Jump to content

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, TTCNLFBT said:

Yes, it was going up and down for about three times between VP Stn to Warden Stn via Pharmacy and then eb on St. Clair.

you may be right.  I don't know if there are another BYD plated yet.  For sure there is a training class today. 

 

The hill (Dolphin) at Pharmacy is nothing compare to the hill at Don Mills (near Graydon Haill).  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe it's a perception thing but these K9Ms look smaller than the XE40s and BE40s. Similar length wise to the LFSes. The section between rear door to front wheel is so short and the back doesn't look like it can hold too many seats either. The LFS wasted alot of its length with the curve front end but K9M has a pretty flat front end so I wonder where did all the space go...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Orion V said:

The LFS wasted alot of its length with the curve front end but K9M has a pretty flat front end so I wonder where did all the space go...

Its not the curve, its the shorter wheelbase, meaning a lot has to overhang the front wheels that can't be used for much. I still find the original Orion VII's with the 38 seats the best low floor layout.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, MK78 said:

Its not the curve, its the shorter wheelbase, meaning a lot has to overhang the front wheels that can't be used for much. I still find the original Orion VII's with the 38 seats the best low floor layout.

Not in the rear though. The change made in the rear with NGs made much easier circulation of customers (especially with standees). Still, the 7s as a whole just more spacious, even if it was just 2-3 feet more space behind the wheel wells compared to the LFS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/11/2020 at 1:27 PM, TTCNLFBT said:

Yes, it was going up and down for about three times between VP Stn to Warden Stn via Pharmacy and then eb on St. Clair.

I don’t know much about this subject, they might be doing both Hill Testing AND Operator Orientation at the same time. Maybe they are training operators in the BYDs while mechanics from the depot are tracking how the bus performs on hills. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Urban_Monkey Transit said:

I don’t know much about this subject, they might be doing both Hill Testing AND Operator Orientation at the same time. Maybe they are training operators in the BYDs while mechanics from the depot are tracking how the bus performs on hills. 

maybe. the training route is up to the instructor.  I never drove on the highway on a 40 foot nova training yet I drove a 60 footer Nova on the highway.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I did Nova Hybrid training, instructor said drive anywhere you want. So four of us took turns driving around. We didn't follow any particular route. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Someguy3071 said:

That hill is fun in winter time. I've never driven it in a bus but when I was a kid I used to ride it often. 87 as well with that stupid parking lot. Been on it a few times where backing up was required. 

87 will no longer service East York Acre during snow storms.  Morningside aka Morningslide is another hill is a route I try to avoid during winter.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Someguy3071 said:

I was being sarcastic 😂 That stop sign half way up sure make it more interesting. 

Good. That whole set up is just bad. They could have made a bus loop all the way at the bottom of the hill where the parking lot is. 

As a West-Ender I’ve tried in the regular weather on a DD50 and it freaked me right out

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I assume they want more information from the industry before going into the market for buses.

And I could be mistaken, in one of the TTC meetings there was talk of sending out an RFP late this year for buses. I forget if it was talked about before Covid lockdown or just at the beginning.

Request for information on Hybird and Battery Electric Buses

TTC is looking for information about BEBs or HEVs that comply with the following requirements: 

  • Must be certified by Transport Canada to be registered and operated in Canada
  • Must be a low-floor bus design between front & rear exit doors (minimum)
  • Must be compliant with the Accessibility for Ontarians Act - AODA requirements and Canadian Standard Association (CSA) Standard D345 
  • Must have large on-board energy storage capacity and utilize overnight garage depot charging
  • Must be capable of operating at ambient temperatures between -10° C and 35°C 
  • May be required to meet TTC Canadian Content requirements (25%) subject to funding  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/29/2020 at 11:14 AM, FlyerD901 said:

TTC is looking for information about BEBs or HEVs that comply with the following requirements: 

  • Must be capable of operating at ambient temperatures between -10° C and 35°C 

Huh, I wonder if they're counting on global warming? Otherwise, we have a fleet that could behave like the CLRVs in their later days, unable to go out when the polar vortex strikes.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ed T. said:

Huh, I wonder if they're counting on global warming? Otherwise, we have a fleet that could behave like the CLRVs in their later days, unable to go out when the polar vortex strikes.

Worst case scenario, you plumb the passenger heat wabasto into the batteries’ liquid cooling circuit.

As for the pneumatic systems, they’ll use the same dryer as the diesel and hybrid fleet, so expect identical performance in that department.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/30/2020 at 3:57 PM, Bus_Medic said:

Worst case scenario, you plumb the passenger heat wabasto into the batteries’ liquid cooling circuit.

As for the pneumatic systems, they’ll use the same dryer as the diesel and hybrid fleet, so expect identical performance in that department.

Do you mean an all diesel fleet with the ones using the mechanical transmission and the others with the electric generator? Hybrid buses are already clean diesels though.

2 hours ago, Shemar said:

#3718 has entered service on route 96A Wilson

More to go?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Express Network said:

More to go?

8 new flyers left to enter service: (#3712, #3715, #3719-#3724).

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Express Network said:

Do you mean an all diesel fleet with the ones using the mechanical transmission and the others with the electric generator? Hybrid buses are already clean diesels though.

What?

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3747 was testing/training/breaking in (I don't know what it was doing but it was one of those three for sure) earlier on Weston Road. Still no e-bus wrap yet.Image

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...