passengers a day average  at say $100 approx/each Pg to Kamloops each way, do a round trip each day x 5 days a week, you do the math. With decent marketing it could be a good start. Def the demand...like their is any other option. And not necessarily a sprinter. Their are several smaller style buses that would work well in that service. Interline with ebus or Wilsons too for further connections. from Kamloops.

4 hours ago, roeco said:

That would all depend on the ridership. With 10-12 passengers a day average  at say $100 approx/each Pg to Kamloops each way, do a round trip each day x 5 days a week, you do the math. With decent marketing it could be a good start. Def the demand...like their is any other option. And not necessarily a sprinter. Their are several smaller style buses that would work well in that service. Interline with ebus or Wilsons too for further connections. from Kamloops.

except that a 15 passenger Sprinter is over $100,000 dollars to purchase or a very high lease rate, again I have actually operated this type of vehicle. Costs are pretty high, sure if the owner is the driver you can make some money, works out to about $15.00 an hour. I don't get out of bed for $15.00 an hour.

On ‎1‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 11:43 PM, RZ350 said:

except that a 15 passenger Sprinter is over $100,000 dollars to purchase or a very high lease rate, again I have actually operated this type of vehicle. Costs are pretty high, sure if the owner is the driver you can make some money, works out to about $15.00 an hour. I don't get out of bed for $15.00 an hour.

...A Ford Transit which is same type of thing is nowhere near 100k, same type of thing and being used by a lot of smaller co, I had a friend who just bought one. Paid $55,000 and it had all the bells and whistles...15 passenger. I guess it depends where you buy it, Here In Alberta they are nowhere near 100k.