6 hours ago, Bus_Medic said:

The xcelsior electric has exterior door buttons as well, (much to the consternation of the operators) so it’s HVAC can operate as efficiently as possible, maximizing range.

The buttons on the Proterra are also on interior, the rear doors are sliding plug doors like those on the Flexity LRVs

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Bus_Medic said:

The xcelsior electric has exterior door buttons as well, (much to the consternation of the operators) so it’s HVAC can operate as efficiently as possible, maximizing range.

And yet the TTC still specs the rear door to remain open for 5 seconds once they've been opened.

Dan

11 minutes ago, smallspy said:

And yet the TTC still specs the rear door to remain open for 5 seconds once they've been opened.

Dan

🤷‍♂️ 

23 minutes ago, TTC Guy said:

Why is there no decals and numbers?

Based of photos I've seen, they arrived in Canada all white.

• Thanks 2

I just saw the unknown Proterra at Mt. Dennis, it’s inside the division right in the front of a bay along the back of the division. They had turned it on and were testing the destination sign among other things.

57 minutes ago, TTC Guy said:

Why is there no decals and numbers?

Just like the Flyer's, they will recieve their numbers amd electric decals at the yard.

23 minutes ago, TTC 9701 said:

Just like the Flyer's, they will recieve their numbers amd electric decals at the yard.

The numbers were already applied prior to delivery, no? I remember 3700 had its decals intact upon arrival. The yellow decal was added afterwards 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, bus_7246 said:

The numbers were already applied prior to delivery, no? I remember 3700 had its decals intact upon arrival. The yellow decal was added afterwards 

In this case, I guess not. 

Idle speculation here, but maybe they’re pressed for time, to meet a contract due date, and decided to prioritize delivery even if minor details are incomplete....

...Or maybe they haven’t even figured out were to place all the decals, and they’re spitballing this one out as the prototype for the others to follow.

7 hours ago, 2044 said:

Based of photos I've seen, they arrived in Canada all white.

That is correct from what we were told by the Proterra rep when the bus was being delivered. The bus was then painted at MTB before being delivered to Mt Dennis.

6 hours ago, TTC Guy said:

I just saw the unknown Proterra at Mt. Dennis, it’s inside the division right in the front of a bay along the back of the division. They had turned it on and were testing the destination sign among other things.

The fleet # of this one is supposed to be 3725. 

• Like 5

13 hours ago, leylandvictory2 said:

the city better do a better job at plowing the bus stops during winter.  The stop is barely long enough for the regular bus to open the front and the back door at the same time.  

It's not like they can guarantee that at existing vehicle door spacing, like the one on Coxwell Avenue where I often disembarked onto a snow pile this winter.

14 hours ago, BusFanForever said:

The fleet # of this one is supposed to be 3725.

Would you happen to know the fleet range for the Proterras???

3 minutes ago, Shemar said:

Would you happen to know the fleet range for the Proterras???

Based on this information I would assume it would be:

NFI XE40- 3700-3724

Proterra ‘Catalyst’ BE40- 3725-3749

BYD K9M- 3750-3759

This May not be the case so don’t rage on me if I am incorrect. 

Which route do you think they will test the Proterra BE40 on first?  like how the XE40s were tested on 35 Jane

1 hour ago, Young said:

Which route do you think they will test the Proterra BE40 on first?  like how the XE40s were tested on 35 Jane

If they really want exposure, the 6 Bay would be my choice.  We'll probably not see them in service till early October.

• Like 1

On 8/23/2019 at 6:32 PM, Jan Boic said:

E1870202-0F56-4995-B6FB-70C6A4BD1159.jpeg

Wow, that looks like really long wheelbase? Is it longer than the Orion VII's? seems like so.

48 minutes ago, MK78 said:

Wow, that looks like really long wheelbase? Is it longer than the Orion VII's? seems like so.

The Proterras are 42.5ft long. Longest standard bus the TTC has.

As for wheelbase, maybe it's similar to the RTS?

Ah so it's also physically longer. But I looked it up, and the Proterra BE40 has a 296 inch wheelbase,  Orion VII's (40ft) 286 inches. So I was definitely right that it seemed longer. Not a good thing when you have to make tight turns especially downtown.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, MK78 said:

Ah so it's also physically longer. But I looked it up, and the Proterra BE40 has a 296 inch wheelbase,  Orion VII's (40ft) 286 inches. So I was definitely right that it seemed longer. Not a good thing when you have to make tight turns especially downtown.

The opposite, short wheelbase and  long blind overhangs isn’t ideal either.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Bus_Medic said:

The opposite, short wheelbase and  long blind overhangs isn’t ideal either.

Yes the overhangs are an issue, but if the traffic moves out of the way you can make a turn around a corner. At least that's the way a friend operator explained it to me when he first started driving the Nova LFS, and had a couple close "tail swing" incidents. But he said once he got used to the Nova LFS turning, he preferred it over the Orions in tight spaces.

11 minutes ago, MK78 said:

Yes the overhangs are an issue, but if the traffic moves out of the way you can make a turn around a corner. At least that's the way a friend operator explained it to me when he first started driving the Nova LFS, and had a couple close "tail swing" incidents. But he said once he got used to the Nova LFS turning, he preferred it over the Orions in tight spaces.

Uh, I drive them too. The short wheelbase is most definitely a mixed blessing.

• Like 1

The Proterras remind me of the 45C Metro that NABI had. Though not as long but it got me wondering if the extra length is just for the electric parts and they can't accommodate more seats?