Rider Express

canuck600

I believe they have at least 2 of the newer Prevost they use exclusively for Vancouver to Calgary. I believe they just park overnight in Vancouver as pretty sure drivers are based in Vancouver and Calgary then stay in Kamloops. I did hear they may add a night schedule each way in summer. 

• 4 weeks later...

Effective early March Rider Express has  said they will start service from Calgary to Regina via Hwy 1. Their schedule is posted on their website however its not a surprise that they are doing overnight schedules both ways...but it was to be expected as to line up with their existing schedules. I would think to start with they could just do 2-3 days a week which is better than nothing. They also said they will do Edmonoton to Calgary however that corridor already has enough service on it.

On 2/13/2020 at 9:03 PM, roeco said:

Effective early March Rider Express has  said they will start service from Calgary to Regina via Hwy 1. Their schedule is posted on their website however its not a surprise that they are doing overnight schedules both ways...but it was to be expected as to line up with their existing schedules. I would think to start with they could just do 2-3 days a week which is better than nothing. They also said they will do Edmonoton to Calgary however that corridor already has enough service on it.

Rider Express Hwy 1 Service starts early March. Lv at 11pm(Fri) from Calgary Arr Regina at 8 am(Sat). Also returning Lv Regina 9Pm(sun) arr Calg 630am (Mon). One day a week each way is better than nothing at all I guess. Im sure they will increase frequency in summer.

• 1 month later...

Coincidentally Rider has started a 2 trip per day Express service between Edmonton and Calgary as of Mar 30. Lv Edmonton 730am-330pm and Calgary 8am-330pm. Daily except Sat.

As well they have changed timings on their Edmonton-Saskatoon-Regina service.

Does anyone know what Rider has for a fleet now. I know they have at least 2-3 newer prevosts and not sure how many setras they still have or other ones ??

They have also changed their Vancouver to Calgary service to Mon/Wed/Thur/Fri  only and will now be the only bus service between Vancouver and Kamloops after Apr 5

• 1 month later...

Looks like Rider Express will be starting up an Overnight Schedule between Vancouver and Calgary on Tuesdays and Mondays. Leave Vancouver Tuesdays at 19:00 arrive Calgary by 09:15 on Wednesday. The Leave Calgary Mondays at 18:00 and arrive into Vancouver at 06:35 Tuesday.

https://riderexpress.ca/schedules/vancouver-calgary/

Edit: Completely had a brain fart and added the proper timing info and dates.

On 5/14/2020 at 1:36 PM, translink fan said:

Fixed. Not sure why I had a brain shutdown :D

lol... oh on another note Its possible we may see Rider trek west to Winnipeg in the not to distant future :)

On 5/14/2020 at 12:33 PM, translink fan said:

Looks like Rider Express will be starting up an Overnight Schedule between Vancouver and Calgary on Tuesdays and Mondays. Leave Vancouver Tuesdays at 19:00 arrive Calgary by 09:15 on Wednesday. The Leave Calgary Mondays at 18:00 and arrive into Vancouver at 06:35 Tuesday.

https://riderexpress.ca/schedules/vancouver-calgary/

Edit: Completely had a brain fart and added the proper timing info and dates.

I can see their night run being popular as Greyhounds was.

16 hours ago, translink fan said:

Looks like Rider Express took delivery of a Temsa TS-35. For service between Sakatoon and Regina according to the Facebook post by them.

I believe these are the same type Ontario Northland is operating on their newly created service between Winnipeg and Thunder Bay.

• 2 months later...

Rider Express has announced the discontinuation of their Calgary to Regina route via Hwy 1 yet again! They will route Regina passengers via Edmonton-Saskatoon. Best way maybe to do that route is Calgary to Medicine Hat and Regina-Swift Current-Rosetown-Saskatoon. Catch all the major towns that way add a few more stops and service with a smaller vehicle. 

27 minutes ago, roeco said:

Rider Express has announced the discontinuation of their Calgary to Regina route via Hwy 1 yet again! They will route Regina passengers via Edmonton-Saskatoon. Best way maybe to do that route is Calgary to Medicine Hat and Regina-Swift Current-Rosetown-Saskatoon. Catch all the major towns that way add a few more stops and service with a smaller vehicle. 

Not surprised. Service was once a week Friday nights. Service simply didn't run frequently enough for it to be useful

4 minutes ago, Rapidbus said:

Not surprised. Service was once a week Friday nights. Service simply didn't run frequently enough for it to be useful

yep and they could of did a day run might of helped too. But Cold Shot is planning to do Calgary-Medicine Hat passenger run (they just started freight in early July). 

6 hours ago, roeco said:

was that in Edmonton?

These TEMSA buses are common in Mexico and other countries but I don't know how well they will hold up in Canadian winters. But if they are half the price of an MCI and more study than a cutaway then it's worth it if they last half the lifespan. 

I hope they come with heaters on the windows. 

Do they have knobby rear tires? Wouldn't want to drive through the mountains with regular all season tires. 

On 8/12/2020 at 6:34 PM, Shaun said:

These TEMSA buses are common in Mexico and other countries but I don't know how well they will hold up in Canadian winters. But if they are half the price of an MCI and more study than a cutaway then it's worth it if they last half the lifespan. 

I hope they come with heaters on the windows. 

Do they have knobby rear tires? Wouldn't want to drive through the mountains with regular all season tires. 

Ontario Northland has a few too.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So it seems that they have had two different S417's numbered as #8......    A silver one, and a blue one.  A month or two ago, I found one with no decals in scrap condition sitting at their shot in S.E. Calgary by 61st and Barlow Trail, but I have no idea if that was the first #8 or not.  Here are the two #8's that I have photographed over the past couple of years.  The silver #8 was captured on July 11, 2019 in Banff, then the Blue #8 was captured in Edmonton off of the Yellowhead on September 15, 2020. Also included is a shot of Dark Grey Setra S417 #6 also parked in a lot off of the Yellowhead in Edmonton.
110719-0123rider8.jpg  110719-0121rider8.jpg  150920-3765rider8.jpg  150920-3763rider6.jpg

On 9/5/2020 at 9:43 PM, T6H-5307N said:

Found (presumably) the same bus last weekend:

20200830_102732.thumb.jpg.56287289342c4b4b072a1ebcdeb4ae6e.jpg20200830_102756.thumb.jpg.b3ac87386ca12a46108c3df8351156b9.jpg20200830_102839.thumb.jpg.b0e3298f6559cc742f1a96e4cc81ce86.jpg

Matching license plates?!?

Also, looking at the Wiki for Rider Express, it shows that #8 was spotted in the blue livery. I highly doubt the blue #8 is the same coach as the silvery #8. The silver one was more than likely replaced by the blue one for whatever reason.  I do not know what number it was, but I did find a parted out scrap condition silver S417 at their shop in S.E. Calgary back on August 30, 2020. 
300820-3282rider-scrap.jpg