Rider Express

canuck600

On 9/25/2020 at 10:10 AM, BCT-3122-D800-10240 said:

Also, looking at the Wiki for Rider Express, it shows that #8 was spotted in the blue livery. I highly doubt the blue #8 is the same coach as the silvery #8. The silver one was more than likely replaced by the blue one for whatever reason.  I do not know what number it was, but I did find a parted out scrap condition silver S417 at their shop in S.E. Calgary back on August 30, 2020. 
300820-3282rider-scrap.jpg

yeah not a surprise they had quite a few sertas i assume they have one or two for parts buses. Not sure how many serta they have now. 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

A Rider Express sponsored post appeared on my Facebook feed.  They are gauging interest into providing service all the way to Ottawa from the west.  I wasn’t able to find any information on their website and only this post from Facebook provided details and a contact email address.

00EF5E75-FD48-4FB9-BA84-01AEDFECA1BD.jpeg

15 hours ago, Michel said:

A Rider Express sponsored post appeared on my Facebook feed.  They are gauging interest into providing service all the way to Ottawa from the west.  I wasn’t able to find any information on their website and only this post from Facebook provided details and a contact email address.

00EF5E75-FD48-4FB9-BA84-01AEDFECA1BD.jpeg

Wow... they are aiming high (and far)!

1 hour ago, Prevost said:

Wow... they are aiming high (and far)!

Yep they sure are.  I would say its an aim that will surely not be achieveable. Anything past Winnipeg is 100% not viable...with two carriers already Especially ONT,  it would be better for Rider to hookup  with Ontario Northland for travel further past Winnipeg! 

1 hour ago, roeco said:

Yep they sure are.  I would say its an aim that will surely not be achieveable. Anything past Winnipeg is 100% not viable...with two carriers already Especially ONT,  it would be better for Rider to hookup  with Ontario Northland for travel further past Winnipeg! 

With Ontario in the process of deregulating the Bus Industry with repealing both the Ontario Highway Transport Board Act and the Public Vehicles Act, they will find it easy to set up shop in Ontario. However, there will be Ontario based Carriers that will take advantage on the deregulation and try to start Intercity Bus Service. I have also been told by a unnamed source, the Ontario Government will be partly funding these Intercity Runs using Ontario based Carriers which is the purpose of deregulation. Rider Express would be better off as you said to partner with Northland or buy some used Van Hool CX35 Coaches. Those H3s will not achieve full occupancy from Toronto or Ottawa. As for Quebec, they might as well give up. Quebec is also tightly regulated and they care about their own Carriers.

20 hours ago, Megabus Rider said:

With Ontario in the process of deregulating the Bus Industry with repealing both the Ontario Highway Transport Board Act and the Public Vehicles Act, they will find it easy to set up shop in Ontario. However, there will be Ontario based Carriers that will take advantage on the deregulation and try to start Intercity Bus Service. I have also been told by a unnamed source, the Ontario Government will be partly funding these Intercity Runs using Ontario based Carriers which is the purpose of deregulation. Rider Express would be better off as you said to partner with Northland or buy some used Van Hool CX35 Coaches. Those H3s will not achieve full occupancy from Toronto or Ottawa. As for Quebec, they might as well give up. Quebec is also tightly regulated and they care about their own Carriers.

Deregulating bus industry or not. Ontario Northland needs no permission to go anywhere in Ontario and I can see ONT expanding more than they have now their already expanded east to Winnipeg and you cant comepete against better to work with them so Kasper is finding out. Rider has Brand New Prevost on their Vancouver to Calgary service. And tesmas on some of their other services. Dont think the Setras are being used alot now. And Yes I believe thats what Rider is doing as we speak is trying to negotiate with ONT and Maple in WInnipeg.

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Michel said:

Rider Express has officially applied to run in Ontario and Quebec:

https://regina.ctvnews.ca/mobile/video?clipId=2068031

I dunno, they should have waited until after July 2021, they just wasted $1,500 on application fees and not to mention, Coach Canada will oppose for Toronto and Montreal, if Greyhound Canada is functioning, they will oppose the rest of the routes. The Quebec Government is not going to give anything to a Saskatchewan Company unless its for a Chartered trip. Greyhound and Coach Canada only got Montreal because of both companies buying over Voyageur's license when they got bought over by Greyhound. On top of the $1,500 in application fees, Rider Express has to chip in for oral hearings by paying for the venue and the Board's time. I hope the owner thought this through.

