TTC Electric Buses

14 hours ago, TTC 9701 said:

Brampton was suppose to share the results of the LFSe. But their Electric program got kyboshed from what I know.

The fast-charge electric bus trial is still happening in Brampton. Thanks in part to a contribution from the federal government.

• Thanks 1

On 1/4/2020 at 3:53 PM, splendidwizardplayer said:

I want to see you make a new bus for a different country in a other part of this planet from where your based in and make a new model and tech for said bus and have a deadline to follow and move to a new plant in said country. All by yourself.

Dude, they knew all this when they signed up for the tender. If Steve Munro’s take is correct, it was their lobbyists who persuaded the Commissioners to have this trial in the first place! They were not ready, their order was curtailed, they are still not ready. 

On 1/4/2020 at 4:38 PM, Shemar said:

It could be a lack of experience in building electric buses for Toronto's streets considering its their first Canadian eBus order.

First order, besides the two orders for St. Albert and one order for Grande Prairie. ?

Plus they more or less purpose built two for ETS for Winter testing a few years ago.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Doppelkupplung said:

Can I ask why we’re spamming this thread with these sightings? It’s common knowledge that they’re in service now. None of this is constructive.

I agree, people who want to know can check TransSee. It's a way to get posts up

• Like 1

Had a chance to try out the Proterra this evening. Much has been said about its unattractive exterior design, but in all honesty I find myself more vexed by the interior. The choice of nearly all perimeter seating in the LF section, as compared to the more intrusive 2+1 seating, is a plus, but the lack of a dedicated standee area, though nothing new, is sorely felt, and the bars in the rear door area are ridiculous. Great work, let's cut back on the already limited amount of standee room even more.

The rear high floor area is really crappily arranged. Is there a design consideration that prevents all these low floor buses from having the rear set up like the high floor buses of old (all perimeter seating shunted up against the wall)? Those were so much better. Seems the wheel wells on all these LF buses jut out way more.

And what the hell is this? I really wish they'd just cut the seat seen to the left hand of this photo, and just made this into a proper standee area that an adult could fit in.

Christ, I miss the Orion Vs.

proterra 9.png

• Like 4

Yeah thats stupid. Im sure its just for the wheelchair anchors. I've never seen anyone ever latch their wheelchair or mobility device into one of those seatbelt things, for as long as I've been riding in LF buses in Toronto, for me started  with the Orion VII's.

Myself I still prefer the Orion VII OG seating arrangement. 38 seats, and filled the rear floor as much as they could.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, PCC Guy said:

though nothing new, is sorely felt, and the bars in the rear door area are ridiculous. Great work, let's cut back on the already limited amount of standee room even more.

I suppose they didn't want to risk getting straps, laces etc stuck in the sliding door mechanism. Can't beat the interior space benefits of swing-out doors eh? Times like these make you appreciate any Orion interior layout; its the most intelligently designed in the fleet atm. 

38 minutes ago, PCC Guy said:

And what the hell is this? I really wish they'd just cut the seat seen to the left hand of this photo, and just made this into a proper standee area that an adult could fit in.

Christ, I miss the Orion Vs.

Guess there's probably a reason for doing that; though it would've been an ideal spot to put a mother and child seat, like on the Flexities (should dimensions allow). But heck I'm fine with that standing area, especially if it means I don't have to smell someone's breath. 

• Like 1

The problem in the high floor section is the size of the wheel housing due to the design of the axle. Putting all perimeter seats there makes for a narrow aisle. A seating arrangement like New York or Philadelphia appears to give a bit more space with less legs in the aisle.

• Thanks 4