TTC Electric Buses

Interesting tidbit on the electric buses from the TTC Board meeting today... New Flyers are getting about 220km per charge, while the Proterras 180km... No data on the BYD obviously.

Also about quality of the buses as delivered, with the New Flyers having the least "snags" or issues as they call them, Proterras more, and BYD the most.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MK78 said:

Interesting tidbit on the electric buses from the TTC Board meeting today... New Flyers are getting about 220km per charge, while the Proterras 180km... No data on the BYD obviously.

Also about quality of the buses as delivered, with the New Flyers having the least "snags" or issues as they call them, Proterras more, and BYD the most.

If that is the case then I am wondering why TTC has been running more Proterras than they are running the New Flyers according to my observations from TransSee. 

3 hours ago, Finch East said:

If that is the case then I am wondering why TTC has been running more Proterras than they are running the New Flyers according to my observations from TransSee. 

It look like decisions are made at division level. Each division chooses how or what buses they are going to operate so the top management might not know the Flyers aren't going out much. 

2 hours ago, MK78 said:

In any case I think those are pathetic numbers. I don't know what a Diesel Nova or Hybrid Nova, but It's gotta be at least double for the diesel and hopefully more on a hybrid.

Obviously they have to be at least double those ranges. Those are pretty typical numbers for an electric bus today which makes them not suitable for mass adoption yet.

Some runs like 35 Jane #1 Run is around 425km (runs from 4am to 2:30xm the next morning). Obviously these runs can't go overnight charging battery electric. TTC do have runs that are in the 450-500km range. About half of the day run range are in the 250-350km.

Then we have routes like the 927 which would run out of gas if kept on the route all day. All day runs would finish up around 6-7pm. The afternoon peak runs would fill the remaining evening service. They might even need 3 shifts for electric buses.

Schedules would all have to be made for ebuses which leads to more deadheading. They might need a much larger fleet to handle all the charging and pay operators while buses are charging on route. I really don't see the TTC can handle more than 30% of the fleet being converted to electric.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, bus_7246 said:

They may start looking at on street charging, or overhead roof charging options since I’ve noticed the XE40s and BE40s that have been arriving this year have the roof charging port on them

I think that’s just a common build template.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1