TTC Electric Buses

6 hours ago, FabianColeyLOVESBUSES said:

I saw the demo on the flatbed truck at Arrow Road Garage today its heading to other cities for trial I was told by the flatbed truck driver. The employees at Arrow Road loved it though except for the windows. I  got to speak to some folks I know at the Division. 

Whats wrong with the windows?

12 hours ago, Bus_Medic said:

Frameless flush windows, demos tend to have all the bells and whistles. A non issue in a bulk order to our standard spec.

Ah, right...

Are frameless windows less durable, or harder to repair/replace? or  is it just the question of upfront cost.

Any idea if Hillcrest presently has a place to charge electric buses. Presumably 3728 will be taken to Hillcrest for repairs. Once the bus is fixed, would it be able to be charged or would it just be towed back to Mount Dennis (Hopefully properly this time! ? )

On 11/28/2021 at 6:44 AM, FabianColeyLOVESBUSES said:

There is actually two Nova full electric bus prototypes at Arrow Road. The LFSE and the LFSE+. I guess TTC might consider ordering some electric buses from Nova in the future.

So what's the difference between the LFSE and the LFSE+?

On 11/27/2021 at 5:56 PM, Tom1122 said:

I wonder if the incident with 3728 will cause TTC to reconsider getting a fleet of their own tow trucks.

I'm surprised the TTC doesn't have their own Tow Trucks? I thought they did? OC has I think 1 or 2 of their own, I would of thoght the TTC would have at least 1 or 2 of their own considering the size of their bus fleet?

4 hours ago, MCIBUS said:

So what's the difference between the LFSE and the LFSE+?

I'm surprised the TTC doesn't have their own Tow Trucks? I thought they did? OC has I think 1 or 2 of their own, I would of thoght the TTC would have at least 1 or 2 of their own considering the size of their bus fleet?

One is charged at the garage, the other is charged throughout the day at the ends of its route.

The TTC never had dedicated tow trucks, and would flat tow their buses using two mechanics, a service truck  and a drawbar. This practice ended in the early 1990s, and they’ve been subcontracting out all towing since.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Tom1122 said:

Any idea if Hillcrest presently has a place to charge electric buses. Presumably 3728 will be taken to Hillcrest for repairs. Once the bus is fixed, would it be able to be charged or would it just be towed back to Mount Dennis (Hopefully properly this time! ? )

No chargers at Hillcrest last time I was there several months ago. Some Proterras have sat out of service for months without being charged had little to no high voltage battery drain. The 24v batteries drain after a week or so but once they are boosted and the bus is turned on, the high voltage system takes over and the bus can be driven. 

The Protera's have had success in other places I wonder why the TTC is having such bad luck with them? 

I can understand New Flyers success, seeing that they have taken an existing bus and converted it to an EV. They have a baseline to start with.

So the question is, what do do with a bunch of oddball poorly performing EV buses? 

Keep then around and run them as they are able to? But then maintenance and parts for such a small fleet is expensive. 

Or sell them off to the highest bidder? But who would want them? Possibly the manufacturer would buy them back to not tarnish their reputation?

3 hours ago, Shaun said:

The Protera's have had success in other places I wonder why the TTC is having such bad luck with them? 

So the question is, what do do with a bunch of oddball poorly performing EV buses? 

You are perhaps jumping to conclusions. Wait for the TTC's final report.

Edmonton's Proterra's have had some teething issues which did look pretty grim at times. Right now there's about 5 MIA buses. That is a SIGNIFICANT improvement from 1 year ago. Longest block we are aware of was 15 hours long. There might have even been a 16 hour block, so, as they've learned more about the buses the utilization has improved. 

I would imagine the same thing will play out with the TTC with improvements over the first report.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, M. Parsons said:

You are perhaps jumping to conclusions. Wait for the TTC's final report.

Edmonton's Proterra's have had some teething issues which did look pretty grim at times. Right now there's about 5 MIA buses. That is a SIGNIFICANT improvement from 1 year ago. Longest block we are aware of was 15 hours long. There might have even been a 16 hour block, so, as they've learned more about the buses the utilization has improved. 

I would imagine the same thing will play out with the TTC with improvements over the first report.

I hope so. A number of them have been out of service for months. This is probably due to parts and warranty issues. 

TTC also have a tendency to put them on shorter blocks in the winter months. So each unit won't do more than 8-10 hours each day over the two rush hour blocks.

• 3 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Articulated said:

This could also go into the Missing in Action buses thread, but 3752 has reappeared in service today for the first time since September 7th. This now brings the total of functioning BYD buses back up to 3: 3752, 3753, and 3755. 3754 used to be the third serviceable one, but it hasn't been out since December 22nd.

Can confirm, rode 3752 this morning on 67B Pharmacy.  

I was planning to write a longer post elsewhere in a different thread but the day got away from me today, so 11:09 PM, I'll put a quick one here:

30 years ago was a grim day in North Toronto.  All fall and early winter, riding the Flyers twice a day every day and seeing them running while I was out and about was a surreal experience knowing that it was a death watch and the clock was ticking fast on the whole thing getting shut down.  The third week of December came and 61 Nortown and 74 Mount Pleasant went a few days early.  Then, on December 28, 1991, was the end of electric buses out of Eglinton when the last 103 Nortown East of the night went out of service.  And that was it, electric bus service in our neighbourhood was gone, completely gone.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
21 hours ago, BusDude said:

How are the electric buses doing with all this snow?

I heard that they use diesel heaters during the winter. All I know is that our XE40's (I'm from Chicago by the way) have those. I don't know about our Proterra BE40's.

By the way, the TTC is doing a better job than the CTA at environmental sustainability as they're getting more hybrid and electric buses in their fleet. The CTA just keeps ordering a hell lot of diesel NovaBus LFS's.

On 1/27/2022 at 8:14 AM, TTC Guy said:

The E-bus convoy has started up again using 3701, 3732 and 3755. I caught them mirroring the 79 on Monday morning 

D058E0D1-D457-404F-AF41-A21CC9BA7035.jpeg

Saw the convoy on Steeles west of Weston around 12:30 pm. The three buses were signed up as Training buses

• Like 1

Has the TTC produced any updated report on the reliability of the electric bus test fleet?

I hope they will have enough sense not to buy into any large purchase because of political pressure - if these vehicles can't hack it.

I'm also curious if they will end up also testing the Nova LFSe at some point.