TTC Electric Buses

22 hours ago, Urban_Monkey Transit said:

I don’t know much about this subject, they might be doing both Hill Testing AND Operator Orientation at the same time. Maybe they are training operators in the BYDs while mechanics from the depot are tracking how the bus performs on hills. 

maybe. the training route is up to the instructor.  I never drove on the highway on a 40 foot nova training yet I drove a 60 footer Nova on the highway.  

7 hours ago, Someguy3071 said:

That hill is fun in winter time. I've never driven it in a bus but when I was a kid I used to ride it often. 87 as well with that stupid parking lot. Been on it a few times where backing up was required. 

87 will no longer service East York Acre during snow storms.  Morningside aka Morningslide is another hill is a route I try to avoid during winter.  

20 hours ago, Someguy3071 said:

I was being sarcastic ? That stop sign half way up sure make it more interesting. 

Good. That whole set up is just bad. They could have made a bus loop all the way at the bottom of the hill where the parking lot is. 

As a West-Ender I’ve tried in the regular weather on a DD50 and it freaked me right out

• 2 weeks later...

I assume they want more information from the industry before going into the market for buses.

And I could be mistaken, in one of the TTC meetings there was talk of sending out an RFP late this year for buses. I forget if it was talked about before Covid lockdown or just at the beginning.

Request for information on Hybird and Battery Electric Buses

TTC is looking for information about BEBs or HEVs that comply with the following requirements: 

• Must be certified by Transport Canada to be registered and operated in Canada
  • Must be a low-floor bus design between front & rear exit doors (minimum)
  • Must be compliant with the Accessibility for Ontarians Act - AODA requirements and Canadian Standard Association (CSA) Standard D345 
  • Must have large on-board energy storage capacity and utilize overnight garage depot charging
  • Must be capable of operating at ambient temperatures between -10° C and 35°C 
  • May be required to meet TTC Canadian Content requirements (25%) subject to funding  

On 5/29/2020 at 11:14 AM, FlyerD901 said:

TTC is looking for information about BEBs or HEVs that comply with the following requirements: 

• Must be capable of operating at ambient temperatures between -10° C and 35°C 

Huh, I wonder if they're counting on global warming? Otherwise, we have a fleet that could behave like the CLRVs in their later days, unable to go out when the polar vortex strikes.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Ed T. said:

Huh, I wonder if they're counting on global warming? Otherwise, we have a fleet that could behave like the CLRVs in their later days, unable to go out when the polar vortex strikes.

Worst case scenario, you plumb the passenger heat wabasto into the batteries’ liquid cooling circuit.

As for the pneumatic systems, they’ll use the same dryer as the diesel and hybrid fleet, so expect identical performance in that department.

On 5/30/2020 at 3:57 PM, Bus_Medic said:

Worst case scenario, you plumb the passenger heat wabasto into the batteries’ liquid cooling circuit.

As for the pneumatic systems, they’ll use the same dryer as the diesel and hybrid fleet, so expect identical performance in that department.

Do you mean an all diesel fleet with the ones using the mechanical transmission and the others with the electric generator? Hybrid buses are already clean diesels though.

2 hours ago, Shemar said:

#3718 has entered service on route 96A Wilson

More to go?

• 2 weeks later...