TTC Electric Buses

• Root Admin
On 4/20/2019 at 12:07 AM, Someguy3071 said:

It might function but that doesn't make this a good design. Drive a bus and you'll understand what were talking about. 

Been a driver for over 10 years, including acting supervisor for a year. You’re entitled to your opinions. 

• Like 1

• Root Admin
1 hour ago, Shaun said:

So you pull on it and it opens the door?

It operates the same as the metal handle. Its just a dial. This model has been available for a number of years now from vapor. I believe one of the TTC Nova LFS' had it for a brief period. This is meant for simpler and faster use with just one hand.

• Thanks 2

Orion 7 design is my favorite. Followed by Nova where you do everything with your left hand and your fingers line up with the switches when you push the door handle forward. This seems more complicated to use and less intuitive.  I find the shorter handle in new Novas annoying,  nevermind actually having a dial switch. 

7 hours ago, Someguy3071 said:

? But I'll still say it's not a very good design. 

explain? instead of moving your whole forearm you now flick a wrist. and the other buttons are all readily accessible as well.

2 minutes ago, Ber said:

explain? instead of moving your whole forearm you now flick a wrist. and the other buttons are all readily accessible as well.

Handle is very easy to put your hand on without ever having to look down. And with the amount of time we operate those doors I'd rather be pushing my arm forward then rotating my wrist. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Someguy3071 said:

Orion 7 design is my favorite. Followed by Nova where you do everything with your left hand and your fingers line up with the switches when you push the door handle forward. This seems more complicated to use and less intuitive.  I find the shorter handle in new Novas annoying,  nevermind actually having a dial switch. 

As J boic explains, youre opinion is welcome, but its a fan''s opinion with no substance or justification. Time will tell if this control stays or goes. Until then, let the professionals make the call.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Ber said:

As J boic explains, youre opinion is welcome, but its a fan''s opinion with no substance or justification. Time will tell if this control stays or goes. Until then, let the professionals make the call.

I'm not a fan. I drive these buses that's why I'm expressing my opinion.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Coming from a driver's point of view, I like the handle better but I'm open to adjusting to using a dial. The one thing I'm opposed to is the position of the ramp buttons. If y'all wanna keep having this "discussion", you might as well move it to the PM section because this thread is for new buses, not arguing over how a door is opened.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 5/1/2019 at 8:43 AM, TechnicaProductions said:

3700 is likely to start going out on test runs soon. It was doing loops around Arrow yesterday from what I was told

3700 is currently doing training per TransSee

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Benton Harper said:

Would you happen to have a link to an official channel/source of this information?

Hard to see how build quality is already an issue before delivery.  The late delivery is a given...

I too am skeptical about this, especially as the TTC had already allocated numbers to those units.

I guess we shall see....

Dan

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Benton Harper said:

Would you happen to have a link to an official channel/source of this information?

Hard to see how build quality is already an issue before delivery.  The late delivery is a given...

Mentioned at the board meeting today. They might still pick up the option later as they are still in discussions with BYD.

https://youtu.be/lM77WT-E9WQ?t=730

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hopefully more comes out about this. Schedule concerns, not a surprise. However, the interesting one is quality concerns. TTC must have staff or representatives checking out buses in production and they must not like what they see if quality is a concern at this stage. It's pretty typical for agencies procuring vehicles to have representatives inspecting vehicles at the manufacturers facility. Guess we'll see what more becomes of this.

• Like 3