If You Could Restore One Transit Vehicle, What Would It Be?

On October 10, 2018 at 7:34 PM, Transit geek said:

Simply put, a PCC is not a bus, even though it might have a bus-like chassis. Perhaps we need to expand this thread to streetcars and other kinds of PTVs?

I'm speaking in broad, general terms and not calling anybody out specifically when I say this but in the short time I've been here, I've noticed a lot of people get extremely wound up on specifics when it isn't necessary.  From exact vehicle types to what exact forum to post things in when the categories are sufficiently broad that many given topics would fit in more than one exact place.  Relax, guys.  This is an internet forum which means in the grand scheme of real and important things you have to deal with in life, it ranks about zero in importance, if not less.  There's no need to get so worked up about minutae.  It isn't like your mortgage payment's going to be deducted this evening and your bank account's a few dollars short and you're racing against the clock to get it sorted out or you've gotten hit by a car and you're trying to catch the plate number as they speed off while trying not to fall flat on the road or anything like that.

On October 10, 2018 at 9:15 PM, 7575 said:

Streetcars count. Don't mind my title. I've been up for 42 hours straight 

You need to get some rest!

On January 1, 2019 at 9:26 PM, 7575 said:

Title fixed!

Thank you for saving me from the avalanche of hate mail I was about to get for mentioning subway trains that were painted red, had windows that opened, flashed into emergency lights only gloom at every third rail gap, and needed a whole eight cars to fill a platform in a thread about buses.

• Thanks 8

On 10/10/2018 at 10:58 AM, 7575 said:

Me as well

Decently a T6H-5307N of some sort. Maybe a first production one as they were sexy as hell.

Unfortunately the TTC scrapped a 2900 series GM (in excellent shape and in the original colours) around 1999-2000 that they were using as a hoist-test bus at Hillcrest. Would have made a perfect museum piece.

On 1/2/2019 at 10:29 AM, Wayside Observer said:

This is strictly hypothetical which is truly unfortunate but a full eight car train of Gloucesters.  There's been nothing like that in Toronto before, nothing since, and never will be again.

This could have been feasible before 1998 or before 2004(?) for 6-cars but it would be a mixed train of steel and aluminum. They would have 5098/99, 5068/69, 5104/05(?), and another G2 pair (can't remember the numbers).

My vote for restoration goes to the M1s. The greatest subway cars in the history of man. 

For buses, either an E700 or D700. 

On 1/3/2019 at 9:56 AM, Wayside Observer said:

I'm speaking in broad, general terms and not calling anybody out specifically when I say this but in the short time I've been here, I've noticed a lot of people get extremely wound up on specifics when it isn't necessary.  From exact vehicle types to what exact forum to post things in when the categories are sufficiently broad that many given topics would fit in more than one exact place.  Relax, guys.  This is an internet forum which means in the grand scheme of real and important things you have to deal with in life, it ranks about zero in importance, if not less.  There's no need to get so worked up about minutae.  It isn't like your mortgage payment's going to be deducted this evening and your bank account's a few dollars short and you're racing against the clock to get it sorted out or you've gotten hit by a car and you're trying to catch the plate number as they speed off while trying not to fall flat on the road or anything like that.

You need to get some rest!

Thank you for saving me from the avalanche of hate mail I was about to get for mentioning subway trains that were painted red, had windows that opened, flashed into emergency lights only gloom at every third rail gap, and needed a whole eight cars to fill a platform in a thread about buses.

It had to be said. Lots of self-appointed mods here, presumably none of which who are contributing either financially or technologically to the forum.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Downsview 108 said:

This could have been feasible before 1998 or before 2004(?) for 6-cars but it would be a mixed train of steel and aluminum. They would have 5098/99, 5068/69, 5104/05(?), and another G2 pair (can't remember the numbers).

My vote for restoration goes to the M1s. The greatest subway cars in the history of man. 

For buses, either an E700 or D700.

It really should have been done around 1988 when the fleet was being wound down.  I heard that Ray Corley who was an engineer at the TTC at the time wrote a letter to upper management recommending that a train of Gloucesters be retained for historic purposes and gave a shortlist of examples within the subtypes to form an eight car historic train but the proposal was turned down.  Fast forward to recent years when the idea of a TTC museum was floated and building a replica of one of the original subway cars was included in the plan being proposed.  The fact that building a replica had to be contemplated just goes to show the typical Toronto shortsightedness.  And yet they keep saying that this is a world class city.

