TTC Electric Buses

15 minutes ago, CLRV4094 said:

I will give the Proterras credit for being able to at least handle some service, those Build Your Dreams will break down leaving the garage...

At least give them the opportunity to do so on their own, before producing the crystal ball from your rectum.

• Like 4
  • Haha 8

1 minute ago, dowlingm said:

I have occasionally wondered if TTC should have the concept of "seasonal vehicles", where CLRVs and e-buses could run through the milder parts of the year and Flexities and diesel burners handle the winter :D

And where would you store those massive fleets of vehicles that are only needed for 6 months of the year?

Dan

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dowlingm said:

I have occasionally wondered if TTC should have the concept of "seasonal vehicles", where CLRVs and e-buses could run through the milder parts of the year and Flexities and diesel burners handle the winter :D

OOoooh.  I like this idea.  I like it a lot.  That would be a throwback to pre-1921 times over a hundred years ago back before the TTC existed.  Some street railway companies did have summer and winter fleets where the opposite season's fleet would be parked during it's off season half of the year.  Others had summer and winter carbodies where they'd drop the summer open body on a set of trucks and then lift it off and drop a fully enclosed winter carbody on in the fall and it'd be changed out again in the next winter's spring.  With the way what's old is new again, the idea's got some merit.  Think of how it would play to all those 'retro' hipsters that don't know that we never called records "vinyl" back in the day and film photography wasn't "hard", it was the only way to take a picture.

2 hours ago, smallspy said:

And where would you store those massive fleets of vehicles that are only needed for 6 months of the year?

Dan

My suggestion, to properly capture the century plus old aspect of the idea of a summer and winter fleet of streetcars, would be to demolish a few condo buildings and build an accurate reproduction of a Toronto Railway Company carhouse from the original drawings.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, smallspy said:

Dan

Summer is easy - just put them wherever we pile snow in the winter.

Winter is a bit tricky, will have to think about that. Was thinking just use artificial cooling to create a thicker harbour ice layer and just use towing cables to slide them into place, but the pesky environmentalists would complain about tiny leaks of lubricant and stuff.

1 hour ago, dowlingm said:

Summer is easy - just put them wherever we pile snow in the winter.

Winter is a bit tricky, will have to think about that. Was thinking just use artificial cooling to create a thicker harbour ice layer and just use towing cables to slide them into place, but the pesky environmentalists would complain about tiny leaks of lubricant and stuff.

I'm surprised that you didn't think of simply stacking them up on each other like cordwood.

Dan