3 hours ago, Megabus Rider said:

I dunno, they should have waited until after July 2021, they just wasted $1,500 on application fees and not to mention, Coach Canada will oppose for Toronto and Montreal, if Greyhound Canada is functioning, they will oppose the rest of the routes. The Quebec Government is not going to give anything to a Saskatchewan Company unless its for a Chartered trip. Greyhound and Coach Canada only got Montreal because of both companies buying over Voyageur's license when they got bought over by Greyhound. On top of the $1,500 in application fees, Rider Express has to chip in for oral hearings by paying for the venue and the Board's time. I hope the owner thought this through.

I agree. They should instead build their service in the West stronger and run Brandon west via Minndedosa,Russell,Roblin,Yorkton-Saskatoon and hook up with Prairie Coach in Brandon for the Winnipeg portion.And connecting east with ONT. Run twice a week would be fine to start.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, A. Wong said:

On December 23, I saw one of the Temsa buses leaving the Edmonton Inn, and there was also a H3-45 there too.

they have one run that goes to Saskatoon/Regina (pretty sure they use the Tesma) and other one would of been Calgary 

• Board Admin
Just now, roeco said:

they have one run that goes to Saskatoon/Regina (pretty sure they use the Tesma) and other one would of been Calgary 

I think you're right - I am pretty sure they had text of Saskatoon (or Saskatchewan) on the front window shades.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Michel said:

Target Date for planned expansion into Quebec is now April 2021:

https://riderexpress.ca/2021/01/rider-express-expanding-to-the-east/

They might as well just go east to Winnipeg. Kasper, Greyhound and Coach Canada will oppose them for a April start date. After July 1, they can expand into Ontario but Northland will have greater market share by then with contracting out Intercity runs to Ontario based carriers, Rider Express would be wasting their time. Quebec will never give them a license. Greyhound, Coach Canada and Northland will oppose them.

2 hours ago, Megabus Rider said:

Quebec will never give them a license. Greyhound, Coach Canada and Northland will oppose them.

That’s the beauty of deregulation - let the customers decide who they prefer more and may the best company win.  I doubt we will see Greyhound ever run out of Ontario again.  In fact their service reductions and eventual suspension was the main reasons Ontario Northland expanded their offerings.  They are providing essential service to many small communities.  I can actually see them reducing that service once other carriers startup and continue focus on those small communities and feed into the bigger cities where Rider Express and Coach Canada would be running.

On 1/29/2021 at 7:56 PM, Michel said:

That’s the beauty of deregulation - let the customers decide who they prefer more and may the best company win.  I doubt we will see Greyhound ever run out of Ontario again.  In fact their service reductions and eventual suspension was the main reasons Ontario Northland expanded their offerings.  They are providing essential service to many small communities.  I can actually see them reducing that service once other carriers startup and continue focus on those small communities and feed into the bigger cities where Rider Express and Coach Canada would be running.

Between Ontario Northland and Kasper No other service can survive East of Winnipeg. Their best chance for expansion is to partner with Ontario Northland and use Maple Bus Lines terminal in Winnipeg.  For Rider to go alone it wont fly even under deregulation.

• 4 weeks later...

I have just saw Rider Express that they are Starting their Regina to Winnipeg Service on Mar.19 and they did tell me they are working with Ontario Northland to connect to the East, they will not be running it themselves. Im not sure exactly what kind of partnersip it is but well see in the next few weeks.

2 hours ago, roeco said:

I have just saw Rider Express that they are Starting their Regina to Winnipeg Service on Mar.19 and they did tell me they are working with Ontario Northland to connect to the East, they will not be running it themselves. Im not sure exactly what kind of partnersip it is but well see in the next few weeks.

Surprisingly they are running it from Regina- Winnipeg compared to Saskatoon to Winnipeg. It is once a week however

I guess they are counting on unsuspending the once a week service along Hwy 1 between Calgary and Regina in the future. 

Is the ridership along the Yellowhead east of Saskatoon that bad? It was one of the first areas Greyhound cut back in 2009 from two runs to one.

On 2/27/2021 at 1:37 AM, Rapidbus said:

Surprisingly they are running it from Regina- Winnipeg compared to Saskatoon to Winnipeg. It is once a week however

I guess they are counting on unsuspending the once a week service along Hwy 1 between Calgary and Regina in the future. 

Is the ridership along the Yellowhead east of Saskatoon that bad? It was one of the first areas Greyhound cut back in 2009 from two runs to one.

I would think Rider may of chosen Regina to Winnipeg cause its much shorter and one driver can do it no problem. The timings are about right in order to make some kind of connection in Winnipeg with ONT even though theirs a bit of a wait.

I believe they are going to restart their Calgary to Regina service in April-May. 

On 2/27/2021 at 1:37 AM, Rapidbus said:

Good question I would think ridership might be better on Saskatoon-Yorkton-Brandon-Winnipeg corridor vs Regina-Brandon-Winnipeg. But its shorter distance via Hwy 1