The Kelowna service is more coming soon.

Vancouver-Kamloops is now daily.

Go through the schedule and you will notice that the stations are different for the same location.

Uwe

It would make more business sense for them to work  with wilsons or ebus and operate a Kamloops to Calgary schedule or Kelowna to Calgary(at least 3 x week) vs trying to compete! And for them to build partnership in Alberta also!! Partnerships is key in the intercity bus business.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, roeco said:

It would make more business sense for them to work  with wilsons or ebus and operate a Kamloops to Calgary schedule or Kelowna to Calgary(at least 3 x week) vs trying to compete! And for them to build partnership in Alberta also!! Partnerships is key in the intercity bus business.

This is not always true, having a GOOD partnership, with a company that pays it's bills CAN be very useful in intercity buses. The reality is, what's in it for EBus or Wilsons? Either of these companies can easily do this run if they think it's necessary, and probably better than this guy. He has taken a shot in the dark, and it's not really working out from what I can see. What he should probably do is try to find a run that isn't currently serviced, and see if he can make inroads, before potentially giving all his profit to another company. I have an example for you.

Malaspina Coach lines was very successful for a long time, with no partnerships except with Greyhound on freight. They had a route to themselves and profited nicely, until BC Ferries became ridiculously expensive, and air travel became cheaper. Another example was Premier Pacific. The owner was a terrible businessman and there were some very serious issues with the company, but he had one very successful niche. He ran a very profitable run to Whistler with no partnerships.

Eventually what will happen in Western Canada is either, One Company will dominate the inter city buses, or two or three will work together to do this. Either way, it's very interesting to watch.

now, I doubt they'll get approval for Van to Kelowna though,Rider Express seems to have the same stations for both runs between Vancouver and Kamloops. Whats very interesting is they say they will start operating Hwy 1 3x week starting in April and closer to summer daily. We'll see how that works for them. Also Rider may have competition on Hwy 1 by summer too as another co has applied to operate West out of Calgary!

Looks like Rider Express has applied to reduce to 1 x week Kamloops to Calgary. Also Applied for Kamloops to Kelowna 1 daily trip,1x day Merritt to Kaml and 1 x weekly Kelowna to Penticton(Apr 15-Oct 15).Vancouver to Kamloops will still remain daily! 

Kind of hypocritical of them to apply for more service when they couldn't even do what they originally applied for & they took their own sweet time applying to reduce service while running that reduced service.

9 hours ago, canuck600 said:

Kind of hypocritical of them to apply for more service when they couldn't even do what they originally applied for & they took their own sweet time applying to reduce service while running that reduced service.

Too little too late.  They didn't know the market they were getting into and now seeing how others are thriving on the same corridors and want in.  

They won't get the accelerated application for the proposed Merritt-Kelowna and Kelowna-Vernon-Kamloops routes and at least three carriers will oppose.  Their track record in BC will hopefully speak to what to expect if they are granted more operating authorities.

Uwe

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, canuck600 said:

They've said a lot of things & have actually done very few of them.

Sounds like some liberal government I know of  but I’ll save that for the politics thread

RIDER EXPRESS Now operates 7 Days a Week Calgary to Vancouver. They seem to have more expansion planned but we'll see if they start Calgary-Regina-Winnipeg at least 3 x week. Their should be the demand for at least that. 

Im thinking they may not still have all the Setras, I believe they may  have 3 possibly 4 as they are running Regina-Saskatoon to Edmonton with Prevost coaches.

Well Rider didn't get exactly what they wanted from PTB...they did get a frequency reduction of 2 x week Kamloops-Calgary (but that's for flexibility just in case) I would think.But did not get the Kamloops-Kelowna. Kelowna-Merritt(obvious reasons) and Kelowna to Penticton cause it wouldn't connect with anything. So I guess maybe Rider should concentrate on Vancouver-Kamloops-Calgary for now and expand East from their. They have a strong toe hold on one of the potentially best corridors(Hwy 1) in all of BC and  they should take full advantage of that. They should look at whats not serviced in BC and devise a plan from that like Kamloops-Jasper-Edmonton, one corridor that could have a ton of potential.

Did you read the decision information? The passenger counts are in the toilet on the Trans Canada run. They need to concentrate on surviving, not expanding. The last I heard they were still not licensed to pick up in the city of Vancouver & the owner of Rider Express has been banned from the depot in Vancouver.  

On 8/2/2019 at 8:42 PM, canuck600 said:

Did you read the decision information? The passenger counts are in the toilet on the Trans Canada run. They need to concentrate on surviving, not expanding. The last I heard they were still not licensed to pick up in the city of Vancouver & the owner of Rider Express has been banned from the depot in Vancouver.  

Yes they should build their Hwy 1 service in BC before they take on anything else,as its a prime corridor that could do them fine without anything else, just time their schedules to connect with others, But I would think if they were not doing that well on tch service they would not operate 7 days a week. Cant be to hard to get a license to pu in city of Vancouver. But why use Pacific Central(would Burrard stn not work)… but really they could move to anywhere with skytrain access and a decent waiting area, Adventure drops at Scott Rd. 

An interesting note is that Rider Now has 2 New Prevosts that are  to be operating on their Vancouver to Calgary service. 

It does look like Rider woke up and  now have 2 brand new Prevost coaches operating Vancouver to Calgary with Setra as back up, It appears the schedule continues to operate 1 trip Daily. Leaving both Vancouver and Calgary at 8:AM. Looks like Calgary driver stays in Kamloops overnight and Vancouver driver does up and back with a 3 hr layover in Kamloops.Also their Kamloops stop will change to the Petro Pass A&W truck stop on Versatile Way as of Oct.1. They also seem to be planning a Calgary to Edmonton run and a Calgary to Regina service, 2 x week.

Also they are operating Full size bus on Regina-Saskatoon-Edmonton. And as of Sept 27 have increased their Edmonton to Saskatoon service to 2 trips.

On 9/28/2019 at 12:22 PM, canuck600 said:

Hopefully they have the revenue to pay for those brand new Prevost & don't end up having them repossessed.

Yeah well have to see how it works out, They are continuing Daily Service which must mean they must be doing okay for Ridership cause they now do have the ability to reduce it to as low as 2 days a week between Kamloops and Calgary if they choose.

On 10/31/2019 at 7:12 PM, A. Wong said:

Rider Express #9 (Setra) was in Edmonton at the Kingsway A&W this evening.

I know they still have a few Setras still. That would of been their schedule that starts in Regina at 8 am and Lv Saskatoon 11:15 am and into Edmonton at 530pm.