I think the Proterra BE40s are suffering a bad spell right now. 6 were parked in the north field this morning while another handful were scattered around the property at 6:50am (when most of service has been dispatched and sent out)

9 hours ago, bus_7246 said:

I think the Proterra BE40s are suffering a bad spell right now. 6 were parked in the north field this morning while another handful were scattered around the property at 6:50am (when most of service has been dispatched and sent out)

Update: there were at least 9 or more beached whale potatoes in the north field this afternoon. Have they temporarily become rotten?

4 hours ago, bus_7246 said:

Update: there were at least 9 or more beached whale potatoes in the north field this afternoon. Have they temporarily become rotten?

Not a surprise, only 5 or 6 of them were out during rush hour recently.  More BYDs are in service recently than Proterras which I can see there must be some issues or warranty work going on with them.  I am wondering if it has anything to do with the cracked window frames according to the TTC's in house preliminary evaluation results?

On 5/15/2021 at 10:48 PM, buschic said:

I did a deputation on this topic at the commission meeting.

I mentioned several safety & accessibility issues with the Proterras, the way the wheelchair spaces are designed, it’s literally an afterthought.

I never seen the proterra, byd is equally if not worse.  Drivers are reminded to check the metal hooks beneath the bench seats (lack of space inside the buses) during the circle check.  they must be folded back in or they will create tripping hazzard.  

I did see at least a proterra at Jet shop the other day when I was doing Warden.

• 3 weeks later...

3704 & 3711 are parked and plugged in at Mt Dennis. Not sure of the reason, but I want to drive one 😎 
7BF3A430-93AD-4632-B94C-564732905CFD.thumb.jpeg.7b477607105d29bd52e26b964d02eb9c.jpeg3C9C3658-45BC-4C78-96E6-8C8F874BB4C3.thumb.jpeg.4942b75d735720dfff330988ecf77cae.jpegD52B29B9-3F5D-4632-ADAE-00657CD780D0.thumb.jpeg.836d409ea4c13f059e07003ae36b45c9.jpeg

Update: these two were visiting. They went back to Arrow probably around 1pm. 

• Like 6
  • 1 month later...

Just wondering, what's going on with the Proterras right now? I don't know I'm just not checking the trackers at the right time but over the last while there's been none out and about, including at rush hours. There were issues mentioned with them back in May but I've heard nothing new on that front since then.

2 hours ago, PCC Guy said:

Just wondering, what's going on with the Proterras right now? I don't know I'm just not checking the trackers at the right time but over the last while there's been none out and about, including at rush hours. There were issues mentioned with them back in May but I've heard nothing new on that front since then.

Probably because they’re being GTA’d

8D135049-A6C9-4026-A065-38CCC321E873.png

• Haha 6

I have been hearing alot of news that the Proterras are on lease. I noticed that a good amount of the Proterras have their electric bus wrap removed. This could be a sign that the Proterras could be sent back and are definitely on lease with the TTC.  The Proterras are going through a good amount of issues. There is a bunch of them just sitting in the field at Mt Dennis for like two months now.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, FabianColeyLOVESBUSES said:

I have been hearing alot of news that the Proterras are on lease. I noticed that a good amount of the Proterras have their electric bus wrap removed. This could be a sign that the Proterras could be sent back and are definitely on lease with the TTC.  The Proterras are going through a good amount of issues. There is a bunch of them just sitting in the field at Mt Dennis for like two months now.

I’m guessing that the curb side wraps are getting scuffed up a bit and being removed based on the scuff damage (personal opinion). 3725, 3728, 3732, 3737 & 3744 are the ones I know of that are missing the curb side wrap. 

3741 was one of the buses that were in the field. I got it on the 32 for my afternoon round trip, and it was dusty all over the dash. I’m assuming that they’re being rotated and diagnosed on an as-needed basis. I wouldn’t be surprised if we don’t end up procuring more of them 

• Like 1
12 hours ago, FabianColeyLOVESBUSES said:

From what I've read, they were purchased not leased.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, bus_7246 said:

I’m guessing that the curb side wraps are getting scuffed up a bit and being removed based on the scuff damage (personal opinion). 3725, 3728, 3732, 3737 & 3744 are the ones I know of that are missing the curb side wrap. 

