TTC Electric Buses

2 hours ago, Young said:

And also with mount Dennis having the most routes using artics it would make logical sense to put the New Flyer XDE60s at mount dennis cause realistically why would Malvern or McNicoll need more artics for only 1 route which is Malvern:985 and McNicoll:953

McNicoll needs more artics for the 939. So if MtD gets all 68 XDE60s, then most of their diesel artics will probably go to McNicoll. 927 doesn't need to move to MtD. Reallocating the artics from the 36 is the simplest thing to do. Wilson is gonna need buses to replace their 17 NG HEVs, probably nova diesels. As mentioned already, Malvern will probably get Arrow's nova hybrids to replace their NG HEVs. MtD currently uses their artics on the 29, 929, 941. The only other route that could use them is probably the 935. The 35 would be a horrible idea because that would result in reduced service and more gaps. We already saw what artics did to the 41.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Shemar said:

McNicoll needs more artics for the 939. So if MtD gets all 68 XDE60s, then most of their diesel artics will probably go to McNicoll. 927 doesn't need to move to MtD. Reallocating the artics from the 36 is the simplest thing to do. Wilson is gonna need buses to replace their 17 NG HEVs, probably nova diesels. As mentioned already, Malvern will probably get Arrow's nova hybrids to replace their NG HEVs. MtD currently uses their artics on the 29, 929, 941. The only other route that could use them is probably the 935. The 35 would be a horrible idea because that would result in reduced service and more gaps. We already saw what artics did to the 41.

Yea and that would leave mount Dennis with the XDE40s,Some of the new Nova Hybrids and 68 of the XDE60’s 

1 hour ago, Young said:

Yea and that would leave mount Dennis with the XDE40s,Some of the new Nova Hybrids and 68 of the XDE60’s 

Perhaps they can retain some Orion hybrids will ebuses phase them all out. It only make sense for all the hybrid flyers to stay at one place so they don't have to train another division for operation and maintenance while stockpiling parts in multiple place. 

This is going to be weird to see MtD transform from a Orion VII division to a Flyer division. I guess it's' the same feeling when Novas phased out the Orions. I guess Queensway still has their handmedowns for now ?

• Like 1

I heard that Mount Dennis is confirmed to  be an all New Flyer division while keeping some Nova Artics. I heard that 3494 to 3639 from Arrow would go to Malvern and Arrow would get the newer batch of Nova Hybrids. I guess will have to wait and see.  Does anyone know when they will award the electric bus order? I heard it could be split between Nova and New Flyer.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, FabianColeyLOVESBUSES said:

I heard that Mount Dennis is confirmed to  be an all New Flyer division while keeping some Nova Artics. I heard that 3494 to 3639 from Arrow would go to Malvern and Arrow would get the newer batch of Nova Hybrids. I guess will have to wait and see.  Does anyone know when they will award the electric bus order? I heard it could be split between Nova and New Flyer.

It would make more sense to send the new Nova hybrids to Malvern were the buses they're replacing are.

The Electric bus order was supposed to be awarded back in Sept. I wonder if they're second guessing such a large of somewhat unproven technology?

If I remember correctly, TTC has an option for more buses from Flyer if the electric order isn't successful. Or maybe it was simply just an option for more buses unrelated to the electric order.

With supply chain issues happening I'm sure we won't see any of these buses anytime soon, possibly early next year. 

22 minutes ago, FlyerD901 said:

It would make more sense to send the new Nova hybrids to Malvern were the buses they're replacing are.

The Electric bus order was supposed to be awarded back in Sept. I wonder if they're second guessing such a large of somewhat unproven technology?

If I remember correctly, TTC has an option for more buses from Flyer if the electric order isn't successful. Or maybe it was simply just an option for more buses unrelated to the electric order.

With supply chain issues happening I'm sure we won't see any of these buses anytime soon, possibly early next year. 

What’s the difference if Malvern gets Nova Hybrids from Arrow or the brand new order?

On 10/19/2022 at 11:44 AM, FlyerD901 said:

The TTC's NFI order includes 363 additional options which could be exercised in the next 4 years, in addition to the 202 firm orders:

134 Xcelsior forty-foot hybrid-electric buses,

68 Xcelsior sixty-foot hybrid-electric buses.

The two four-year contracts include options for up to an additional 263 forty-foot hybrid-electric buses and 100 sixty-foot buses, respectively.

On 10/21/2022 at 11:58 PM, dre said:

Some the artics will be going east to help with the closure of the rt in 3 plus years from now

There is no dedicated line 3 shuttle planned. The busiest routes are being extended to Kennedy and some like 939 would be converted to artics. 985A and possibly the 903 (renumbered from 913) would use artics.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/24/2022 at 1:55 PM, Shemar said:

3721 is heading back to Birchmount

EDIT: 3720 is heading back to Birchmount as well. They are being swapped with the 92xx at Birchmount 

On 10/12/2022 at 11:21 PM, Tom1122 said:

3723 and 3724 are back at Arrow Road instead of Birchmount.

