Rider Express

canuck600

3 hours ago, curlingteam333 said:

Rider Express just got 2 new bus for Toronto Ottawa bus. It’s all Temsa bus looks like. One with accessible and one without. As according to Facebook on Rider Express Facebook page. 

They're TS 45 buses numbered 19 and 20.

2 hours ago, MCIBUS said:

Not sure why they didn't have the other coach accessible as well?

why would they. one is more than enough. They only have one for their west runs too.

18 hours ago, roeco said:

Rider Express has announced on fb they r starting service to Windsor in mid July.

They'll need more buses for that service since they only have two units in Ontario at the moment.

2 hours ago, roeco said:

I would think they would be getting more.

They would have to. I also wonder if they'll do seven days a week on that corridor as it's a very busy corridor. I could also see them taking over Hamilton-Guelph and Hamilton-Kitchener as Coach Canada has cut both corridors.

Not sure if they have 7 days on that Windsor-Toronto corridor? The Ottawa -Toronto corridor was very busy as well and they don't have 7 days a week, they only have 5 and if I recall only 2 trips/day compared to when Greyhound had it 7 days/week, with 5+ trips/day either way.

5 hours ago, MCIBUS said:

Not sure if they have 7 days on that Windsor-Toronto corridor? The Ottawa -Toronto corridor was very busy as well and they don't have 7 days a week, they only have 5 and if I recall only 2 trips/day compared to when Greyhound had it 7 days/week, with 5+ trips/day either way.

Ontario is still under pandemic restrictions... not sensible to run full service levels yet when demand is nowhere close to normal. As well, Rider Express is a new company in the Ontario marketplace that doesn't have an existing rider base or any brand awareness. Much better to start off by running a couple trips per week, than it is to buy a crapton of new equipment and hire a crapton of new employees for a service that runs 7-day-a-week, mutiple trips per day right off the bat, and find out that your service flops.

If Megabus, Pacific Western, Badder, or another company doesn't try to compete along that corridor, I certainly see Rider Express expanding to daily and multiple trips per day. London is a big post-secondary town, and there will be a huge demand once classes at Western University and Fanshawe College return in the fall.

5 hours ago, Articulated said:

Ontario is still under pandemic restrictions... not sensible to run full service levels yet when demand is nowhere close to normal. As well, Rider Express is a new company in the Ontario marketplace that doesn't have an existing rider base or any brand awareness. Much better to start off by running a couple trips per week, than it is to buy a crapton of new equipment and hire a crapton of new employees for a service that runs 7-day-a-week, mutiple trips per day right off the bat, and find out that your service flops.

If Megabus, Pacific Western, Badder, or another company doesn't try to compete along that corridor, I certainly see Rider Express expanding to daily and multiple trips per day. London is a big post-secondary town, and there will be a huge demand once classes at Western University and Fanshawe College return in the fall.

Also pretty sure Rider and Ontario Northland will be working together that may help with ridership. 

• 2 weeks later...

It seems that Rider Express changed their stop from the train station to Entrance # 3 at St-Laurent Shopping Centre.  The website stated that an Ottawa-Montreal route is coming soon.  Competition is heating up 🔥

I'm surprised how they got a permit to go into Quebec? Not sure why they changed it from Train Station to St Laurent? Is this for Montreal or Toronto>? If Montreal I see it would be easier on 417 at St Laurent, then Train.

2 hours ago, MCIBUS said:

I'm surprised how they got a permit to go into Quebec? Not sure why they changed it from Train Station to St Laurent? Is this for Montreal or Toronto>? If Montreal I see it would be easier on 417 at St Laurent, then Train.

All I know so far is that it will be an express service directly to Montreal, but they did not say where the bus stop will be located in Montreal.  The only way I could see MTQ allowing them to get a permit is that they'll probably serve P.E. Trudeau Airport which is not currently served by Orleans Express.

12 hours ago, sdgta2008 said:

It seems that Rider Express changed their stop from the train station to Entrance # 3 at St-Laurent Shopping Centre.  The website stated that an Ottawa-Montreal route is coming soon.  Competition is heating up 🔥

Yeah I would of thought VIA would of been an ideal location for them. Vs a shopping mall.

Is Entrance # 3 right across from ST Laurent Station? Surprised they didn't use the ST Laurent Station? Grant you I don't know what  OC charging Mega for using their stop or what the management of ST Laurent Shopping Center is charging Ridder perhaps it's cheaper? 

5 minutes ago, MCIBUS said:

Is Entrance # 3 right across from ST Laurent Station? Surprised they didn't use the ST Laurent Station? Grant you I don't know what  OC charging Mega for using their stop or what the management of ST Laurent Shopping Center is charging Ridder perhaps it's cheaper? 

Entrance # 3 is on the east side across from the parking garage.  There seems to be enough space in that section and the exit to southbound St-Laurent Blvd. is right there so it's an easy launch point.

Except it's a bit of walk to the Transitway station? I get it why they want it there, less then 10 mins to the on ramp to Queensway, then right to 417 to Montreal. I'm wondering if there will switch there Toronto run there as well?

