45 minutes ago, Cityflyer said:

The Proterras remind me of the 45C Metro that NABI had. Though not as long but it got me wondering if the extra length is just for the electric parts and they can't accommodate more seats?

I think they’re exploiting the weight savings of a composite body allowing them to stretch it for more batteries, increasing range, and accommodating more passengers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It may be also worth noting: some of the batteries are also under the floor between the front and rear axle.

• Thanks 3

5 hours ago, Bus_Medic said:

Uh, I drive them too. The short wheelbase is most definitely a mixed blessing.

Yeah I guess its a personal preference. My friend said he prefers the shorter wheelbase Nova's.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Young said:

Which route do you think they will test the Proterra BE40 on first?  like how the XE40s were tested on 35 Jane

Wouldn't it makes sense to test them on the same routes? (Where garage placement allows)

But I don’t believe that would work given that each division recieving the electric buses can do that. The only division that will be a feasible option to exercise would be Eglinton when all 3 models will be operating out of there late this year/early 2020

8 hours ago, MK78 said:

Yes the overhangs are an issue, but if the traffic moves out of the way you can make a turn around a corner. At least that's the way a friend operator explained it to me when he first started driving the Nova LFS, and had a couple close "tail swing" incidents. But he said once he got used to the Nova LFS turning, he preferred it over the Orions in tight spaces.

you should see the scrape marks on the concrete blocks at Kennedy Station.  Don Mills Station layover area is an easy area to scratch the bus with large tail swings like the Nova.  Van Hool 40 foot and school buses have the worse tail swings.  

14 hours ago, Orion V said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7z8tUL8oLXM

Someone already did an external walkthrough at the garage.

The rear row only has 4 seats and the front has a crap load of sideway facing seats.

And once again it's Insight instead of Gemini seats.

Not liking the placement of the rear destination sign. 

10 hours ago, leylandvictory2 said:

you should see the scrape marks on the concrete blocks at Kennedy Station.  Don Mills Station layover area is an easy area to scratch the bus with large tail swings like the Nova.  Van Hool 40 foot and school buses have the worse tail swings.  

With Novas you not only have to watch the tail swing, but they also ride lower so the bottom of the front end is easy to scratch if you bring it over the platform or the curb. It's very annoying.  With Orion 7's this is not an issue. 

11 hours ago, leylandvictory2 said:

Yeah, I have witnessed several tail swing scratches waiting at Kennedy. And yes, school buses have a huge tail swing, since the axle is so far in.

5 hours ago, MAX BRT said:

I didn't expect the rear window to be so small.

Yeah it's pretty small. They should get rid of the window and put the destination sign up high in the centre. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Someguy3071 said:

Yeah it's pretty small. They should get rid of the window and put the destination sign up high in the centre. 

IIRC the rear window on the Proterra is standard. It is also an emergency exit window. If one of those under floor battery modules decides to have an unscheduled thermal event, the safest way out for the rear passengers would be through the rear window.

Why make the change to the older Insight seats rather than putting the newer seats (as seen on 34xx Novas) on the New Flyers and Proterras?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, anyfong said:

Why make the change to the older Insight seats rather than putting the newer seats (as seen on 34xx Novas) on the New Flyers and Proterras?

I concur. Especially since these electric buses are delivered with all the new amenities the 31xx+ batch has unless the Gemini seats costs an arm and a leg or TTC found a flaw in it.

7 hours ago, Cityflyer said:

I concur. Especially since these electric buses are delivered with all the new amenities the 31xx+ batch has unless the Gemini seats costs an arm and a leg or TTC found a flaw in it.

Could be many reasons. They cost too much, they were ordered with Insight, or Gemini isn't available with Proterra Buses.

• Thanks 1

On 8/27/2019 at 8:55 AM, Someguy3071 said:

Not liking the placement of the rear destination sign. 

With Novas you not only have to watch the tail swing, but they also ride lower so the bottom of the front end is easy to scratch if you bring it over the platform or the curb. It's very annoying.  With Orion 7's this is not an issue. 

actually no.  When Orion 7 is kneeled the ramp sometimes get stuck on the curbs at Pape and Don Mills station.  If the drivers expect the ramp to be deployed, either the driver won't kneel the bus or move the bus a bit away from the curb.  

2 hours ago, Jan Boic said:

Could be many reasons. They cost too much, they were ordered with Insight, or Gemini isn't available with Proterra Buses.

Gemini seats are definitely available on Proterra buses. I found this photo a long time ago of a demo from a website that doesn't seem to exist anymore.

b14.jpg

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, anyfong said:

long time ago

a website that doesn't seem to exist anymore.

How exactly is that evidence that they’re available now?

• Like 4

3 hours ago, leylandvictory2 said:

actually no.  When Orion 7 is kneeled the ramp sometimes get stuck on the curbs at Pape and Don Mills station.  If the drivers expect the ramp to be deployed, either the driver won't kneel the bus or move the bus a bit away from the curb.  

Actually yes!! I drive both so I know what I'm talking about. 

I'm not talking about lowering the bus at the platform. I'm talking about driving the front of the bus over top of the platform or sidewalk. Since the front wheels are way back I can have the front of the bus over top of things. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Bus_Medic said:

How exactly is that evidence that they’re available now?

Because the interior design of the bus hasn't changed at all.

24 minutes ago, anyfong said:

Because the interior design of the bus hasn't changed at all.

Being capable of prototyping something, and actually following through to production are two different things.

Jan & I never said they can’t. We’re saying they aren’t.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Someguy3071 said:

Actually yes!! I drive both so I know what I'm talking about. 

I'm not talking about lowering the bus at the platform. I'm talking about driving the front of the bus over top of the platform or sidewalk. Since the front wheels are way back I can have the front of the bus over top of things. 

Actually since you bring that up, I remember older TTC buses, usually high floors, having some kind of bash plate under the front door for protection from the curb when rolling up to and hanging over it or kneeling? (don’t quote me on that). I’ll try to find a photo. You won’t find them on newer buses as far as I’ve seen.

Pretty certain I’ve seen the plate suspended at an angle, with the rearmost side closer to the ground, the front side higher up. I think this might be it in the photo. I’m pretty sure someone will know what I’m talking about here. 

0E3F3DD7-3B10-43E5-97B6-90FAE8F5CE94.jpeg