Had a chance to try out the Proterra this evening. Much has been said about its unattractive exterior design, but in all honesty I find myself more vexed by the interior. The choice of nearly all perimeter seating in the LF section, as compared to the more intrusive 2+1 seating, is a plus, but the lack of a dedicated standee area, though nothing new, is sorely felt, and the bars in the rear door area are ridiculous. Great work, let's cut back on the already limited amount of standee room even more.

The rear high floor area is really crappily arranged. Is there a design consideration that prevents all these low floor buses from having the rear set up like the high floor buses of old (all perimeter seating shunted up against the wall)? Those were so much better. Seems the wheel wells on all these LF buses jut out way more.

And what the hell is this? I really wish they'd just cut the seat seen to the left hand of this photo, and just made this into a proper standee area that an adult could fit in.

Christ, I miss the Orion Vs.

proterra 9.png

• Like 4

Yeah thats stupid. Im sure its just for the wheelchair anchors. I've never seen anyone ever latch their wheelchair or mobility device into one of those seatbelt things, for as long as I've been riding in LF buses in Toronto, for me started  with the Orion VII's.

Myself I still prefer the Orion VII OG seating arrangement. 38 seats, and filled the rear floor as much as they could.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, PCC Guy said:

though nothing new, is sorely felt, and the bars in the rear door area are ridiculous. Great work, let's cut back on the already limited amount of standee room even more.

I suppose they didn't want to risk getting straps, laces etc stuck in the sliding door mechanism. Can't beat the interior space benefits of swing-out doors eh? Times like these make you appreciate any Orion interior layout; its the most intelligently designed in the fleet atm. 

38 minutes ago, PCC Guy said:

And what the hell is this? I really wish they'd just cut the seat seen to the left hand of this photo, and just made this into a proper standee area that an adult could fit in.

Christ, I miss the Orion Vs.

Guess there's probably a reason for doing that; though it would've been an ideal spot to put a mother and child seat, like on the Flexities (should dimensions allow). But heck I'm fine with that standing area, especially if it means I don't have to smell someone's breath. 

• Like 1

The problem in the high floor section is the size of the wheel housing due to the design of the axle. Putting all perimeter seats there makes for a narrow aisle. A seating arrangement like New York or Philadelphia appears to give a bit more space with less legs in the aisle.

• Thanks 4

37 minutes ago, Someguy3071 said:

Post in sightings thread like discussed earlier. 

This is #3734's first day in service so it is appropriate to post it here.

• Like 4

3731 went out for PM rush service last night. Caught it on 141 Mount Pleasant Express. Can't wait to catch one on the 14/28 Interlining.

IMG_1929.jpg

thumb_IMG_1932_1024.jpg

5 hours ago, Etienne said:

3731 went out for PM rush service last night. Caught it on 141 Mount Pleasant Express. Can't wait to catch one on the 14/28 Interlining.

IMG_1929.jpg

thumb_IMG_1932_1024.jpg

This is the type of posts that are intended for the Today’s Sightings thread

Talking about sightings or rather the lack of sightings, I noticed very few XE40s head out now recently. Normally by now there would have been 4-5 of them out but there's just one heading out onto the 119. I'm waiting till they admit they aren't making expectations

3 hours ago, Xtrazsteve said:

Talking about sightings or rather the lack of sightings, I noticed very few XE40s head out now recently. Normally by now there would have been 4-5 of them out but there's just one heading out onto the 119. I'm waiting till they admit they aren't making expectations

I wonder if its simply range, or other reliability issues. And it hasn't even been a super cold winter so far where the range would be more negatively affected.

On 1/16/2020 at 6:19 AM, Xtrazsteve said:

Langillie's probably wouldn't mind making a few extra bucks /s

4 hours ago, Shemar said:

A BYD has been delivered to Eglinton. It's parked inside the garage.

Hehe, officially? I think it's been reported that a BYD was once at Eglinton, but went back. I guess we'll find out if its here to stay if it starts tracking soon.

6 hours ago, Shemar said:

A BYD has been delivered to Eglinton. It's parked inside the garage.

2 are at the divison at the moment.

• Like 1

TTC has accepted one of the two BYD buses delivered last day.  It had received the fleet number 3754 and of course the company's logo.  From the looks of it, it is very unlikely it will receive the yellow wrap like the other electric buses.  

3754 doesn't have a license plate plate 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 1/26/2020 at 5:42 PM, leylandvictory2 said:

TTC has accepted one of the two BYD buses delivered last day.  It had received the fleet number 3754 and of course the company's logo.  From the looks of it, it is very unlikely it will receive the yellow wrap like the other electric buses.  

3754 doesn't have a license plate plate 

#3750 also arrived.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1