On 10/13/2022 at 1:20 AM, Shemar said:

They bounce back and forth between Arrow and Birchmount from time to time.

On 10/13/2022 at 5:15 PM, Toro said:

3721 3724 are on 952 so they are definitely still arrow buses.

On 10/16/2022 at 4:10 PM, TTC Guy said:

For the family day event, not training 

Spoke to the Richard Klos of Bus Management, specifically for the XE40s ,at the MtD Family Day event, he told me that 10 pantograph chargers had just been installed at Bmt and testing is in progress with 2 buses, after the testing is complete, training will commence for operators. 10 units (3715-3724) will move to Bmt and are projected to enter service in mid-late November. 

Now these buses are back at Birchmount: #3715, #3720, #3721, #3723, #3724. Among them is #3740 which is visiting from Mount Dennis.

#3716-#3719, #3722 are still at Arrow Road, on routes 952, 36F, 996 and 36D respectively.

Come to think of it, when will training for the operators begin and how long the testing will last?

15 hours ago, Kumiko Oumae said:

Now these buses are back at Birchmount: #3715, #3720, #3721, #3723, #3724. Among them is #3740 which is visiting from Mount Dennis.

#3716-#3719, #3722 are still at Arrow Road, on routes 952, 36F, 996 and 36D respectively.

Come to think of it, when will training for the operators begin and how long the testing will last?

I’d assume operator training is being done now

• Like 1

16 hours ago, TTC Guy said:

I’d assume operator training is being done now

I see, I wonder when will they enter revenue service from Birchmount. Will it be possible to have them running on routes that service Main Street to Kennedy stations since they’re close to Birchmount Garage? Only time will tell.

4 hours ago, TTC7957 said:

Due to a “critical safety issue” and numerous other problems with the BYD bus fleet such as height clearance and battery/electric issues, they have been permanently removed from service.

If true, good riddance. I hope the TTC learned from their mistake.

7 hours ago, TTC7957 said:

Due to a “critical safety issue” and numerous other problems with the BYD bus fleet such as height clearance and battery/electric issues, they have been permanently removed from service.

At least that’s what I heard..

I would like to see an official statement before it can be considered true. If so that's not going to look very good on BYD. A few bus systems returned or canceled their orders.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, G.A said:

I would like to see an official statement before it can be considered true. If so that's not going to look very good on BYD. A few bus systems returned or canceled their orders.

Yeah for sure, but tbh I wouldn't be too surprised. The buses never were able to fit through some overpasses in city due to the height, safety issues (which they never disclosed to the public), battery discharge issues and electrical system issues, and a buggy system in general along with quality control problems. You'd think after all the garbage the city has ordered in the past they'd learn by now, but they definitely didn't. BYD bus #3752 actually came back to the city recently (not sure if it's still here), I think a week or two ago. It was the only unit here and it wasn't even on TTC property, it was at 843 Eastern Avenue (311 City Vehicle maintenance area). I guess lets see what happens because there is bound to be an official announcement or something soon about the situation eventually...

40 minutes ago, TTC7957 said:

The buses never were able to fit through some overpasses in city due to the height, safety issues (which they never disclosed to the public),

How did they even accept them into service to begin with? surely they must have measured the height when they arrived.

9 minutes ago, MK78 said:

How did they even accept them into service to begin with? surely they must have measured the height when they arrived.

I'm not aware of any specific on-road locations where the BYDs were restricted from; but that's not saying they may not exist somewhere in the City.

The one incident I am aware of occurred inside Don Mills Station; the height limit for BYDs over the roadway was fine, but one bus mounted the curb as they were turning out of a platform, and that allowed the bus to come into contact with the mechanical ventilation over the passenger platforms.

5 hours ago, TTC7957 said:

Yeah for sure, but tbh I wouldn't be too surprised. The buses never were able to fit through some overpasses in city due to the height, safety issues (which they never disclosed to the public), battery discharge issues and electrical system issues, and a buggy system in general along with quality control problems. You'd think after all the garbage the city has ordered in the past they'd learn by now, but they definitely didn't. BYD bus #3752 actually came back to the city recently (not sure if it's still here), I think a week or two ago. It was the only unit here and it wasn't even on TTC property, it was at 843 Eastern Avenue (311 City Vehicle maintenance area). I guess lets see what happens because there is bound to be an official announcement or something soon about the situation eventually...

So where are the others? Scrap station or BYD's plant in Newmarket?