3741 was one of the buses that were in the field. I got it on the 32 for my afternoon round trip, and it was dusty all over the dash. I’m assuming that they’re being rotated and diagnosed on an as-needed basis. I wouldn’t be surprised if we don’t end up procuring more of them 

Remember the eBus report mention that one of the issue was non-Canadian support staffs cannot come to Canada (COVID board restriction) to diagnose the issues and repair the buses. I assume this is why some of them remain out of service for over a year.

• Like 1

Surely if the buses were leased this would have been noted in the report on the progress of the green bus initiative, and additionally federal PTIF funding was used which I think precludes these being leased buses.

A brief synopsis of ETS's Proterra operations to date:

Edmonton has generally been running their Proterra fleet somewhat reliably as of late after a period of minimal operations that extended from late Fall 2020 - early 2021, after what seemed like a good start with the first 20 buses.
8 buses out of Centennial Garage, 32 out of Andrews.

As of this week all of Andrews buses were in daily operation except for a group of 4 consecutive buses, #8008-8011, with one being MIA since November 2020. Centennial meanwhile has had a hell of a time keeping even 2-3 of their buses operational, with 3 buses in particular being down for 2-3 months now. 

All MIA buses are from the first group of 20, #8000-8019 which were early-mid 2020 built buses.

Nothing official at this point, but, it seems there are some issues with the earlier buses, although the later built buses seems to be doing ok at this point. 

• Like 2
On 7/18/2021 at 8:14 PM, bus_7246 said:

The H2H report on the ebuses mentioned the gelcoat spider cracks, specifically around window corners and by the rear exit doors. I could be wrong, but perhaps the curbside wraps were removed for investigative purposes (I'll defer to your better judgement). 

Off of page 37/58:

"To date, there have been superficial body gelcoat “spider” cracks at the corners of windows, and a significant crack at the rear exit doors in which a campaign is currently ongoing to repair. Coach technicians are unable to determine whether a crack is superficial (gelcoat) or structural. A non-destructive test does not exist today, but Proterra is actively investigating options."

5 minutes ago, Doppelkupplung said:

The H2H report on the ebuses mentioned the gelcoat spider cracks, specifically around window corners and by the rear exit doors. I could be wrong, but perhaps the curbside wraps were removed for investigative purposes (I'll defer to your better judgement). 

Off of page 37/58:

"To date, there have been superficial body gelcoat “spider” cracks at the corners of windows, and a significant crack at the rear exit doors in which a campaign is currently ongoing to repair. Coach technicians are unable to determine whether a crack is superficial (gelcoat) or structural. A non-destructive test does not exist today, but Proterra is actively investigating options."

That’s a logical deduction.

Does anyone find the Proterra interior cabin noise to be deafening? As the bus goes over bumps on the road, the vibrations cause panel clattering which echoes throughout, rivalling the clatter of some NG's nowadays.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, 63 Ossington said:

Does anyone find the Proterra interior cabin noise to be deafening? As the bus goes over bumps on the road, the vibrations cause panel clattering which echoes throughout, rivalling the clatter of some NG's nowadays.

I wouldn't call it deafening, but yes the one ride I got on a Proterra I did notice the panel vibrations. But it's not unusual and not manufacturer-specific, I noticed the same amount of squeaking coming from 1 year old New Flyers, and worse on some 3-4 year old Novas, and definitely on Orions as you mentioned.

Over the last couple of days, I've noticed survey ad banners start to appear in the interior of the BYD buses asking passengers for their opinion on the bus.  There's a QR code on the banner, as well as a link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/ebus3

I'm assuming the New Flyer & Proterra buses also have survey banners with a different URL ending (likely ebus1 and ebus2), but there's no way of telling which vehicle is ebus1 or ebus2 without seeing the ad banner itself.