TTC Electric Buses

7 hours ago, MK78 said:

And still not a single BYD officially delivered. At this rate they'll pass winter testing period which the others are already going thru.

They obviously cannot do their jobs properly.. They have no issues with Proterra and Flyer so why is BYD having too many issues...

30 minutes ago, TTC 9701 said:

They obviously cannot do their jobs properly.. They have no issues with Proterra and Flyer so why is BYD having too many issues...

This is what happens when you get new workers in a new factory building them. The Proterra and New Flyers come existing factories with experience on building them. It's like the Flexity's being built by people that never built a streetcar before. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, TTC 9701 said:

Obliviously you havent payed attention to the proterra news, their back doors have been giving alot of problems and a handful of them have broke down

• Like 2

11 hours ago, TTC 9701 said:

I want to see you make a new bus for a different country in a other part of this planet from where your based in and make a new model and tech for said bus and have a deadline to follow and move to a new plant in said country. All by yourself.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, splendidwizardplayer said:

I want to see you make a new bus for a different country in a other part of this planet from where your based in and make a new model and tech for said bus and have a deadline to follow and move to a new plant in said country. All by yourself.

Are you saying BYD is a one man operation?

But you can't just blame BYD for taking so long to deliver the 10 electric buses if you don't know the rationale of the slow process in building them. It could be a lack of experience in building electric buses for Toronto's streets considering its their first Canadian eBus order. It's better that they built only a few units first and have them sent to the TTC and if it's not built to the TTC specs then they can be sent back to the plant for modifications rather than to have them delivered and run into a crap load of issues that could potentially shorten their lifespan. Once BYD gets it done right then we'll see more of them being delivered albeit it only being 10 buses.

The BYD will seen a shorter lifespan anyways. A TTC presentation shows they use a carbon steel frame oppose to a stainless steel one on the Flyers. The Proterra is suppose to have a composite frame. TTC isn't buying them in hopes they survive for 15 years but just to test them their technology performance under regular TTC service. 

I think NFI is the most experienced bus builder and their vehicles would likely outlast the rest, especially for Canadian winters.

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Shemar said:

Hopefully the TTC also looks into the LFSe+ as well.

I wonder if there is some language in the contract with BYD, that if they don't deliver any buses by a specific date, if they can cancel the deal.

Then maybe they can look at LFSe+. Are these in production though? I think they've just been announced in late 2019.

16 minutes ago, MK78 said:

I wonder if there is some language in the contract with BYD, that if they don't deliver any buses by a specific date, if they can cancel the deal.

Then maybe they can look at LFSe+. Are these in production though? I think they've just been announced in late 2019.

That would defeat the purpose of testing that technology. The point is to have them deliver.

5 minutes ago, Xtrazsteve said:

That would defeat the purpose of testing that technology. The point is to have them deliver.

Sure, but if they can't deliver, or deliver a good number of units to test, who knows... The order was already cut from 20 to 10.

Just wondering if the TTC has imposed a timeline for getting some results.

2 minutes ago, MK78 said:

Sure, but if they can't deliver, or deliver a good number of units to test, who knows... The order was already cut from 20 to 10.

Just wondering if the TTC has imposed a timeline for getting some results.

They can't afford anything but diesel buses for the next few years so it doesn't really matter.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, splendidwizardplayer said:

Nope. Just the way the way he/she reacted to BYD's slow deliveries and how it's the workers fault.

The flip side to that is that the TTC is not in the business of mollycoddling wayward manufacturers. They have an order placed and are reasonable to expect that it is fulfilled according to the terms of the contract, whatever those may be.

To say nothing of your additional comment "All by yourself." to your original post. Is one person running the show at BYD? If they are not, I'm not sure why "TTC 9701" should have to do the same before criticizing their performance as a manufacturer.