On 7/15/2021 at 12:02 PM, MCIBUS said:

Actually, it's not that easy for traffic to access St. Laurent Blvd. from Highway 417 westbound.  Remember that the St. Laurent exit was blocked when the Split was reconfigured in the last decade, and now the off ramp can only be accessed from Highway 174.  WB traffic on Highway 417 must exit at Innes Road or the Aviation Parkway to get to St. Laurent Blvd.

Rider Express released their Toronto-Windsor Schedule

Everyday except Tuesday and Saturday

Service stops at Toronto, Kitchener, London and Windsor, ON

Schedule doesn't seem to be aligned at Toronto and Kitchener for commuter service, however connection is available to Ottawa  (Ottawa-Windsor require a 4 hour layover)

Their station in Kitchener is in between Cambridge and Kitchener, and their station in London is near White Oaks Mall (the PetroCanada right off Wellington exit) which is MUCH better than the Highbury location Bladder bus found. At least there is all day bus service

Their Windsor Station is the same as Greyhound

It seems like most of their station is outside of Downtown between Toronto and Windsor. I know the operational conveniences of having a location near a highway, but you won't be able to attract as much people as if the station were Downtown especially when VIA Rail is still Downtown. 

https://riderexpress.ca/schedules/toronto-ottawa/

19 minutes ago, Rapidbus said:

Rider Express released their Toronto-Windsor Schedule

Everyday except Tuesday and Saturday

Service stops at Toronto, Kitchener, London and Windsor, ON

Schedule doesn't seem to be aligned at Toronto and Kitchener for commuter service, however connection is available to Ottawa  (Ottawa-Windsor require a 4 hour layover)

Their station in Kitchener is in between Cambridge and Kitchener, and their station in London is near White Oaks Mall (the PetroCanada right off Wellington exit) which is MUCH better than the Highbury location Bladder bus found. At least there is all day bus service

Their Windsor Station is the same as Greyhound

It seems like most of their station is outside of Downtown between Toronto and Windsor. I know the operational conveniences of having a location near a highway, but you won't be able to attract as much people as if the station were Downtown especially when VIA Rail is still Downtown. 

https://riderexpress.ca/schedules/toronto-ottawa/

They are not in the Greyhound terminal as it is still leased by Greyhound as Badder was trying to use the terminal. Rider Express is using Chatham St. by the terminal.

• 2 weeks later...

There is now a third bus for use on the Windsor-Toronto route. It's a 35 foot TEMSA TS 35E, numbered 18. According to the VIN, it's ex Ontario Northland L1907, which was sent back to Damera Bus Sales some time in 2020. The driver of bus 20 (on the 16:30 Toronto-Ottawa route) told me that there is apparently a fourth unit numbered 21, which is another 35 foot unit. 

IMG_4078.thumb.JPG.5f775a6ee58d7297f310581e69571630.JPG IMG_4080.thumb.JPG.cfe391d09331b693a6243da1dd59fe7c.JPG

• Thanks 2

Rider Express moved their Kingston stop. My friend was telling me that they have a friend who works for Coach Canada and does Megabus between Toronto and Kingston. The Station Manager for Kingston knows about Rider Express and the Manager would sit in their personal car when Rider Express is due to arrive and count how many passengers get on and off the bus and report back to Peterborough. I am guessing Coach Canada gave Rider Express a cease and desist order to get out of the neighbouring City Property beside the Tim Horton's or The Station Manager knows people in the City and they kicked Rider Express off their property.

13 hours ago, Megabus Rider said:

Rider Express moved their Kingston stop. My friend was telling me that they have a friend who works for Coach Canada and does Megabus between Toronto and Kingston. The Station Manager for Kingston knows about Rider Express and the Manager would sit in their personal car when Rider Express is due to arrive and count how many passengers get on and off the bus and report back to Peterborough. I am guessing Coach Canada gave Rider Express a cease and desist order to get out of the neighbouring City Property beside the Tim Horton's or The Station Manager knows people in the City and they kicked Rider Express off their property.

Megabus can't have their cake and eat it too. They took advantage of deregulation in Ontario to muscle into corridors they didn't bid on (Toronto-Ottawa, and now Toronto-London), so they really don't have a place or ability to call out competing carriers who are doing the same thing.

If Coach Canada really wants to prevent Rider Express from gaining a foothold, maybe they could consider increasing service and making it more attractive...

EDIT: Counting the riders could just mean that Coach Canada management is interested in the ridership potential for earlier trips, since Rider Express operates trips at different times from Megabus. The jump in your conclusion from observing a competing carrier to sending out "cease-and-desist" letters is not backed up by any evidence that I can see.

There are a large number of reasons that Rider Express could have changed their stop location that don't involve threats of legal action from a competing carrier. There could be issues with the previous stop location, such as the ability for 45 foot coaches to loop through and stop on the property, the property owner could not like the volume of service operating through, or it could be financial-related (either Rider Express was turfed for not paying, or they decided the cost to use the property was not justified by the ridership they were getting).