TTC Electric Buses

On 9/30/2020 at 10:41 AM, Shaun said:

I find it interesting because electric buses are fairly simple, there is an electric motor, connected to a battery. The software determines how much power to put out or regenerate, much like a GO Cart.  It's much simpler than a conventional diesel bus.  If range is an issue, it could be with the software that allows too much power to be sent out to the wheels or not enough Re-gen.  Or it's simply an issue with the batteries not holding the charge that they where designed to. 

So you have an electric motor connected to a battery and some software.  Can you explain how the software does all that wonderful stuff without any hardware between the battery and the motor?  And which route do I catch the TTC's electric soap box derby cart on?  That sounds like fun.

• Haha 4

12 hours ago, FabianColeyLOVESBUSES said:

3741 has entered service on the route 32 Eglinton West.  3745 has entered service on the route 71 Runnymede.

I don't know if the line poles are still there on Eglinton west of Avenue Rd. from the aborted trolleybus buildout.  If the line poles are still there on that section of Eglinton, it would be pretty wild to get pictures of an electric bus running there with them in the background where they intended to have electric buses, decades after the trolley bus expansion past Avenue Road fell through.  If they're gone now, it's wishful thinking for an interesting photo, but hey, this is the first time that I know of that an electric bus has carried passengers on Eglinton between Eglinton Station and Avenue Road in almost 29 years.

I saw 3732 on Eglinton West at the 427 interchange back on Tuesday morning which is the first time I've seen one of these in person.  Since I haven't ridden on one yet, that means the last time I set foot on a TTC electric bus would've been sometime back in late 92 or early 93.  So it's been a while.

On 10/7/2020 at 6:58 PM, Bus_Medic said:

The only poles left that I’ve seen lately are on Weston road southbound, immediately north of the 401 bridge.

Yeah, the TTC awarded a contract to Black and MacDonald several years ago to remove a lot of the abandoned line poles because they were starting to deteriorate badly and the TTC was worried that they'd eventually become a safety hazard.  A lot of them disappeared after that but they've hung around in some places where they're carrying other stuff and in a couple of places that got missed.  There's a bunch in various places around the junction still that have streetlights on them or 600 V feed cable going between the Bloor-Danforth subway and the St. Clair streetcar.  I'm planning a trip to the old neighbourhood sometime this upcoming week to do a bunch of errands and visit a couple of friends who still live there so I'm going to do a little driving around to see what's left around there for trolley bus infrastructure and see if Black and MacDonald

• Like 1