The M1s set the bar in many ways for sure.  Does the pair that went to HCRR run?  And I'd vote for an E700 too but I'm extremely biased on that.

• Like 5

54 minutes ago, Wayside Observer said:

but the proposal was turned down.

Ahh, Toronto. Never change...

54 minutes ago, Wayside Observer said:

The M1s set the bar in many ways for sure.  Does the pair that went to HCRR run?

I don't think it was ever modified to run on the museum's pole system, at least not according to Transit Toronto's article on the M1s. 5300, in addition, has had its interior partially dismantled - if you peek through the darkened doors and concentrate your eyes hard enough you can see the ceiling fans littering the floor.

I'm glad they're around, even with the state they're in, though. Certainly a kinder fate than what befell their successors. And some of their fellow PCCs, too.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Wayside Observer said:

It really should have been done around 1988 when the fleet was being wound down.  I heard that Ray Corley who was an engineer at the TTC at the time wrote a letter to upper management recommending that a train of Gloucesters be retained for historic purposes and gave a shortlist of examples within the subtypes to form an eight car historic train but the proposal was turned down.  Fast forward to recent years when the idea of a TTC museum was floated and building a replica of one of the original subway cars was included in the plan being proposed.  The fact that building a replica had to be contemplated just goes to show the typical Toronto shortsightedness.  And yet they keep saying that this is a world class city.

The M1s set the bar in many ways for sure.  Does the pair that went to HCRR run?  And I'd vote for an E700 too but I'm extremely biased on that.

Not sure. They don't take the Gs out anymore anyway. Too much load on their system. LOL when was that museum idea floated around? I seem to remember something like that. Didn't they still have some work Gs on the property at the time? 

2 hours ago, Downsview 108 said:

Not sure. They don't take the Gs out anymore anyway. Too much load on their system. LOL when was that museum idea floated around? I seem to remember something like that. Didn't they still have some work Gs on the property at the time? 

That was floated a few years ago around the time the idea of building a new TTC office building up at Yonge & York Mills was being contemplated due to the shape of 1900 Yonge and other owned real estate, and to consolidate leased office space.  I think it may have been included in that proposed new building.  I don't know if the new building idea is stillborn at this point but the museum idea was pretty much dead on arrival.  I'm not sure if the last of the rail grinding cars was gone at that point or not.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Wayside Observer said:

I don't know if the new building idea is stillborn at this point but the museum idea was pretty much dead on arrival.

If it's the plot of land I'm thinking of, it was picked up by a developer. News of the condo/office/hotel that they planned has been really quiet lately, though.

• Like 1

I would restore an STO MCI TC40-102A (9009-9129, 9201-9223), because they are one of the first things I see when I think about my childhood in Gatineau, and because I think they represent the last moments of an era where things were simpler and better built, where transit agencies were replacing buses that were actually worn out instead of going by a predetermined service life.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Detroit Diesel 6V92TA said:

Either a 1981 Gillig Phantom, an early 80's Neoplan AN440 or a 6V92TA Ikarus USA/American Ikarus 416.

Username checks out

• Like 1

A Flyer E901A or E902. Surely there must be documents and whatnot floating around that would allow for reproduction of discontinued components that can make TRAMS 2805 run again, assuming EPTM disposed of every last one they had.

• Like 1

I'd bring back the B-Line name in Vancouver BC.

Our BRT system is being renamed to something stupid (except one line which is the 99)

On July 26, 2019 at 9:51 AM, blue.bird.fan said:

I'd restore a TTC D40LF. I have a lot of memories of how nice they were on what was then known as 45E.

Even better if it's restored to the original condition that was known to break the occasional window from noise!  That was an impressive feat.

4 hours ago, Wayside Observer said:

Even better if it's restored to the original condition that was known to break the occasional window from noise!  That was an impressive feat.

Really? I never knew that. I knew that the windows vibrated a lot when stopped though.

1 minute ago, blue.bird.fan said:

Really? I never knew that. I knew that the windows vibrated a lot when stopped though.

Yes, back in the early days when they were new, there were complaints that the noise from those buses had broken some shop windows and they got modified as a result of that.

• Thanks 1

I would restore an H6, because those are my favorite subway cars TTC ever had.

• Like 3